DOes anyone have comments on my choices?

Mar 31st, 2002, 07:32 AM
Gregg G

DOes anyone have comments on my choices?

I have been checking into this board for the last year or so and have offered afew comments of my own. Now I need your help. After numerous cup-o-noodle dinners, the wife and I managed to save enough $ to splurge on a trip to France. We are spending 3 weeks total. We arrive in Paris the last week of May (24) and will stay 1 week with my wife's aunt in Clignacourt. We have much to do and see in Paris (relatives, friends, and the sights)...so no 1 week is not too long. On June 4 we depart for Beaune for 2 nights at the hotel Grillon. We then depart for 2 night in Lyon at the hotel des Savoies. Then it's off to Grenoble to see some friends for 2 nights. Finally we head back to Paris, stopping in Tournus for 1 night. We may take an overnight excursion west from Paris to Normandy/Loire but that will be a spontaneous decision. Please critique my choices and/or offer any constructive comments. Also has anyone used europe-by-car? They seem to have the best prices around. Thank you in advance. G

Mar 31st, 2002, 07:47 AM
Rex

Sounds as solid as if you were a seasoned veteran, Greg.

I have very little to add.

A lunch suggestion on your way to Beaune: La Beursaudiere at Nitry.

A side trip to Briancon from Grenoble if you get the chance.

And do consider any one (or two) of the following for your day trip to Normandy or the Loire:

Chateau d'Esclimont for dinner (to make up for those cups o' noodles!)

or Chateau d'Artigny (Montbazon, near Tours - - for the same reasons)

Chartres!!

Giverny/Vernon/Les Andelys

And shall I assume that you have comparison shopped Autoeurope.com or leasing (typically requires 17 days minimum - - will you have a car while in Paris? - - since Clignancourt is not in "central" Paris).

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 31st, 2002, 09:54 AM
pam

Rex,
Tried looking this place up and came to a lovely site about a cottage, but it did not mention a restaurant attached to the establishment. Am I looking at the wrong site? I would like to take your suggestion and stop there for lunch when we travel from paris to beaune. Is this also on the way?
merci.

Mar 31st, 2002, 10:11 AM
Rex

Pam,

To the best of my knowledge, there is no mention of this place on the internet. And I no longer have an address or phone number. We found it on a recommendation from Chateau Longsard; it wasn't hard to find at the one autoroute exit at Nitry.

But here are a few details, excerted from previous posts.

Author: Rex ([email protected])
Date: 04/19/2000, 04:33 pm
Message: If you're headed in the direction of Dijon, exit at Nitry and have a meal (lunch or dinner) at La Beursaudiere - - from the words "beurre" and "sauter", to "beursauder" is to cook in butter - - and the crumbs and other "stuff" that accumulates in the pan are known as "les beursaudieres". Despite the charm of the term, the cuisine in this corner of Burgundy is called morvandaise - - and is based a lot on poaching in red wine. Guaranteed to cleanse your arteries and delight your palate as well.

==============================

Author: Rex ([email protected])
Date: 10/19/2000, 10:23 am
Message: A stop I recommend on your way back to Paris is in Nitry at La Beursaudiere; while they still have no real Internet presence, they are now a member of a cooperative which lists some hotels and an e-mail address for additional info about the region: www.auxerre.cci.fr/yonnhotels2.htm is a listing of members of the cooperative.

=====================================

I just now tried this website, and you now have to look at http://www.auxerre.cci.fr/annuaire3.htm - - though they still don't have this particular place. It may not matter - - it's an "aire de cuisine de terroir" (an area of regional home-cooking), I think.

Touristic attractions are also listed there at http://www.auxerre.cci.fr/annuaire6c.htm (French only, both webpages).

Mar 31st, 2002, 10:57 AM
ttt

to the top

Apr 1st, 2002, 05:58 AM
Gregg G

Rex-Thanks for the vote of confidence. Unfortunately we will not have time to stop on our way to Beaune as we have appointments to keep. We plan to have dinner that night at Lameloise in Chagny. Has anyone been? Please provide any feedback.

Not sure why you would think we need a car in Clignacourt. Isn't there a metro stop? I also think driving in Paris would defeat the purpose of having a relaxed vacation.

Does anyone have any recommendations for this part of Paris? Restaurants, bakeries, butcher, wine shops, etc... We already know about the marche au puce (sp?). G

Apr 1st, 2002, 07:33 AM
Joanne

Gregg: We stayed overnight at the Hotel des Savoies (80, rue de la Charite) in Lyon and it was pretty spartan, but clean. It was in a rather dingy neighborhood too. The advantage was the offstreet parking area next door to the hotel and, of course, the very inexpensive price.

If you have never been to Europe before, you might be surprised in the hotel when the hall lights go off. There are buttons spaced every few feet on the walls to push to put the lights back on again. I first encountered this in a bathroom in Italy. Quite a shock to suddenly be plunged into darkness.

In any case, the owners were very kind but spoke absolutely no English. We had a nice breakfast before we left the next morning. We were able to walk to an area with several restaurants.

If I can help further, feel free to e-mail me.

j

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:22 AM
Sue

Pam, here's a website for Beursaudiere that shows menus.
http://membres.lycos.fr/sortieecf/beusaudiere.htm

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:41 AM
Rex

Wow - - how did you find this Sue? with the mis-spelling and all!?

Like finding an old lost friend!

Thank you so, SO much.

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:07 PM
pam

Thank you so much Rex and Sue. The map they have is very simple to understand and I look forward with anticipation to lunch there.

Apr 1st, 2002, 01:17 PM
topping

for the sheer joy of the "reunion"!

Apr 1st, 2002, 02:16 PM
Sue

How funny--I didn't even notice the misspelling. I did a search on www.wanadoo.fr and ended up on the wine list (from whence it was easy to find home page) because it didn't have the name (hence the misspelling) in the URL. I just discovered that if I misspell it, the home page comes up.

Apr 1st, 2002, 04:35 PM
Topper

Topping for Gregg

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:07 AM

Once again to the top

Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:59 AM
topping

Topping once again.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:31 PM
Judy

Hi Gregg, why get into a car rental and all the hassle? Particularly since you will be seeing friends and relatives, why not take the train? Judy

Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:54 PM
What

Why doesn't http://membres.lycos.fr/sortieecf/beusaudiere.htm show up on my browser. Maybe I need the misspelled address.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:34 PM
Gregg

Judy,
We paln to visit friends only in Grenoble. In Burgundy and Lyon we plan to visit a winery or two. We have reservations in Chagny 1 night. This would mean a lot of cab fares. After taking recommendations from others I felt the car would be easiest and most economical. Train fares + reservations + cab fares seems to add up to more. Is my assumption correct? I have changed my plans slightly. Rather than stay in Tournus we want drive closer to Paris and have decided to stay in Vezelay. This puts us closer to Paris. Any comments on Vezelay/Saint Pere? We plan to stay at L'Esperance. G

Apr 6th, 2002, 06:34 AM
topping

TTT for Julie & Gregg

Apr 8th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Margaret

I would skip the Hotel Crillon. My husband and I stayed there on our honeymoon. I wished I had stayed at The Ritz or the Plaza Athenee. The service was disappointing for what we paid. If not those hotels there are others that fellow Fodorites could recommend.

PS The American Embassy is next door and with all of the problems right now I would not want to be situated next to a possible target.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO