Do American need a visa for italy?

Feb 8th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Do American need a visa for italy?

hi all,

We are hoping to take a trip to Italy in November and it just dawned on me that I don't know if we need a visa.

What is the best site to check for things like this?

Erinb
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:07 AM

You do not need a visa for most (if not all) European countries. You can either check the US State Dep't Website or a similar site from the country you are visiting.

Feb 8th, 2004, 05:08 AM

A definite no!
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:25 AM
ira

Assuming that you are a US citizen with a current passport, No.
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:57 AM

The best site to check is:

http://www.state.gov/

Halfway down on the left is a section titled "Travel and Living Abroad".
Feb 8th, 2004, 07:30 AM

I agree with jsmith that the State Dept website is the most up to date spot. If you're from the US anyway. But assuming you are, it's a little hard to navigate through that site to the visa requirements for Americans heading to other countries.

Try going to: http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html

Scroll down and choose your country. Look at the second section "Entry Requirements". Will give you all the visa detail for that country.
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:15 AM

I just visited the State Dept. website on Italy. I am glad a read it, but grateful that I waited until after I purchased airline tickets. Admittedly, I am quite neurotic, but there are many things I didn't consider (crime, car accidents, illness and injury). Is it me, or do the warnings seem exaggerated? Since I haven't been to Italy I wouldn't really know.
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Peggy,

I'd say in general that the folks writing those warnings are very very much on the cautious side. I almost hated to use that address as a point of reference, but have never found a place on that site solely for outgoing visa info. Certainly didn't post it wanting to cause alarm.

I'm sure all they say there is generally true, but only in the same sort of way that your nightly news reflects life in your own country. Imagine if there was a warnings page for travelers staying within the US? What would that one say? Carjackings, terrorist incidents, armed robberies... but we know that's not likely to be what travelers within the US are going to face on vacation, right? Possible but not probable. Some of those are far less likely in Europe though, realistically.

I wouldn't worry.

Feb 8th, 2004, 08:42 AM
ira

Hi peggy,

Those problems you mentioned are no more likely to happen to you in Italy than at home.
Feb 8th, 2004, 10:01 AM

The following is what the British citizens are told about traveling to the US:

Crime
You should use common sense and take basic precautions. Bear in mind the following:

If staying in a hotel, do not leave your door open at any time.
Avoid wearing expensive jewellery and walking in run down areas.
Do not sleep in your car on the roadside or in rest areas.
Avoid leaving luggage on display in cars.
Try to stick to main highways and use well-lit car parks.
If hit from behind while driving, indicate to the other driver to follow you to a public place and call for Police help

HEALTH

Medical treatment can be very expensive; there are no special arrangements for British visitors. The British Embassy and Consulates-General cannot assist with medical expenses.

Comprehensive travel and medical insurance is essential.

Although the incidence of West Nile virus has reduced, it remains a threat in some southern states during the winter. The virus is a mosquito-borne disease that comes from infected bird-life. The chances of infection are, however, very low. But you are advised to take precautions to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes, such as staying indoors at dawn and dusk; avoiding areas where there is standing water; wearing long-sleeved shirts and trousers; and using insect repellent. Further information can be found at website: http://www.cdc.gov/travel

Terrorism

Since the terrorist attacks on 11 September 2001, the US government has issued a number of warnings of potential further terrorist attacks in the US. On 21 December 2003, it raised the domestic threat level to High (Orange). This was subsequently reduced to Elevated (Yellow) on 09 January 2004. Nevertheless, the US Government continues to maintain heightened security, especially at airports. This may result in cancellations and delays to flights to and from the US. You should continue to expect and allow time for longer and more stringent security checks.

Given that terrorist attacks have taken place in public areas, there is a risk that foreign visitors could be caught up if there were other attacks in the future. You should therefore be particularly vigilant in high-profile public places. (See: Security & General Tips and Risk of Terrorism).

So, you see that the visitors to our country face the possible same problems that we do when visiting other countries. Possible is the magic word here, very slim chance of it actualy happening to you.
Feb 8th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Truly, as others have mentioned (& after all the site is named travel "warnings") think of it as what you would see on the front page of the paper or lead in to the evening news... events probably not going to effect you personally.

"Crime, car accidents, illness and injury" could happen to you at home, they probably just sound more intimidating when applied to a trip abroad.

Having said that... take normal good sense precautions of having your paperwork in order (extra copies of documents), several forms of money available to you (cash, ATM card, credit card, travelers checks), pack light (for ease in moving about and so as not to look like an easy target) and carry a secure pocketbook.

I have been to Italy and had only lovely experiences there, but haven't ever read a government website, so can't honestly answer the question about do they seem exaggerated?