Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you really need B&B reservations in Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Diana

Hello, my teenage daughter and I will be in Ireland for 2 weeks starting the last week in June. We have 3 nights booked in Dublin and 2 nights at Cregg Castle out of Galway but would like to wing the rest of the trip and stay in B&Bs. Am I nuts to go without reservations during high season? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Annie

You should be okay. Just check ahead that there are no major events in the towns you plan to visit.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Susan Abentrod

Not only are you not nuts, you're quite smart. One of the main charms of Ireland is the unexpected lanes that meander off the beated track. If you book everything in advance you may not be able to take the time to explore. Besides it's fun to begin the day not knowing exactly where you'll end up. Ireland is an adventure! Just be sure to take the most current B&B book provided free of charge from the Irish Tourist Board which lists hundreds of B&B's. If on the very off chance that those are filled in the area you want to spend the night, simply ask the proprietor to recommend somewhere else and they are sure to find you a marvelous place. My husband and I have been going to Ireland for years and have never had any difficulty getting a room, even in the hight of the tourist season.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Ger

I assume you are driving ... <BR> <BR>From personal experience, there are certain towns that are very popular during the tourist season, particularly if the weather is good (the city dwellers escape for the weekend to the coast). You will rarely be without a room at night - someone will put you up, but be prepared to "compromise"! <BR> <BR>I would never leave it too late in the day to find somewhere. My husband and I, when we wing it, usually like to book a B&B in the next destination by the early afternoon. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your holiday.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Joanna

Agree with the above, try to find a place by no later than 3.00, or you might find you're spending time going from B&B to B&B to see if they have any vacancies. We struck this problem in in Killarney in September, which is by no means the high season.