Do you bring any EURO's with you?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typically when I've travelled I just use the ATM in the airport (BTW-is there on at the FLorence airport?) but I haven't been to mainland Europe since Euro's started. Anyway I think I've convinced my mom not to bring travellers checks to Italy and to rely on ATM's. She still wants to get a few Euro's before she goes? Is that neccessary?
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:06 AM

This has been a part of many threads and there are varied opinions.

I'm of the opinion it is totally not necessary as there are ATM's all over the civilized (and non civilized) world in the 21st century. Besides, she might not need euro immediately upon arrival depending on how she is getting into town etc.

The counter argument is who wants to be bothered after a tiring trans Atlantic flight so it's a detal I'll take care of before leaving even though I know I'm throwing away money as you get far far worse rates in exchanging currencies than ATM's even more so when you do it in North America.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:08 AM

Necessary? Probably not. If it makes her feel better to do so, let her get some--maybe $100 worth. I always bring some (usually leftovers from a previous trip) just in case there is some really odd event like ALL the ATMs are broken at the airport. However, I live in NYC and can get euros at the bank on the corner. It might be more difficult where you live.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:11 AM

I am of the opinion of bringing 150-200 Euros with me and getting anything else once there. I just don't like taking the chance of something happening with my ATM card and I really don't want to mess with it after being on a 10-12 hour flight. I find peace of mind is worth the extra $10-$15 it costs. Most banks don't charge a service fee for the currency transfer and they are a few cents higher on the exchange rate.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:13 AM

I usually bring the leftovers from the previous trip if I have any. I've experienced one instance during which I arrived at an airport (Milan-Linate) and the only ATM I could find was inoperable (I should have gotten some Euros at the airport in Frankfurt where I changed planes but stupidly didn't).

Let her take some..no MORE than $100 worth..and rely on local ATMs to get the rest.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:13 AM

I always arrive with $100-$200 (US) worth in my pocket. I'm not advocating it, simply stating that's what I do.
When I get it from my bank, I ask for small denomination bills/coins, so I can easily use them for a taxi or tips on arrival.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:24 AM

We always go with about 100 EUR in cash - not really necessary - but we like to be extra prepared. We usually have them left from a previous trip - but if not I would assume that you would have a bureau de change (bad rate though) in any airport with international flights.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Especially if your Mom is bravely giving up TC's, let her get $200 worth of Euro from your bank at home.

This is a question I always answer, "no need - get them from an ATM when you arrive" but often find for myself, I DO get some pre-trip if I don't have leftovers from my last trip.

I am of the school that the more methods to obtain money you have the better, because you just never know. So ATM card, credit card, US cash, Euro, and yes sometimes a TC or 2 tucked into my suitcase for emergencies, depending on the length and type of trip.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:34 AM
ira

Hi smiley,

Your mother can buy $100 worth of euro at the departure airport. It will cost about $3 more than getting the euro in Italy.

She will feel better.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 06:35 AM

We went to Europe a few weeks and we didn't bring euros or travelers checks. (My first time going overseas without those checks!) We used an ATM at the airport in Paris when we arrived.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks I'll tell her to get some before she leaves (it will make her fell better) I didn't even think about using the ATM's at the connection airport (Munich) Great idea! we have a 3 hour layover...
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 08:23 AM
cmt

I always take some Euros with me. I don't want to have to wait around for a free ATM machine when I'm jetlagged and my hands are, or should be, occupied with safeguarding my luggage. Atm machines are very common in cities, but they're pretty scarce or nonexistent in some rustic parts of Italy.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Yes, I would bring some euros if I were you to start off your trip. I usually bring 100-150 euros that get me through the first couple days, transportation transfers, etc. However, just bringing as few as 50 euros would help. I usually withdraw money later once I have settled in the place where I will be staying.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 09:47 AM

Smiley, the question is: how important is this for you to make your mom worry to end up in a foreign country without local currency? I know she is not right, but can't you just let it go and get her some euro?

Next year I'm planing a european trip with my son, and I'm sure we'll disagree on getting euro, so I'll just get some without him knowing it, so both will be satisfied.

I hope this is the only "really important" disagreement you have with your mom.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Don't worry it's not a disagreement, I just told her she probably didn't need any and that we could get some at the airport and left it at that.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We always bring euros because some (most) B&Bs do not accept credit cards as also some cafes and also at the flea markets. I can't waste prescious few days looking for the ATM.
The Hotels and shops usually all accept the cards and you'll hopefully get a better rate when the bill comes.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 10:08 AM

I brought enought euros to pay for our apartment upon arrival, which was a good idea because none of the ATMs at the Rome airport were working when we arrived on a Sunday morning. Ended up changing some american dollars for euros to pay for the limo too.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I always bring about $100 with me. Yes, there are ATMs at any airport, but like in Dublin, the ATM is not on the same floor as the arrivals area, then you're schlepping your luggage up and down escalators and the ATMs were empty when I got there. Not worth the hassle for me with jetlag and dying for food and a shower. I'd rather have cash to get me into the city. My bank charges no commission and I'm out about $3 max on the exchange total. Usually with euros I have some leftover from last time anyway.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 04:56 PM

There are many people using this message board who've kept a couple of hundred dollars worth of TCs for years. If you are a frequent traveler to the euro countries, why not just keep a couple of hundred dollars worth of euro instead?
It would be a much more practical choice. Its ready to be used there, doesn't need to be exchanged with exorbitant fees/poor rates, and every now and again at home, you can pull them out and think about that next trip!