Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you check in for your flight via on-line, check-in machine or just stand in line?

Search

Do you check in for your flight via on-line, check-in machine or just stand in line?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious.

I flew out of Seatac last week. I thought I could use a check-in machine for BA. There was none. I got stuck standing in line for over 1.5 hours. There were two kinds of lines: one for drop-off baggage for people who had checked in online and a standard line.

If I had known I could check-in online, I would have.

Lesson learned.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've checked in at the check-in machine at Barcelona airport when flying with BA and it was fabulous! Did the same thing last month flying back from NYC. I would do it that way anytime it's available. I don't know why, but I'm hesitant about checking in online.

I don't mind standing in line, as long as it's not too long a wait, but last year when we were checking in for our flight to Barcelona, we were given emergency row seats this way, so I'd be willing to wait in line again just for that!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:26 AM

Although my experience is limited (Delta only and Air France through Delta), I'm not sure that one CAN check in on-line - my impression is that it has something to do with international rather than domestic travel (for which I always check in on-line).

KC
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:35 AM

Always check-in on line when I can - I'll even check-in on-line and then print the boarding pass when I get to the airport (for example if I am in a hotel room where there is no printer.

With a printed boarding pass you can go straight to security, assuming you only have carry-on.

It is not just for domestic but not all airlines have it and for those that do, it is not available for flights from all airports.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:35 AM

I don't know if the rules are different now, after London's events, but for domestic flights you could check-in at home.

For international, if this is your first flight with the airline, you should check-in at the airport. If you fly again with the same passport, you can check-in on-line.

This is how a Continental agent had explained it to me.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all your comments.

It doesn't sound like there are any set rules yet. It just depends on the airlines and/or the airport. Makes it a bit confusing.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:50 AM

I've flown BA out of Seatac a few times (although not since 2005) and don't remember having the option...in general I always check in online if the option is provided.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:51 AM

I always check in online if possible. I know that some airlines don't allow online check-ins or check-in machines for international travel. I always make a habit of checking the airline websites to see what forms of check-in they allow to explore all options before I head to the airport.

Tracy
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:52 AM

Correct. It depends on airline and airport. But no question about it - do it online if you can.

One can now check-in for international flights on Continental, even if one hasn't had the passport scan at a kiosk before. Not an issue anymore. They are really the leader among US airlines for allowing OLCI.

Exceptions are for flights departing from a few airports: BRU, DUB, GCM, GVA, SNN, CDG and ZRH. That's a short list out of all the destinations CO serve.