Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do we really seek comfort in other people's misery?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the talk of travel stress, personal space violations, and the rise in rude and obnoxious behavior (among passengers and airline officials alike), along comes "Turbulent Manners Unsettle Fliers," by Laura Mansnerus at NYTimes.com.

You need to register (free) to access the article. Enjoy!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 10:58 AM

I read the article in the Travel Section on the NYTIMES yesterday, and whilst I agree that people in airports could use a few years at a Swiss finishing school, courtesy should not only extend from the passenger to the airline employee, but vice-versa.

I am sick to death of RUDE air hostesses and counter agents who LIE. (I usually find myself face-to-face with modern-day Madame Chiang k'ai-Sheks.)

However, violence and vulgar verbal abuse are not solutions to airport problems. This why I advocate that every airline passenger receive a free Valium upon check-in
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:02 AM

No Valium here.....but a Belgian waffle would go a long way!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:27 AM
annaj

ThinGorjus:

Thanks for making my day as the tears are streaming down my face.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Thin. I stopped home delivery and don't know what appears in the actual newspaper anymore.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:13 PM

John, a promise of some chocolate would make me behave
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
John......rofl!!
MUAH!!!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Chocolate would work for me to, Scarlett, but, unfortunately, too many airline passengers are overweight as it is. I don't want an even bigger Godiva-enhanced thigh moving into my seat from the person sitting next to me. That is the beauty of drugs--no calories. (It is a shame that nobody can invent diet gin.)

No, I am am an advocate of Huxlian (Is that a word? We will have to consult our prescriptive grammarian, St. Cirq, on that one.) soma therapy. Drugs can be a major panacea for airport stress. I think John Kerry should add it to his political platform.

Hi Mimi.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 05:44 PM

I, personally, very much appreciate that the "rules" are being enforced these days.

It's ever so nice that folks are NOT allowed to board out of order, so as to inconvenience everyone else.

And, it's especially nice that those carry on limits are enforced, so that those folks with several times the limit aren't allowed to board ahead of time AND fill up all the overhead bins so that there's no room for my small carry-on and jacket.

I just wish the check-in clerks would move a little faster. The Valium should be distributed the minute you arrive at the airport. Once you've managed to "check in" is way to late.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 05:54 PM

Maybe Fodors can be next and enforce rules to make posters ever so nice to each other.
John, they just need to put the drugs in some chocolate and I would fly to Japan non-stop in Coach~
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
some posters should take their valium before they post.
Hi John!!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Hi Mimi, right you are!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:13 PM

Xanax is better than Valium ;-) IMO. I do not like personal space violations either. What is it with people getting in your space???? I tend to give frosty looks at psv (personal space violators).
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 10:16 AM

PSV??? Very good! You just invented a new acronym. (St. Cirq will be peeved, however.) Or how about, PSVP (personal space violating person)? What fun!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 10:30 AM

PSV......lol, I like that one.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Whilst I agree with the Valium suggestion, I disagree with the route of administration. It should be aerosolized and pumped in to the departures area, with the airline employees (notably captains and stewards) kept in a "clean room" with air perfumed perhaps with lavender, or caffeine. Think of the joy - no squalling infants to your front, no cell phone yakkers or self-important tik-tik-tiks on a keyboard to your rear, and everyone reclines thier seat at the same...lovely...time...
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:25 AM

I would love the bathroom scenters replaced with 'happy' medicine sprayers. I hate the scent sprayers (they give me a headache).

Could you just imagine:
Airport personnel: "You baggage isn't here, we don't know where it is or if you'll ever see it again."

Happy medicine receipant: "That's okay, I hope it had a good trip without me"

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:25 AM
norrisely

hmmm, suggest a course of valium for this group, chocolate would be a waste.
which airlines do you frequent, names please, so they can be avoided. The flying public is a lot nicer than these malcontents.

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Gee!! norrisely, nor, or L or whomever you are this week, speaking of malcontents!
You might need a double dose of that Valium spray with an extra box of chocolate!! Sounds like it will take a lot to calm your nerves.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:33 PM
norrisely

scarlet, normally reserve my replies for folks who travel a bit, but .... no, on second thought, lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -