Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need to pre-purchase train tickets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Rome, Florence, Bellagio, and Venice from March 26 - April 10. Do we need to pre-purchase train tickets from the U.S (via trenitalia website)? What would be pros and cons of purchasing tickets from here? With so much unknown, i.e. different tarriff categories (amica, standard, etc), seat reservation, do you reckon is it easier to purchase there? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:33 AM

For most folks it will be definitely easier to purchase once there - there have been zillions of folks who get very frustrated using the trenitalia.com site, where however you can secure the Amica type fares (20% discount i think) - but train fares in Italy are the cheapest in western Europe IME, being highly subsidized by the government that just buying once there won't break the bank. And if Amica fares remain available you can get them at stations up until a day before i believe.

But you certainly will not have any problem getting on trains as there are so so many of them. You can buy all your tickets at the Rome Airport train station (no long lines like at Termini) and ask about the Amica availability there. I found the automatic ticketing machines in stations to be idiot-proof (I could easily use them) rather than waiting in often long lines.

The only benefits of pre-purchase would be to nab a discounted fare that could be sold out when you get to Italy and the convenience of having tickets in hand

the cons is the very very frustrating trenitalia.com site - some report it appeared it took their credit card but nothing happened, etc.

But helpful Fodorites like Ira and others will happily walk you thru it if you post you are having troubles with Trenitalia.com
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've bought an Amica fare in Italy - you don't have to use the Trenitalia site provided you're not moving on immediately.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 08:47 AM
ira

Hi jg,

You can purchase all of your tickets at the FCO train station if you take the express shuttle into Rome TE.

If the agent at FCO is uncooperative, get them at Rome TE.

If you don't take the train in, get them at any travel agent showing the Trenitalia sign or at any train station.

The discounted Amica fares can be purchased the day before your trip, if there are any left.

The ES* and AV trains are "reservation only".

IC and IC+ trains require that you purchase seat reservations separately, if you want them.

R trains don't have reserved seats.

The trenitalia website has become so quirky that it is useful only for schedules and prices.

Have a nice visit.

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Remember that the Easter is April 12 this year. The trains seats get harder to get as it get closer to the Easter. My wife and I could not sit together on ES trains to and from Florence from Rome the week before Easter. Trains in both directions were fully booked.

The trenitalia.com website has been useless when it comes to actually buying a ticket. I have tried multiple credit cards from different banks using different Trenitalia accounts without success in 2008.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM

I think it's easier to just do it when you're there but IF the agent tells you a specific track - don't take his word! Alllllwaaaaays check the board
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. Looks like I can wait to purchase it there. Thanks for the tips on amica fare, i.e. I should prepurchase the day before and try to grab those. Grazie!
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 05:41 PM

OK I will have to take trains from Rome to Naples on 4/3 and back on 4/9.

Is that close enough to Easter that I should try to buy in advance, especially the return trip?
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM

I always wait to purchase in Italy. But once you're in Italy, if you know exactly the tickets/trains you want, go ahead an purchase the tickets as far ahead as possible--better chance of scoring any discounted fares.

4/3 may benefit from advance purchase, not because of Easter, but because it is a Friday when people might be heading away for the weekend. 4/9 is during the week when many tourists visit Italy, so a day or two advance purchase couldn't hurt.