Search

Dividing our time between York, Lake District and Wales

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:56 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dividing our time between York, Lake District and Wales

Hi everyone. Please help me decide how to divide our time among these 3 areas. We have already booked a hotel for our first night in Windsor. On the 2nd through 4th nights we will be in York. That will leave us 7 more nights in the UK, not counting the night before we fly home.

Are 3 nights in York enough? After that I was thinking of spending 3 nights in the Lake District and 3 nights in Wales, then leaving the remaining night for somewhere else, such as Salisbury or Brighton. Please tell me if my time could be allocated better. Thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Just a personal opinion. 3 nights in York is enough. I would spend one less day in the Lake District and one more in North Wales.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:00 PM

1 or 2 night is plenty for just York -- but there is soooooo much to see/do in North Yorkshire -- Castle Howard, Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal, Whitby, the North Yorkshire Moors and its steam railway, Thirsk (if you have any interest in James Herriot), Rievaulx Abbey to name just a few.

I'd personally stay 4 nights in/near York (the first day there will be short of sightseeing time since you are driving up from Windsor), 2 nights in the Lakes and the rest in North Wales.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Darn - hit post too soon . . .

You might find that some places in the Lakes will have a 3 night minimum during that week -- if so, I'd still stay 4 nights in Yorkshire and cut N Wales back by 1 night.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:51 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks for these replies. I must confess, I was slightly leaning toward the idea of trimming back on the Lakes because there is SO much to do in York and Wales. I will look into finding a place that will accept a 2 night stay in the Lakes. If I can't find that, maybe there will be some place just outside the Lake District where we can stay 2 nights and drive into the district?

Janis, I have noted your suggestions for Yorkshire on a sticky note and placed it safely inside my guidebook. Castle Howard was already part of the plan, but I'm anxious to look up info on those other places.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:27 PM

Agree with the others. York itself is not worth more than a full day or two. However, the surrounding area is fascinating. There really isn't much in the Lake District to see other than the scenery and IMHO can't compare to Wales. Your three nights in York followed by a day or two in the Lake District and then Wales would be great. Traveling after that to Salisbury would allow you a stop at Stonehenge (if you haven't been there before) and an easy return to to Heathrow.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:07 AM

I went to york in '02. Great town that is still partially walled (medieval)in. There's a ruined abbey. narrow streets & shops. If you're in to military history, visit the Yorkshire museum. like most GB towns, there's a church and town square with market. Also, check out the underground Yorvik (ancient Viking name for York) museum that deals with the origins of the town. But, York shuts down early. We went into a restaurant to have dinner and when we emerged, the streets were virtually deserted. It's a beautiful town. Go early and make it a day-trip (or overnight at most)as you can see much of the sights in a day. have fun!!!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:22 AM

York itself is very small and can be visited in a few hours. A few years ago, my 12 year old son and I took a evening ghost tour. While the stories focused on gruesome events (e.g. murders etc) it was enjoyable because it also included history and took us into some alleyways and other small streets that I wouldn't have visited on my own.

How much time you spend in the Lake District depends on what you want to do. You can do an overview of the Lake District in two days, but I think it is the prettiest area in England. There are several driving tours that can take you around the lakes, pleasant walks, wooden row boats to rent, cute towns, a few historical spots (Beatrix Potter museum was interesting). There is a good local playhouse in one of the towns-Windemere? Each lake has its own character. Personally, I'd spend 3 nights in York and 3 nights in Wales.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:04 AM

I'd like to join your thread if I may.

We will have a M-F, Oct. 31-Nov. 4 to spend in the area. Our "wish list" is York, Durham, Yorkshire and the Hadrian's Wall area.

In Yorkshire, our "wish list" is Fountains Abbey, Richmond Castle/Easby Abbey, Rievaulx Abbey/Mount Grace Church, Castle Howard, Whitby and Bolton Priory.

We are not decided upon a specific area of Hadrian's Wall. But I have read that Housesteads provides a good overview to the area. We would like to stop in Hexam as well.

We would like to see Barnard Castle between York and Durham if possible.

Could anyone offer opinions regarding what how you would plan your time and what general route you would use to achieve this itinerary. Would we be best to move from area to area or would a "home base" in the area be feasible?
I realize we won't be able to do it all. We will have a car and I have previously driven in the UK. We will either be in Manchester or somewhere in the Lake District on the morning of the 31st. We want to drop off the car on Nov. 4 and take the train to London. Where might be a good location for that?

Contrary to guide books, the English Heritage website indicates that many of these locations switch to winter hours that week meaning that they are closed T and W. Does anyone know if that is fact?

Thank you for your answers. P_M, I hope any answers I receive are helpful to you as well.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:16 AM

xxxx - yes, as the clocks go back on the last Saturday night in October, many National Trust and other properties, shut for the winter and English Heritage will switch to winter opening times.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:17 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks you're all teriffic!! xxxx, I am happy for you to join this thread.