Do you find that travel empowers you?

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you find that travel empowers you?

I think it does. I recently returned from a trip to Italy and France and find myself a new person. I was left alone in Milano by two friends who decided to return home because they missed their families and couldn't deal with all the stress of travel.

I found myself on that trip and I realize that I can do so much more than I thought I could do. I learned to navigate on my own in a foreign land without speaking much of the language. I planned out my trip day by day seeing the art museums I wanted to see because I actually had read up on the artist's lives. I have many books on the artists and found some of the places they lived and worked.
I learned how to use the rail system just by doing it. When I thought I couldn't do something I would have a heart to heart talk with myself and convinced my doubting self to go ahead and try something new.

Now that I have returned, I have much more courage and have lost my self doubt and second guessing. I can do it! If I can get by like I did for three weeks on my own I can handle what comes to me here in my hometown. I even speak up for myself where before I would just grumble to myself. I found that I am a woman who is a whole person, not needing companionship to be whole but welcoming it when it is there.
I have to say too that I learned alot about self-reliance by some of the posters here who sieze the opportunity to travel and expand their horizons.

Has this happened to you?

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 10:20 PM

"Has this happened to you?"

Yes. but nobody noticed.

Harzer
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Well, I don't think it matters if no one else noticed - that is the point.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 11:04 PM

chardonnay, you go, girl! I had a similar experience on a "trip" many years ago. We are often much stronger than we realize. How wonderful to recognize it on a trip to Italy rather than through great adversity.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:00 AM
ira

Hi Chardonnay,

Good for you. When are you going again?

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Yes, there's nothing like that feeling of self-reliance. I'm glad you went on with your trip after your friends baled out on you. Now you know you can handle all the "foreign" things in life.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:09 AM

Chardonnay, are you sure you're not the ghost writer of my new book?

It's no secret to in-the-know fordorites that my first husband dumped me in Venice with half a trip left to go. Instead of trains, I had a stick-shift I had to find and, when I found it, I had to learn how to drive it back to Rome. You're damn right it empowered me...that and a whole lotta therapy later. Carpe diem, dear.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:19 AM

Hi chardonnay,

What a great story. I'm so happy that you decided to stay and were able to work things out for yourself and realized you are stronger than you knew.

Travel is transforming and enriching and does change our lives.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 07:16 AM

My dear chardonnay,
You have discovered on your own the secret of being a successful traveler. Flexability and an open mind will help you find all the resourcefulness you'll ever need. You did it! Sometimes I find myself saying "where is that brave girl who hauled her luggage onto a quai, and a train in Marseille all alone?" if/when I feel a weak moment coming on. Having these experiences to remind us how strong we are has made all the difference in the world!

Continued Good Travels to You,
BC
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Chardonnay: You bet it's empowering and good for you. When faced with a difficult situation, I always say to myself, if you could figure out the Italian rail system, get yourself onto a train, onto a ferry and onto a little island in the Bay of Naples, with very limited Italian, all by yourself, you can do .......... whatever. It really changes the way you see yourself. Congrats!!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Ally75

bookchik, good point (about remembering the courageous things one has done when feeling less than that) Blessings to you too, by the way.
I passed this post up at first because reading about travel often makes me fretful because I'm not able to travel as much as I once did, but now I'm glad I read it! You all have amazing stories! I agree that you learn so much from travel, gathering from strength you didn't know you had. I've travelled around the world by myself and some of my better trips have been alone. That was so long ago I'm not sure I could do it again, but reading the posts makes me know I could! Travel is one of the finest things one can do! You all are making me smile, now, remembering back on some of my experiences! THANKS!!

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 09:37 AM

What a timely post! Thank you all!
I leave this Saturday for Paris. I had always travelled before with friends. Month's ago, I made these arrangements for me. That said, <grin>, this week, I noticed I was starting to get a case of "cold feet"...doesn't match well with my hot flashes! ...er... make those "power surges" (?)
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 09:41 AM

My first travels as an adult were on my own and I found that I liked the feeling of being free to decide what to do and where to go and how long I would stay. Of course, there is the missing the sharing of sights and sounds, but it is empowering, you do find that you are capable of taking care of all sorts of situations on your own!
And there are always such lovely surprises along the way, that you would have missed if you had been with a companion.
These days I do travel with someone else, and that is good too. But I know I was a stronger more adventurous girl because I did it by myself!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 09:52 AM

It makes me feel empowered also with experience and accomplishment. It is a neat feeling when someone talks about a building in a book and you know what it smells like inside because you have been there. It's the feeling of getting out in the world and educating yourself about other cultures. I have also traveled alone frequently ever since I was a child of divorced parents flying alone back and forth and I think it is a great thing to have courage and independence. Most of us are stronger than we think when faced with adversity. Cheers to us.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:25 AM

Most definately it's empowering all around. I have relatives, who literally, (as weird as this sounds) trembled with fear when I told them I was going to Kenya. But I went, survived, and opened my eyes to an entirely different world appart from the Industrialized west and in some ways superior...(some ways not so, as any place).
Travel is so important for people.. particularly young people. I learned more during my "year backpacking" through Europe then I did during 4 years at college. Empowering all around as an individual.. but also, with my husband.. when we survive food poisoning, missed trains, shifty shopkeepers,,, lost baggage or delays.. it lets us know that together we can overcome ANYTHING.. and that is such a great feeling to have.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:35 AM

I agree that is empowering to travel and broaden our horizons (literally).

I, too, love the feeling of experiencing something first hand where it actually happened.

Even something like visiting the humble beginnings of the Beatles on a Beatle Tour in Liverpool changed the way I felt about their music.

When I see a painting in a book or magazine that I have seen in person and maybe seen where that artist lived makes the painting come alive.

These are just a few examples of how travel enriches us, whether we are going it alone or with someone, we can do it!

Thryra that is so beautiful what you wrote about you and your husband.