Reload this Page >

distance between cities?

Search

distance between cities?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Laura

distance between cities?

Does anyone know how far it is on a high speed train from Rome to Florence? Florence to Venice? Venice to Milan? Do you think it's possible to leave Venice in the morning get to Milan and have time to explore (we're staying in Milan that night and then flying back to the US the next day)? I don't want to cut our nights in the other cities, but feel I shouldn't miss Milan and we only have one night planned there! Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Not a smart ass

Not to trivialize your question, but wouldn't the distance be the same on a slower speed train? Aren't you really asking how long it will take to get to each of these destinations?

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Laura

Exactly- TIME not distance - trying to talk to husband and type at the same time....obviously not working

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Rex

You can find all this schedule info on www.raileurope.com (just don't acually BUY your tickets there) or www.fs-on-line.com - - it's about 2 and 1/2 hrs Florence to Venice; a little under 2 hrs Rome to Florence. The train Venice-Milan is NOT high speed, but still under three hours - - and yes you can get a nice overview visit in Milan, departing Venice earlier the same day.<BR><BR>You'll get a few opinions here that 8 hours in Milan is 7 too many. I don't personally agree - - but 8 is NOT necessarily inadequate.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Leslie

Laura, so glad that you have taken the bull by the horns and handling this, as we all know that men get lost, are too stubborn to ask for directions and can't read a map or a timetable.<BR><BR>Todd, let Laura concentrate, stop distracting her so she can get you to these beautiful cities.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Wendy

I took the train from Milan to Venice and as another stated it was about 3 hours.<BR><BR>Also took the train from Venice to Rome and if I remember correct it was about the same. <BR><BR>I also only spent one night in Milan. I really enjoyed the Duamo but really we went to have dinner with a friend. Don't know if I'd do what your thinking otherwise.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Laura

Thanks for the helpful responses- you put my mind at ease that we won't have to adjust our itinerary at all! <BR>By the way, please let me know if you have any hotel suggestions for Florence- I've seen a lot of negative comments on this site about hotels there - for me, location is key- and am not looking for inexpensive necessarily. Thanks

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Rex

Maybe investigate Beacci Tornabuoni (see Fodors Rants'n'Raves, in particular). I'm pretty lukewarm on recommending the only place I've ever stayed in Florence, the Hotel Giada.<BR>