Reload this Page >

Directions to Scavi Tour

Search

Directions to Scavi Tour

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Barb

Directions to Scavi Tour

There have been conflicting directions regarding the Scavi tour. Which way do you go first. Facing the front of St. Peters, do you go to the right or left and is the entrance marked and easy to find. Do you have to be there earlier than your reservation time? Thanks, I'll be there next week - yahoo.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Angela

I posted this on another thread, but here's what we had to do just two weeks ago. Go to the right side of St. Peter's as you are facing the front (regardless of what the guards tell you). Go into a little office where you must check your belongings including your purse and camera (make sure you keep your money in a pocket to pay the entrance fee and your confirmation letter). After you have checked your things, walk across the front of the Basilica to the left side where we had to show the Swiss Guards our confirmation from the Scavi Office. They will let you pass through about 15 minutes before your scheduled time. There will be a little office off to the right where you will purchase your tickets and meet your guide.<BR>It is awesome--you will love it!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Barb

Thanks Angela. That really helps. It's so great not to have to fumble around trying to find things and waste precious time and get stressed.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Mark

Angela is right on the money. Check your belongings FIRST on the right, enter pass the Swiss guards on the left. I thought those guys were Jesters.<BR><BR>If you're single Barb, so are all those guards.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Barb

Mark - thanks for that tip, Mama Mia, now I'm excited!! BTW how do you know that.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Mark

All of the guards at the Vatican are from Switzerland because it is a neutral country. The guards are all single because if they were married they might be apt to reveal things they shouldn't to their spouses. Therefore, once they marry, they can no longer guard the Vatican.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Tish

Not that you should chance it, but I took the Scavi tour last Saturday, and there was a young woman in the group carrying a shoulder bag. No one said anything to her about it!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Betsy

When I did the Scavi tour in October 2001, I went directly to the little office at the left of St Peter's. There was no need to check bags. I carried a small backpack on the tour.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:06 PM
For

Directly from my reservation confirmation that I received today - <BR><BR>IMPORTANT INFORMATION<BR><BR> Please take into account the time needed to pass through security in St. Peter's Square.<BR><BR>1. Before coming to the Excavations Office you must check-in all personal belongings (purses, back-packs, cameras, bags, etc.) at BAGGAGE DEPOSIT, located at the right of the basilica, facing the fa&ccedil;ade of the same basilica. <BR><BR>Custodians are there to watch your belongings, and the service is free. The visit to the excavations ends near that place <BR><BR>Failing to check-in your belongings, you will forfeit your reservation to enter the excavations.<BR><BR>2. Entrance to the Excavations Office is to the left of St. Peter's Facade (through the Arco della Campane) or from Via Paolo VI (outside the left colonnade). Simply show this communication to the Swiss Guard.<BR><BR>3. One should be dressed in a way befitting entrance to a holy place.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Christine

We have a reservation to do the Scavi tour next week. Just wondering - - just how confining is the space we will be in?? I have a tiny touch of claustrophobia. It it very close?? hot?? cold??<BR> Can't wait to see Rome! Thanks.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Tish

I don't think you need to worry. Some spaces are small, but in my opinion, not uncomfortable. It was a little warmer than I was expecting, but again, not uncomfortable. The group size is kept to a minimum, so that helps.<BR><BR>At the beginning of the tour, the guide said that if at any point someone felt uncomfortable, it was no problem to leave the area. I don't think that will happen to you, but the comfort in knowing you're not "trapped" should ease your mind.<BR><BR>I hope you enjoy it. I've been to Rome many times, and consider the Scavi tour a highlight of all my experiences there!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Cannis

I know it's quite late to respond to your posting but I thot I should let the rest of the readers know that Scavi tour is DEFINITELY a must do in Vatican City. We managed to get on the 9am tour on 31 Oct and really enjoyed it. There were only 10 of us in the group. Many tried their luck at the gate but it's already fully booked 3 weeks in advance. So do your planning as early as possible and write to them for a reservation. FYI-we finished the tour by 10.15am which give us plenty of time to walk to the museum for sistin chapel and then back for St Peter's. Reason being the museum closes quite early and it's usually a long queue (fortunately it moved rather quickly). We managed to catch the free tour at 3pm at St Peter's (this tour is offered by the information desk at the left side of the vatican). Write your post card way ahead of time and buy the postage at the Vatican museum and mail it to your friends back home(near to the exit). Set aside one full day at Vatican City.