Best Castle to Visit in Ireland?

Nov 10th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Linda Barber

Best Castle to Visit in Ireland?

What is the best or most interesting castle to visit in Ireland?
Thanks!
Linda

Nov 12th, 2001, 12:37 AM
Mick

Hi Linda

There are a tons of excellent sites in Ireland!!! There are castles that are just out in the middle of farmer's fields, castles that are on little parks in housing estates, castles that are converted to crafts shops.....

One of my faves is Aughnanure, in Co. Galway. It's along the drive from Galway city out to Connemarra. The grounds are reasonably well maintained, and the main tower itself is intact with about four stories of displays, etc etc for you to walk around in. Aughnanure is one of the places maintained bty the Irish gov't--- check out this website for others: http://www.heritageireland.com/en/frontpage.html

Of course, you've also gotta see Blarney Castle (where you can kiss the stone) and Bunratty Castle (where you can get rat-arsed on free mead).

All the best!

Mick
www.dfaguide.com

Mar 26th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Wendy

Took me a while to find this posting so sorry for the old date...

That being said I think THE best castle in Ireland is Cahir Castle in Cahir. You get a tour with your entry price but can explore on your own and you'll want to do both. This one is especially good if you have kids who want to be able to "check it all out". Look for the canonballs embedded in the walls of the castle.
My second favorite castle is Trim. It is so massive! Best to do the tour so you can go inside - all the way to the top and overlook Trim town. Don't forget your camera!

Mar 26th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Gerry

The spookiest is Dunluce Castle along the Antrim Coast road in Northern Ireland. It's just ruins now, but it's my favorite.

Mar 27th, 2002, 07:57 AM
steve

Go to Blarney Castle - a nice ruin. I liked the one (forget its name) near Killarny. It is furnished with some period pieces (not many left) and the tour is nicely done

Search this Thread