Search

Discover Card?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:39 AM
Betty

Discover Card?

Do the folks in France and England accept Discover Cards??

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:44 AM
elaine

in a nutshell, not too much<BR>Mostly Visa, AmEx, Mastercard, and sometimes Diners

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:45 AM
Andre

NO

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:52 AM
John G

No, they do not accept Discover Card in Europe or Asia.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:43 AM
janis

Discover chooses to be only usable in North America.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:54 AM
Betty

Well, guess I will leave the old discover at home! Thanks everyone!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:42 PM
Jane

Actually, Discover Card is supposed to be accepted in Great Britain - at least that is what I was told by Discover when I called. I took my card with me last month to London, but I never had a need for it - so I still don't know for sure if it really is accepted there.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:24 PM
janis

Jane - unless something has changed since December, that Discover Card customer service rep misinformed you. Discover has never been valid outside of North America. I sure wish it was, though. Don't know how they can remain competitive with he other cards. Perhaps they are changing effective this year. But if so it would take them years to catch up - even MC is not accepeted everywhere over there.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:30 PM
pam

Is American Express widely accepted in France? I sure hope so.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:25 PM
marnie

What is the best credit card to travel with in England and Switzerland?

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:35 PM
janis

marnie and pam: The most commonly accepted creditcards in Europe are in this order:<BR><BR>1) Visa<BR>2) MC<BR>3) Amex (distant 3rd)<BR>4) Diners (very distant 4th)<BR><BR>Many places accept only Visa and MC and a few only Visa.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:40 PM
Tony Hughes

Out of interest Janis or others, do Diners cards still exist? I vaguely remember my dad having one back in the 70's. There's still a few out of the way places that have the 'Diners' sticker on their front window.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:54 AM
marnie

Funny isn't it, that Amex is a distant third when all its ads would lead you to believe otherwise.<BR><BR>thanks for the info.................

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Norma

For Tony: Yes, Diners cards do still exist and as a matter of fact, I find it much more useful in Europe than I do in North America. It has a lot of perks which I find useful, such as access to VIP lounges in many, many airports. American Express cards are often refused in France, in my experience, Visa being the most universally welcomed.