Do I want to go to Iceland Sept. 2021?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Just starting to research. A group is heading out on a trip. It looks interesting if a bit remote.

Old May 11th, 2021, 05:39 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends on your interests I guess. We thought we'd fall in love with it, but we didn't.

You won't know until you go.

My TR if you're interested:

https://www.fodors.com/community/roa...-trip-1453922/
Old May 11th, 2021, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your insight and trip report. I am reading it carefully. I’m more of a city girl so not quite sure if this is for me. My friends are going and I’m thinking of joining them.
Old May 11th, 2021, 06:45 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hope it helps.
Old May 12th, 2021, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We went in 2015 and absolutely loved it! We were supposed to go back last summer, but of course that was cancelled, so we are scheduled to return in August as well as February. Both trips are planned and everything purchased.

FWIW, our adult daughter has been twice so far, and is very excited to be going again. Same with our son, except he has only been once so far.
Old May 12th, 2021, 01:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had to cancel our trip there last June and will go in 2022. We love cities but now visiting a place filled with natural wonders has an even greater appeal.
Old May 12th, 2021, 03:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
We mostly had a great time but it's the sort of place that some like and others really don't.

anyway you may find my TR from 2008 helpful - or not.

https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/mum-s-been-to-iceland-or-round-iceland-with-a-cucumber-411393/
Old May 12th, 2021, 03:43 PM

TPAYT - not sure why the TR is loading at the top of the second page [I tried reposting it but it didn't do any good] but if you scroll up you'll soon find the start.
Old May 12th, 2021, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Melnq8....annhig...and TeddG (in Annhig’s trip report)

I’m about half way through your trip reports and loving all the details. Excellent
a, b, and f road comparison, haha! Now I’m second guessing my idea of going.
My friends are going on a scheduled tour so we wouldn’t have to deal with driving.

Our last adventure together was in Nov. 2019 to Paris and then a bus tour to the
French Riviera. Somehow Iceland seems like the exact opposite. The scenery in Iceland
is a big draw but the food situation is a bit off putting. Don’t mind the cost, but quality is
a big deal. A great dinner with wine is high on my list of travel experiences.
Oh boy, decisions, decisions.

Thanks for posting your trip reports. I will finish them tomorrow. I think they will be a big
help in my decision.
Old May 19th, 2021, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the links to the 2 trip reports. Good information there.

We are headed to Iceland for 9 days this summer. When opening was announced, summer Iceland nonstops were cheap: $500 RT on either Icelandair or Delta, and $1050 RT in Icelandair's Saga class (Delta's comparable "premium select" class was $2000). Summer basic economy flights even dipped to an incredible $315 RT in April. Dublin was also being offered for $1000 Saga Class, but in March I thought that was too risky (but now Ireland will be open by summer anyway). Reykjavik is only a 6 hour nonstop for me so similar length as flying to San Juan or Puerto Vallarta. New Zealand is a true flying ordeal, something like 22 hours all the way to the South Island, so that needs to be factored in to country comparisons. Although the Iceland rental car will cost double NZ and for 5 fewer days.

We were able to book a trip around the island with private toilets at all lodging averaging about $150 night and the highest price $200/night. Restaurant food and alcohol are not that important to us and looking forward to experimenting with cooking the local fish. We plan on bringing with us lemon juice, cajun spice, cilantro, and packets of honey and soy sauce, whatever needed to spice up grilled fish. Looking for mostly hiking destinations, and hoping there will be a lull in the crowds this year. Transited Keflavik 6 times now so at least will finally get to see what the rest of the country looks like.

Concerned about the occasional requirement for furtive public urination.

Last edited by tom_mn; May 19th, 2021 at 06:58 AM.
Old May 20th, 2021, 05:57 AM

Sounds like a great trip, Tom. I honestly don't remember seeing any fish for sale but perhaps I wasn't looking for it and it was 13 years ago. I hope you find food that you like!
Old May 20th, 2021, 06:22 AM

I spent 2 weeks in Iceland the next month after Melnq8 's visit in July .

Actually I wanted to go in July but the President of Iceland told me that Iceland was not big enough for Melnq8 and I at the same time !!

So I was forced to leave the next month in August.

I have read Melnq8's excellent report and I virtually followed her vehicle to the placers she went.

I did almost all of the Fjords on the East side of Iceland as we ziz-zagged our way from Egilssatir to Hofn..... I did all those Fjords and small towns.

Melnq8's pictures give you a nice idea of what it is like driving along the road in Iceland.

I had a private guide in many places as I did not want to drive.

Make sure you do see Dettifoss Falls

I will post a few pictures and make a few comments.

There are golf courses in Iceland ! This is the view from my patio at the hotel in Borgarnes . I walked on the green as no players were is sight yet.

When you come into Hofn , the golf course is right along the right hand side. Where else can you play golf and see volcanic mountains and have an ocean background !!

When you are passing by the town of Djupivogur on you way back to Reykjavik from Hofn via Vik , then what most people miss is that at the east end of the town is Merry Bay, which has a granite collection of 34 bird eggs ( of all the birds that nest in Iceland). The first egg is a Loon's egg.

Eyjafjallajokull Volcano on the Horizon with The Famous Farm House before the Eruption in the Valley.

This is the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull Volcano on April 14 2010. Remember when flights to Europe were canceled due to all that volcanic ash..... well this is where it came from.. Poor farm house !!! , Well here it is again.....

Here is that farmhouse today, all is fine and back to normal after much cleaning up and construction . !!!

When you are on your way to Reykjavik or from Reykjavik you will pass this very nice town of Selfoss right along Route # 1, well, Bobby Fischer World Chess Champion died in Reykjavik and buried in Selfoss. Here is his gravesite in the Church yard.

Last edited by Percy; May 20th, 2021 at 06:54 AM.
Old May 20th, 2021, 06:28 AM

Oh yes, if you do go to Iceland, then be aware of their politics.

I was unaware and wound up in jail

Here is my report about that episode !!!!!

https://www.fodors.com/community/fod...segow-1471087/

also if you visit the Penis Museum you can make a "donation "

Here is my brief report.

https://www.fodors.com/community/fod...eland-1472086/
Old May 20th, 2021, 09:41 AM

TPAYT - On the way home from Paris a few years ago, we took a 2-night stopover in Reykjavik. After spending the afternoon in the National Museum of Iceland (highly recommended), we walked in the rain back to our hotel and passed Le Bistro, a small restaurant about a block away. It looked pleasant and the price was not exorbitant like many others we had passed. But, we decided to try to find something Icelandic. Just as we left the hotel, a heavy rain began and we ran down to the Bistro where we had a very pleasant dinner. The next night we were so tired from the Golden Circle all-day tour that we had no energy left for wandering to find our Icelandic food, so it was back to the Bistro. So if you find the food offerings in Iceland lacking and very expensive, there is a little corner bistro to retreat to.
https://lebistro.is/en/
Old May 20th, 2021, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Percy....read through your trip report and all the responses from other Fodorites, very helpful. Still haven’t
decided now that more of Europe seems to be opening but it’s still on the list.

maineGG.....somehow you knew you’d get me with the French Bistro since I post about Paris often. If we go to Iceland it will definitely be on the top of our dining list.
Old May 20th, 2021, 12:34 PM

Seriously, I know there are probably some outstanding restaurants in Reykjavik, but the convenience and some French comfort food really hit the spot!
Old May 20th, 2021, 01:18 PM

MaineGG - I agree with you about the National Museum of Iceland - we spent a very pleasant wet morning and lunchtime there - good cafe. And I wish I'd had your recommendation for Le Bistro - though perhaps it didn't exist back in 2008!
Old May 20th, 2021, 02:58 PM

I agree about the National Museum ( across the Lake from the City Hall). Great Place.

The Le Bistro is along one of the major street and there are several good cheaper eating places around there ( like the Sandholt Bakery )

and also a place called Braud & Company which is about 2 blocks from the huge Cathedral.

Braud and Company has Cinnamon Buns to die for along with other pastry but it is the large Cinnamon Buns that everyone goes for.

My last evening in Reykjavik I ate in downtown Old Reykjavik at a place called Fish Company, excellent Seafood

Also for those that do not want to go to the highly price Blue Lagoon, my tour Guide gave me this tip !!

There are several Geothermal Pools in Reykjavik, you just have to know where they are.

I stayed at the Hilton and one was 3 blocks away called Laugardalslaug ............ you pay $5.00 and that is it. !!!

Some pictures:

This is the Le Bistro. I ate here.

A few blocks away along the same street is the Sandholt Bakery. Rated the best in Reykjavik for pastries and sandwiches

At the old Harbour you have to go to Saegreifinn (= Sea Baron) a great place for a Cheap meal and rated the best Lobster Soup on the World. !! They give you a big bowl of soup and some hot bread .

Further along in the old Harbour , everyone goes to Valdis for Ice Cream. It is in one segment of a long former warehouse. So if you go, don't be surprised when you turn the corner and see a warehouse and wonder there cannot be an ice cream place here. !

This is Braud & Company, the best Cinnamon Buns in Reykjavik. About 2 block from the huge Cathedral.

Braud and Company, just a sample !

The National Museum, yep they have lots of flowers in Iceland.,!

Thomas Gudmundson (Poet 1903-1983), on West Bank of Tjornin Lake by the City Hall. I have to tell you this !!!, a tourist came to Reykjavik in winter and this statue was covered with snow in the man's lap and on his head. The tourist called the police and said, " There is a man on a bench here frozen to death , he is not moving " !! True Story.

Laugardalslaug Geothermal Pool, where for $ 5.00 you get what you get at the Blue Lagoon.....but shhh don't tell anyone>
Old May 20th, 2021, 04:42 PM

Tom--I can't remember, are we going at the same time as you? Late august for us. We too have private baths in all of our lodging, most of the time they are individual cottages. We don't care about alcohol at all and only a couple restaurants, such as Fridheimer and then Ingolfsskali. We plan on trying to fish in a few areas. We cannot bring poles from home as they have to be disinfected in a particular way, so just easier to buy them there. Very much hoping to catch dinner at least a few nights.

Tpayt--Snaps Bistro is an excellent French restaurant right in Reykjavik.
Old May 20th, 2021, 05:26 PM

What about a trip to Iceland and then, just keep going on to Paris???? With luck, we will be there and we can share a drink.....or two....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -