Do I need a Venicecard?

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:53 PM
Adam

Do I need a Venicecard?

I thought I read in the newspaper that Venice was introducing something called a Venicecard. It would give access to museums, public transport, etc. but also it sounded like it would eventually be mandatory as a way to control the number of tourists in the city at any given time.

Does anyone know if this is available or required?

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:55 PM
Statia

Do a search for it on here. There is another thread with that very topic.

Apr 1st, 2002, 05:48 AM
elaine

Just in case that thread hasn't been indexed yet (which means it may be too recent to show up in a Search)
The Venice Card is voluntary.
From www.veniceword.com March 2002:
" Venice Card, a new style of tourism for the city. First, let's say it is not an obligatory card: it SHOULD save you money and time, avoiding queues for buses tickets and toilets tickets; but you can enter the city without it.
In fact it is a card (the tourist can book it in advance, at least 48 hours before) with which people can enter the museums (ONLY THE ONES MANAGED BY THE MUNICIPALITY), use the public toilets (SOME!) and the municipal means of transport ( water buses) without standing in queue. There are two kinds of Venice Card: Blue and Orange. The Blue Venice Card is for toilets and transport, the Orange one also for Museums. The cards have different periods of validity: 1 day, 3 days and 7 days. Booking: Call center from 8 am to 7.30 pm: +39.041.2714747 Here is the opinion of one visitor to Venice:
"My wife and I have visited Venice from 2 to 9 March. At our arrival we both purchased an orange Venicecard. However, that information turned out to be downright misleading: the information suggests free access to all museums and public toilets. Not until after we purchased the card did we find out that it is valid for a limited number of museums only, which may not necessarily be the ones you prefer to visit. Moreover, it is my impression that the personnel at the museums has not been informed adequately: we had trouble in getting access to the Murano Glass Museum. The next disappointment came when we learned that some of the public toilets do not accept the Venicecard. You will understand that I am a bit pissed off! The price difference between a one-week ACTV ticket and the blue Venicecard is 10 euro, equivalent to - as I learned - TWENTY (!) times access to ANY of the public toilets. The price difference between the orange and the blue card is 17 euro. Here - for senior people - the moneysaving starts after visiting three of the LISTED museums. All in all it is my impression that the Venicecard is designed to bring extra money to the municipality rather than to saving money to the visitors. My advice to future visitors to Venice will be to buy an ACTV-ticket (vaporetto pass) only."
Website is www.venicecard.it

There is a new mandatory fee apparently for daytrippers who come in on bus tours and may be extended to daytrippers who come in from cruise ships. Those daytrippers are apparently the visitors that some Venetians feel cost the city much more in wear and tear and crowding than they spend in the local economy.

Apr 1st, 2002, 07:58 PM
Barb

I just came home from Venice-we inquired at the ACTV booth about the Venicecard, but were told it required a reservation on the internet! I am very glad we didn't buy it, as we only used public toilets twice in 3 days, and at 50 Euro cents per time, it wouldn't have been worthwhile. WE did purchase the 3 day ACTV transport pass, which was valid on the vaporetto and on the bus from Piazzale Roma to the Venice Airport.

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:06 PM
Capo

Also, F.Y.I., here's an article from the Washington Post entitled "Venice hopes to regulate tourist trade."

(Note: URL split in two...paste back together.)

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/

web/vortex/display?slug=venice10&date=20020210&query=venice