Do I need an international license?

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:50 PM
jackie

Do I need an international license?

Hi, I will be traveling with my two daughters and we plan to rent a car in Italy and in Germany. Is it necessary to get an international license? I'd appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks! Jackie

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 01:00 PM
guy

I do not think it is needed...but have been told it is helpful in the event of an accident ...or in a country that does not speak English conveninetly...I got one when going to Ireland..although I have rented cars in many countries without one...and frankly...I can not see the absolute benefit from having one..Perhaps someone else may opine differently...!!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 01:00 PM
guy

I do not think it is needed...but have been told it is helpful in the event of an accident ...or in a country that does not speak English conveninetly...I got one when going to Ireland..although I have rented cars in many countries without one...and frankly...I can not see the absolute benefit from having one..Perhaps someone else may opine differently...!!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 01:05 PM
m

no.. twice in italy we rented cars without. i don't know about germany.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Lidija

I know that I've read this somewhere but of course don't remember the source that International Licenses are just your own license translated into several languages. And is not in any way any sort of official document. I personally wouldn't bother in Europe at all.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Art

Lidija, you are correct that you don't need it in Germany or Italy, that being said, if you have a problem in the boonies where no english is spoken, it can come in handy. Get one at your local Autoclub office for $12.00. If you are driving into Poland, Romania etc, you MUST have an intl drivers licence attached to your own. I just read this last night in preparation for my upcoming trip.
Regards
Art

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Gary

Jackie:
I have driven in England, France, Spain, Italy, Israel and Australia, sometimes with, sometimes without international license. It is not a requirement. However, what I have been told is if you are stopped, it is possible that you could be subject to large fines if the particular police cannot understand your license. It's probably not a bad thing to have, like insurance, if you're so inclined. You can get one cheaply and quickly at AAA.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 02:22 PM
peter

it is nit required in italy but if you are stopped in one of the famous road checks and the police cannot easily understand your license your may be detained or questioned to death for a while. the international license makes it eassier all the way around. its not expensive and easy to get so why not