Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you let your DH pack his own clothes? Help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH is finally taking an interest on what clothes he wants to take (we leave in 3 days). I can deal with some jeans and casual slacks, even cargo pants, but he wants to take two hats, one baseball cap and one old, tatttered camo duck hunting style hat that has earflaps he can pull down if it gets cold. It's great for where we live, but Paris!!! Please, help me convince him otherwise?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM

how difficult is it to steal the key and make some adjustments?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:22 PM

one hat should suffice. but you need to be comfortable whether you are going to paris or duluth.

so, if you donīt like how he dresses in general, lay out the clothes YOU would like him to take along for cetain dinners, etc. and let him take what he wants to "tour " in.

if it gets gripping cold, he may even let you wear his hat on the evening boat ride, as i am sure you are not taking one like that.. right?

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:26 PM

My husband packs whatever he likes (though I've gently retrained him somewhat over the years). He packs a sport jacket/blazer and I choose a shirt and tie and toss it in my suitcase (lest he select plaid/plaid/stripe or whatever) for going to a nicer restaurant.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Herself expects me to choose my own clothes and do my own packing, and she looks after her stuff. That is how I think it should be.

The only point on which we co-ordinate is degree of formality: if we are likely to go anywhere where dress a code applies. The key indicator is whether or not I intend to pack a tie.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

I like the idea of putting what I want him to wear in my suitcase. I would never change items without letting him know--I do want to continue traveling with him. I hope we have warm weather, maybe he won't need the hat.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:55 PM

pray for a heat wave.

hey.. donīt worry too much about it.
itīs only a hat, and if it is cold, everyone will be wearing some thing or another!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Absolutely, I'm not his mother. I'm not about to pack for someone else. He can wear what he wants and be as un/comfortable, un/fashionable as he wants. Doesn't concern me one way or the other.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:01 PM

My first thought is that I never think about what I LET my husband do ... how old is your husband? You are going to Paris but he is unaware of how to dress ? Or are you joking about the Elmer Fudd hat?

It might be too late but you can always try to just explain to him how people dress in France and maybe he will get excited about trying something new..good luck!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Ditch the baseball cap and the duck flaps.

Padraig, I agree with your assessment, except my wife can't pack. For a recent business trip (5 nights in Ft. Lauderdale)I got her down to 'only' 59 pounds. I had to check her in as I'm a premier person so she didn't have to pay the weight fee.

If you each can pack well, then do so, otherwise FainaAgain has the right idea.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM

OK- this is really funny - and hits home. My DH and I had this discussion last night - and I asked him PLEASE not to bring the camping "flap" shirt or the pants that have zip off bottoms and become shorts - but oh well,, after 15 yrs of marriage - you just gotta laugh! I'm sure he'll bring both, plus a few baseball caps, topsiders and maybe even buy some new silly fisherman's hat! I've asked him not to bring the fanny pack that becomes this overstuffed thing weighing about 20 lbs - told him I heard it was a sure sign of tourist and he'll likely get robbed - but told me he always wears it in the front and will protect it with his life! What can i Say - He's very attached to his things!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:17 PM

"pray for a heat wave"

Haha -- I am actually praying for cooler weather so my husband will wear long pants. My hubby loves his cargo shorts (and I'll admit the pockets are handy). I tried gently explaining that I've heard grown men in Europe do not wear short pants, and my 6', 210lb husband replied that he'd like to see someone try to come up and tell him he's not a grown man. Ugh. He has to wear suits all week to work (as do I), so he is not happy when I suggest that he wear nicer clothes on vacation. I will probably slip a pair of his dress pants and nice shoes into my bag "just in case" (although that leaves less room for my clothes).
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM
nma

This makes me thankful that my husband can not only pack appropriately for himself, but he does his own laundry as well!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:28 PM

jeez nma.. Does he iron, too?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Geez, I pack myself, do my own laundry, and hers. Do the cleaning, grocery shopping and 90% of the cooking. I'm retired and my DW still works, so I better do my part while she gets up at 5:30 to go to work.
Dave
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Dave, I hope that when she gets up at 5.30 you have a freshly made breakfast ready for her.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM

She quietly leaves the house and I get up around 7. Then play housewife.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You are lucky to have a husband to go to Paris with. Myself, I would let him pack whatever he wants and be thrilled about it.
;-)suze
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:37 PM

lincasanova, My DH does his own ironing and on occasion mine also, I developed a technique of putting more wrinkles in a garment while trying to iron them out

My husband is great in so many respects but not when it comes to packing for a vacation. For business he never has a problem but for vacation trips he just doesn't pack enough. He always seems to forget something---like the business trip/vacation he forgot his dress shoes. I really didn't want to spend my vacation shopping for dress shoes but his walking shoes looked terrible with his tux!!!

So I have Ron lay what he would like to take along and then I add things as I see the need.

He did draw the line at the capri length pants I saw alot of European men wearing. I thought they looked great, husband said NOT. Deborah
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM

rastaguy...got her down to 59 pounds.

How many pair of shoes did she take for the five days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -