Reload this Page >

Do the Canals smell in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Amanda

Have you ever travelled to Venice? Do the<BR> canals smell in Venice on the Gondola ride?

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Answer Guy

The canals in Venice can not smell because they lack olfactory systems.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Wise

Nice try

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:58 AM
xxx

Of course they do! It´s up to you to find out if you like it or not!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:02 AM
elaine

On my trips in autumn there have been no bad smells.<BR>Only delights.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:05 AM
cd

We were there in May. No smell.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:06 AM
ana

The city makes up for any smell (it seems to vary according to the person's nose).<BR><BR>Don't miss out on Venice. <BR><BR>Ana

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Dan

I'm not a troll. This is an honest questioned I've wondered about. With the high water, heat and old buildings of venice, do they have a cockroach problem? Specifically waterbugs.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:10 AM
ana

Never got to see the bugs, my eyes were always focused on the beauty of the buildings, sunsets, etc.<BR><BR>sorry<BR><BR>ana

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Marco

As you may know, Amanda, gondola men do 6 to 8 rides in high season and have no time to take a shower in between. In your shoes, I´d keep a safe distance to enjoy the pure scent of Venice´s canals.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 02:14 PM
peter

the main reason for the smell is during the summer there are an abnormaly large numbers of algae in the water. they die and the decompositiion of the dead algae give the characteristic smell. it is not due to fecal contamination as sosme have implied. the number of algae is sometimes so high that they have special boats to rake the excess from the surface of the water in the lagoon and dispose of them elsewhere

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 02:50 PM
sam

YES!!! As of 1997, when I was last there, the canals smelled like a sweet combination of feces, garbage, and simple chronic halitosis--with a bit of foot fungus on the side. Beautiful city, but I would recommend a nose clip.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Nicole

Although I've heard many people say the canals smell, in my own experience I never experienced bad smells in Venice during my 3 trips there. I have been there twice during the heat of the summer (July and August) and once in the Spring (April).

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Dayle

Two trips during march & May = no smells. However, the SOME of the canals on the lovely island of Burano (brightly painted houses) where the residents make their living fishing, did smell like fish. No big deal.