Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you have to "exit" Heathrow to go to the Hilton or Yotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 7-hour daytime layover at Heathrow and was thinking of doing a day stay at the Hilton there, or possibly the Yotel (www.yotel.com) once it opens in the summer.

For those kinds of hotels, do I have to "exit" the airport - i.e. will I have to re-enter security again for my connecting flight? Or are they considered part of the secure area?

Also, will the airlines check my luggage the whole way through, or do I have to pick it up and recheck it?

I'm flying JFK-LHR-MAD-JNB, using AA for the JFK-LHR flight, then LHR-MAD on Iberia, and MAD-JNB on Iberia, with long layovers in LHR and MAD.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:26 PM

The Hilton is the only hotel IN heathrow at the moment (Yotel opening in the SUmmer). The Hilton is in T4 and you will have to exit security, take the train from T3 to T4 and walk along a tunnel (about 7 mins) get to the hotel. Iberia flies from T2, so its the same process on the way back. BTW, there T1, T2, T3 are all served by the one station. Total time from terminals to Hilton can be from 20-30 mins.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Have to exit terminal 4 for the Hilton, which is connected to terminal 4 but by a long walkway so it's not a part of the terminal per se.

If landing at terminals 1,2,3 take the free Heathrow Express train to terminal 4 and the airport Hilton.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 01:49 PM

To be more precise you have to pass through UK passport control and on your return you pass through security.

However even if you stay airside you will pass through security on the way to your departure gate EVEN if it's at the same terminal.

As for luggage, most airlines will check luggage through even if they won't give you boarding cards for your onward flights.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM

And if you use the HEX between terminals ensure you get on one going the right way - unless you want to end up at Paddington
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:56 PM

The Yotel is described as going to be "inside T4". What "inside" will mean is anyone's guess, but Heathrow's security system means you - and 80% of the airport's other passengers - won't under any circumstances be allowed airside at T4. So it's virtually certain the Yotel will be landside (ie everyone has to go through incoming passport control to get to it)

As Alan says, whatever you do at Heathrow you have to go through security again to get on another plane: quite rightly, our government doesn't trust ANY other country's airline security. And you have to go through immigration, UNLESS you make a direct airside transfer to your ongoing Madrid flight.

By the way, don't assume your Madrid flight goes from T2. That is where Iberia flies from, but they also codeshare with BA, so apparently IB flights to Madrid also depart from T1.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Anyone any idea when the yotel is actually going to open? The Gatwick one should have opened in April, now it is meant to be May but I can't find any details!

Carolena
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Yotel at Gatwick is now taking bookings but does anyone know if they are actually open? Anyone stayed there?
Kay
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
From the website:

>>Update
London Gatwick will be open from mid June.

We will be taking bookings on our new website from 30 May.

Inside Terminal 4 at Heathrow in the summer<<

So it appears LGW isn't open yet (unless they are doing a "soft opening" ) and no firm date for LHR