Does anyone else NOT like Barcelona?

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone else NOT like Barcelona?

So my husband and I are in Barcelona and to be quite honest, feel that the city is really over-hyped. The food isn't very good, the city doesn't have the same buzz as other European capitols. It's a little like flying 6000 miles to see San Diego. Let us know what were doing wrong and please don't suggest the Ramblas or anything Gaudi.......and please dont post nasty messages. We genuinely want to know what we are doing wrong.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:46 AM

you may not be doing anything at all wrong, it's just not good 'chemistry' perhaps.
Many people love Vienna, I didn't.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:46 AM

I didn't care for it much at all, it is terribly overrated, I too was disappointed. Awfully touristy too!
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:50 AM

> the city doesn't have the same buzz as other European capitols.

It's not the capital, maybe thats why. I'm not being nasty, honest. I have never been to Spain, but if you aren't enjoying Barcelona, then maybe others can suggest side-trips/day-trips ?
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Are you still in Barcelona?

I had fairly low expectations for it, and I actually liked it quite a lot. There's a lot of variety -- Montjuic, Passeig de Gracia, the old part of town, etc. I liked it so much that this is one of the places I'd contemplate visiting again.

Which European cities are your favorite?

Foodwise, I didn't have any great culinary revelations when I was there, but that could be due to the restaurants I picked. In case you're unaware, the cognoscenti are now declaring Spain a hotbed of culinary revolution. France is staid, but Spain is exciting. El Bulli, Ferran Adria's restaurant, is two hours away from Barcelona.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Wow, I thought I was an oddball too, because everybody I talked to said that Barcelona is absolutely the most wonderful city in the world. Mind you, you must remember that everyone enjoys places for different reasons, and you can't apply one person's tastes to someone else. I much more enjoyed France because I speak fluent French but hardly any Spanish (my fault, yes), so I found the language barrier to be quite bothersome to me. I did find the architecture to be quite beautiful, and I was glad to take the Bus Turistic to give me an overview of the sights. However, I heard so much about Las Ramblas and how it is a must, and when I walked down it, I said to myself "is that it?!".
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I believe a personal remational reaction to a particular city is like falling in love... impossible to explain why it does or doesn't happen, whom it does or doesn't happen with!

I was so excited to see Amsterdam, and "we" just didn't click (for example). But send me to Venice or Paris... ahhhhhhh now that's LOVE.

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<remational> that would be emotional ~LOL
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:58 AM

The only thing you are "doing wrong" is wasting your energy going on a guilt trip. Your experience was obviously different than the ones others have had...what is "wrong" with that? It's a fact. If the place appealed to everbody in the same degree then EVERYBODY would be going there all the time.

However, I do think you should be careful on the one hand admonishing everyone not to "post nasty messages" and then YOU turn around and imply that San Diego is the pits. Keep doing stuff like that and people WILL start thinking there IS "something wrong" with you.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 09:00 AM

For what it's worth, I think that each major city probably requires two visits, at least. The first time I was in Amsterdam, I disliked it, but I liked it much better when I was there a second time. My opinion of London has also changed, from "I don't really like it" to "I quite like it" to "I don't care much for it."

Cities change; we change. That's what makes travel interesting.

Also, keep expectations low. I find that I'm much more pleased when I've no idea what to expect.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 09:16 AM

I have never been to Barcelona. I plan to go in the next year or so, hopefully I'll make it there soon. I know lots of people that didn't care for it and equally as many people who raved about it (the big draw for many seemed to be the Gaudi architecture).

I have the advantage of being in the UK so it's an easy hop over there and if I end up a little disappointed, then it's no big deal.

However, I was curious as to your comparison with people travelling a long way to San Diego. I have done that (although it was just a small part of a trip round California). I'd be interested to know why you make this comparison. I really enjoyed San Diego, it's on my list of places to go back to but of course we all like different things - if we didn't, how boring would this forum become?!
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 10:46 AM

Since you are there now, I assume you will be for a little while longer. So, I'll offer some alternatives to get out of the city:

Take the train to Monserrat and do some hiking. Go to the vineyards north of Barcelona and drink some wonderful cava. You can spend a day doing each of these.

Take the train to another city - like Stiges.

You could go to the chocolate museum. I thought it was really fun and something different (ask where it is at the tourist office - it's a few blocks from the Picasso Museum, which might be another good choice).

Go up Montjuic and see the Olympic site. You can swim in the pool up there if you want.

Sorry you don't like it. I loved Barcelona, but everyone is different.

Karen
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 11:24 AM

I was there this past May and I agree generally with what you are saying. I've been to many other places and Barcelona really didn't do it for me either. Didn't hate it; didn't love it. I'm glad I went to judge it for myself, but it's not a place I would have any desire to go back to. But that's the life and lessons of travel. Some places you will love, some places, not so much. At least you get to experience it for yourself.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Really, Amanda, as a resident of San Diego for 40 years I'm marginally offended by your remark. Pray tell, what's the city of your residence?
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Well, I told her that this would happen and I guess I should have added that I am actually flying TO San Diego tomorrow (but only going 3000 miles) and VERY MUCH looking forward to being back in that city.

Oh, well, I guess some things and places simply cannot hold a candle to living in Backwater Where God Lost His Shoes.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:36 PM

I agree. No guilt trips. Sometimes places just don't click for whatever reason. My husband and I loved Barcelona; but, that doesn't mean that you have to. It's not too late to read through Maribel's guide and see what might appeal to you in the area. (www.maribelsguides.com) Karen's idea to get out of the city is also a good one. I'm not sure how long you plan to stay, or how flexible your plans are regarding moving on to someplace else, or what you and your husband really love to do. I'll offer a few suggestions that are more off the beaten track, less touristy and perhaps might appeal:

The Maritime museum is well done with an English speaking hand-held wand you can take as your personal guide. (Other languages are also available.) This is a neat place if either of you has an interest in Naval History. The day we went we had the place mostly to ourselves and loved the quiet and solitude.

We also loved the MNAC at Montjuic. If you have been to the Cloister's in New York and enjoyed that vist, you would enjoy this special museum.

Figueras might be a day-trip if you enjoy Salvadore Dali's work.

I hope your trip turns for you and you have a good time together in spite of not connecting with Barcelona.

If the Catalan food isn't to your liking, try some of the ethnic places. If that doesn't do the trick, head to the basement of El Corte Ingles near La Plaza Catalunya and get groceries for a picnic. (You'll also find a good wine selection here.)

- Sharon
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:42 PM

The Miro foundation is also on Montjuic. I don't especially care for Miro, but I liked this.

The cable car rides to Montjuic are really fun, I thought.

Barcelona also has an opera house called the Liceu, which was burned down and rebuilt, I believe. It's on Las Ramblas, next to the big covered market whose name I forget. I didn't get a chance to see a performance here, but this could be another fun option. Keep expectations low and see if you can find some cheap tickets.

As strange as this sounds, we really enjoyed a meal at a Thai restaurant. I think that it's called "Thai Garden," but I don't know for sure. It's near Passeig de Gar(ra?)cia. It comes recommended by "Time Out Barcelona," but the edition I used had a misprint so the address was wrong. We had a hard time finding it, and I wrote the editor when I came back.

So if you're still there, there're still lots of ideas!
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Very interesting what you say about Barcelona. I think a lot has to do with the people. They are quite serious, the people from Barcelona, and their city has had a lot of ups and downs over the years. The 1992 Olympics has helped to put Barcelona on the tourist map but it is a relatively new tourist destination although there is tremendous hype about the city.

I think it would be interesting for you to read A Homage to Barcelona by the Irish writer Colm Tobin. See http://www.colmtoibin.com/books/nonf...ona/index.html for more info.

I also suggest reading BarcelonaWalks by George Semler, an American living in Barcelona. http://www.georgesemler.com/
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:58 PM

amanda: I am sorry you are having a disapointing time.

I absolutely adore Barcelona and Gaudi but, as others have said, we all have different reactions to different cities.

Lenci's recommendation re BarcelonaWalks is an excellent one - it is by far the finest city guide book I have ever read. If you could find it in Barcelona, it would provide some depth and context to the city. It certainly added enormously to my enjoyment of the city.

Maybe you could consider getting out of the city for a few days. I know you may have already paid for your hotel in Barcelona, but if you are miserable it would be better to spend a few hundred more to get yourself happy again - I am sure this is a well-earned and much looked-forwar to vaction.

I would recommend Girona, a lovely old town, which could easily be done as a day trip. If you rent a car, you could visit the Aiguabrava area and stay in the fantastic Parador which has wonderful views over the ocean.

Another option would be to spend a couple of days in France. You can take a three hour train ride north to Perpignan or, better still, drive.

Best wishes ... Ger

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 04:21 PM

Me, me!

I came up to Barce from Tarragona one day in 1966, drove down the Ramblas, and then got back to Tarragona fast.

Harzer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -