Do people really enjoy Malaga?

Jul 18th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Do people really enjoy Malaga?

Just wondering and please correct me if I am wrong. Is Malaga an offshoot to Great Britain? Like are there many retirees with winter homes in that region with English pubs and the like? Someone give me a feel for the city and some reasons why I should travel there.
Jul 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM

I absolutely hated it. Stopped for lunch, took an hour or so to look around, and kept right on going and never looked back. Felt that way about the whole Costa del Sol pretty much. We'd planned to linger, but no way...
Jul 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM

hi, cbow,

hate to disagree with st. cirq, but we had the exactly opposite reaction. we flew in there one evening, stopped overnight, and then picked up our hire car in the morning, so my experience is not great, but what we saw we liked. the centre has a lot of restaurants and tapas bars, high quaility shops, and [then] a terrific market to wander around. there is also the picasso museum, but we arrived too late for that, and left too early.

of course the beach area may be english bars and pubs, but who says you have to go there?
Jul 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM

I have no idea about English pubs and such but we absolutely LOVED Malaga!! in fact, would love to go back there for our 20th anniversary but likely not in the cards. perhaps for the 25th then. so, I too had a different experience.

We stayed close to the city center at the NH Malaga (a fabulous hotel that josele recommended and we loved!! and that has a wonderful breakfast buffet, the best of our trip)and we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. The Picasso museum is fabulous and is housed in a cool building. The alcazaba is also worth visiting. you climb, climb, climb, but it's worth it as the views from up there are just great! and there is very cool architecture. absolutely a must! we didn't go all the way to the parador but I understand there are more excellent views from up there. it was a very hot day and just going up the lower portion was enough for us.

We had great meals there too tho I didn't write down any of the names. There were tons of outdoor cafes and we just took a look at the menus and decided where to go based on what we were in the mood for. and we were never disappointed.

One thing I truly enjoyed about Malaga was the LACK of tourists! I had planned our trip to Spain for May thinking there wouldn't be as many tourists. wrong!!! There were tourists, to be sure, but not the hordes we ran into just about everywhere else we travelled in Spain.

To me, everyone should visit Malaga. I can't wait to go back!!
Jul 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM

I do not know a single english pub in Malaga, nor a fish & chips or the like. These places you can find in Benalmadena or other coastal places but not Malaga. This is a spanish city, full of spaniards, with a lot of places to sight-see, go shopping, eating/drinking, beach and a nightlife. St. cirq, I really wonder where you've been, be so kind as to detail your stay. Those other fodorites who've been here a bit longer, please leave a comment.
Jul 18th, 2010, 01:35 PM

and I forgot to mention the market! the Atarazanas market was reopened just before we went and we stopped in to take a look. I didn't realize there was a cool window to see so we missed that, but we were entralled by all the fresh food available! I bought my daughter some cherries and took some pics of the food. fun!!
Jul 18th, 2010, 01:37 PM

there's josele! thanks again for your help with the NH Hotel, we absolutely loved it! and Malaga as well (as you can already see by my earlier comment).
Jul 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Málaga city itself is fabolous. Vibrant Andalusian atmosphere, excellent tapas bars, cafés, shopping and perhaps the most easy-going people in all of Andalucía. The city couldn't be further away from being "an offshot to Great Britain". Within three hundred metres in the center, you'll find the recently excavated Roman theater, the 8-11th century Moorish Alcazaba, the great 16th century Cathedral and both Picasso's birth-place and the new Picasso museum (2003).

Read the article "The authentic city of Málaga" to get a better idea:
http://www.andalucia.com/magazine/en...ed2/malaga.htm

or, "Málaga: Authentic charm of an overlooked treasure".
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ci...-treasure.html

Going back in September, and can't wait to have a chocolate con churros or a coffee at Casa Aranda, one of the best cafés I've visited in Spain, tapas at El Tapeo de Cervantes or in some of the great places in and around Calle Granada, some Málaga wine at Antigua Casa de Guardia or a late night drink and a bite at famous and high-spirited Bodega El Pimpi.
Jul 18th, 2010, 02:24 PM

We are headed around this area next summer, so I'm glad about the positive opinions.... Thanks.
Jul 18th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Hopefully, one day the global warming will leave the Costa Del Sol and all its dire resorts and golf courses as desert. Hopefully, the only oasis left will be Malaga.

Another vote for Malaga - the only bit of real Spain amongst a lot of tat.
Jul 18th, 2010, 02:32 PM

I'm with annhig. We toured Seville, Cordoba and Granada and spent two nights in Malaga at the end of the trip as that's where our journey home started from.

We thought it was a terrific city to explore and we found no English pubs close to the beach or anywhere else for that matter. In fact, the young lady at our hotel explained to us that the airport gets all the visitors and then they are bussed out to the resorts. Hardly any come to Malaga city. It was stylish, has a very pleasant old town, superb shops and much of it traffic free. We would go back. No doubt about it.

joe
Jul 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM

I think many people confuse the province of Malaga with the city of Malaga. In fact most people arrive in Malaga and head immediately out of the city to the coastal resort areas which are in most cases built up beach resorts filled to the brim with Northern Europeans (many British). The city of Malaga, like others have said, is very different from the coastal resort cities. It has charm, very friendly residents and wonderful food.
Jul 19th, 2010, 04:14 PM

I just spent three weeks in Malaga (studying with the Universidad) and I miss it dearly. The beaches out near El Palo, especially Playa El Dedo are completely tourist-free. There are plenty of great cafes (El Gaby, Estilo Campo Rest) where you get excellent seafood, especially the "sardines on a stick" cooked over wood fire. The Alcazaba is best reached from near the Roman theatre for a gentle climb, then exit via the elevator back down to Paseo del Parque. You can no longer climb from the Alcazaba to the Castillo Gibralfaro--you need to take the #35 bus. Yes--the views are amazing from both but greater city views from Castillo. There is a small cafe at the Castillo--but next time I might opt for a nice lunch at the Parador (short walk from Castillo).
El Pimpi is an excellent tapas stop after the Museo Picasso (it's right behind it)--be sure to go inside to see all the signed wine barrels. Yes--the museum is definitely worth it. We missed the Museo Natal (Picasso's birthplace).
During our tour of the Catedral--I remembered I had Gregorian chants on my IPOD which I listened to while sitting and enjoying the beauty. Be sure to go up the stairs at the back of the shop to see artifacts paintings.
Good shopping in the Centro, don't miss the Plaza Constitucion with the plaques of newspapers from Spain after Franco.
Go, enjoy, it is a wonderful city. Never saw an English pub.
Jul 19th, 2010, 05:08 PM

In Sep I will be driving from Ronda to Nerja, to stay at Parador Nerja. Had not planned on stopping in Malaga, but perhaps I should reconsider.

Assuming I arrive mid to late afternoon after that drive, are there suggestions for taking in a bit of Malaga before continuing to Nerja?
Jul 20th, 2010, 12:02 PM

The area outside of Malaga, the Costa del Sol is harshly overdeveloped and has huge populations of British, Irish and Germans with good reason as it has great weather. I am not a fan of the costa del Sol as a destination when I'm in Spain. I do however love the city of Malaga. It's a classic and classy Andalucian city with a lot of character and history. That goes for the Malaguenos as well, many of whom are quite good looking.
Jul 20th, 2010, 01:14 PM

so st. cirq - are you sure you went to Malaga at all???
Jul 20th, 2010, 01:16 PM

"That goes for the Malaguenos as well, many of whom are quite good looking."

Well, no wonder I enjoyed Malaga so much.....
Jul 21st, 2010, 10:43 AM

I think I understand OP's concern/question because that is how I used to think too, and if you try to put two and two together (with the number of british tourists and Costa del Sol), you will come to the wrong conclusion on this one! When we visited it, it actually reminded me of other great, eastern European capitals with old buildings, a jamboree bag of colors, aromas, and sounds. As annhig points out above, lots of tapas bars around city center and great shops (spanish!). There was NOTHING british about the city.

Anyway, don't be fooled by parts far away from the city, drive in and experience the place. You will like it.
Jul 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM

Hi, ComfyShoes. Ain't I good looking?
Jul 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM

Ha ha!! Your work definitely is. Hope all's well (I had to come out of "retirement" to defend the honor of your city!).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO