Discount-London??

Apr 9th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Discount-London??

I have been looking to pre-book tickets to London's most popular attractions and am looking at Discount-London web site. I am wondering if anyone has used this site and if so, what was your experience? I need to make a decision within the month so any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
Apr 10th, 2004, 04:14 AM

I haven't used the company but just looked at the website. Quite frankly, it doesn't look worth the money. They charge 21 GBP for a tour of Westminster and the West End. An all day hop on/hop off ticket (which will take you much further) is only 15 GBP. And with a map and your own two feet you could easily do this route for very little money (entry into West. Abbey).

I also looked at the Tower of London/River Cruise package for 30 GBP. You can book these on your own for about 2/3 that amount. Is the value added of a bus ride to the cruise departure point really worth 10 GBP? Wouldn't be for me.

Finally, this company seems heavily invested in taking you to Madame Tussauds and a meal at Planet Hollywood. IMO, neither place is worth your time and cash.
Apr 10th, 2004, 04:29 AM

I have to agree with obxgirl -- this looks like an outfit that's out to take advantage of visitors who don't realize that lots of the attractions in London are free (almost all museums, etc.) and that using the tube to get around is very easy. Their page about thmselves admits they're travel agents, so it's a profit-making organization that has no interest in letting you learn about free places and truly economical alternatives like tube passes.

Take a look through past threads about London; you can do most of this by yourself, cheaper and with less worry about other people's schedules.

I was especially alarmed by their home-page promotion of the Elizabethan Banquet near the Tower of London; I have never seen a positive review of this event. You gotta wonder about an Elizabethan Banquet that features a disco.

Which of "London's most popular attractions" were you wanting to pre-book?
Apr 10th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback, I have just removed them from my "favorites".

Since we are going to London in early July (3-9)I am concerned about lines for The Tower of London, Westminster Abbey and others. I thought if I pre-booked (which I know I can do on each of their websites) that I could elimnate the lines.

I have even looked into the London Pass as we did that in Chicago with the Chicago Pass and it was slick, however I have determined that I can see the things we want to see for less money if I buy each one separate.

The things we want to see are: The Tower of London, The London Bridge, Britain at War, Westminister Abbey, Cabinet War Rooms The London Eye, The original bus tour, etc.

Should I wait until we arrive to purchase tickets at the Train Station?
What is your best recommendation?

I have read many of the threads, and it seems in many cases people buy in advance...Any advice would be appreciated.
Apr 10th, 2004, 11:39 AM

You might be interested in the 2 for 1 offers mentioned in this thread.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34482219

Investigating the Heritage pass might also be worthwhile. Here are 2 more threads to read.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34474868

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34441244

Have a great time in London.
Apr 10th, 2004, 11:47 AM

We just returned last week from a fantastic week in London. Weather was great!!! Low 60s, one day near 70. Never took our umbrellas out of the suitcase. A few 5 mins showers when we were inside. Flowers and trees in bloom.

Perhaps these thoughts will help you.... the first 2 days we did the Big Bus and loved it. We used it to ride the route and get our bearings then as transportation to get places. Be sure to ride upstairs for the best view. As you probably know the tickets are good for 24 hours. We took it at 1PM the first day then had the following morning to use it.

The best deal of all has been mentioned many times on this site. The 2fer coupons on the www.londontrainoffers.com site. We used them at Tower of London (a ticket is $25 if I remember correctly), at London Bridge (which we thought was definitely worthwhile) and at St Pauls. No one asked to see our train tickets.

The rest of the time we took the tube which was so easy and (being used to NYC) I might add very clean.

We stayed at the Thistle Trafalgar Square and liked the hotel very much. The rooms are normally 158GBP but we got them for 84 through londontown.com. We did book back in Nov. It was one of the very few hotels we have stayed at where you couldn't hear the shower or people from the adjoining room. Very good full breakfast w/the room and very helpful staff and concierge. Best of all the location, 3 blocks from Trafalgar, one block from Leicester Square and the tube station. Thanks to advice from Ben Haines, we took the Piccadilly Line back and forth to Heathrow. Very short walk to the hotel.

2 days we took all day tours through Golden Tours (Grayline). One to Bath, Salisbury, and Stonehenge. The other to Oxford, Waarwick and Stratford upon Avon. Very satisfied w/them. The advantage to a tour like that is that the guides explain everything while you're riding on the bus so you don't waste time when you get there standing around listening and you can go at your own pace. Each person is more interested in a different thing. Also you don't have to cue up in the long lines to buy tickets. Just walk right past the mobs!

Lastly, same as the last time we were there 35 years ago, we found the English people to be so helpful, friendly and delightful. A couple of times we were standing on the sidewalk looking at a map and someone stopped to ask if he could help.

Have fun! Wish I were you!