Vatican Scavi Tour - Logistics

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 9:45 Scavi Tour booked (very excited about this!!!)

1) Do we just go to the Scavi office there to the left of St. Peters? How early should we be?

2) At the end of the tour, do you end up in St. Peter's, or do you have to go and get back in line and go through security

3) I stopped at the Scavi office for a minute during my last trip to the Vatican, and don't remember having to go through formal security - how does security work?
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:40 PM

You have to go to the left of the basilica and present your reservations to the Swiss Guards there. They let you in exactly on time, from what I remember, so if you get to St Peters by 9:30, that should be fine. You then walk to the Ufficio Scavi office, hand over your reservations, and they give you tickets.

The tour ends in the Clementine Chapel, and you walk out into the crypts below.

I don't really remember any formal security on the day we went.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:20 AM

When I went, we had first to go round the right hand side of the square to go through security, then deposit everything (including my small handbag) in the cloakroom (down the right hand side of the basilica), then go over to the gate to the left of the basilica (as described by Sharon) & show our confirmation e-mail to be allowed through to the office. This was all in the e-mail, which recommended arriving early to allow enough time for all this. We went about 9am and didn't have to queue, though, so I'd say aim to arrive at the entrance to the square c.9.15.

Although I've heard of people since getting away with taking in small bags, people who arrived at the office with bags for our tour were sent off to put them in the cloakroom (and I'm not sure they all got back in time); so maybe it depends on the member of staff on the day.

We exited via the crypt containing the popes' tombs into the basilica.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:31 AM

Hi harrowgirl

We just did the Scavi tour a few weeks ago and the directions given by the other posters are correct.

No need to go any earlier thatn 15mins.

My husband had a small backpack with him and it was no problem. Some of the spaces underground are very tight so you can't take anything bulky.

We really don't remember any security check as such - just two attendants who check your email before you go through to the Swiss Guards who also check your email confirmation.

At the end of the tour you can just go right in to St Peter's.

Although they tell you the tour is 90 mins I believe ours was just about 1 hour.

Am sure you will enjoy it - it is very interesting.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Well, I don't know for everyone else, but the Swiss guard in front of the entrance would not let us pass to right at when our tour began. We walked to the Scavi office, and they thought that we were only 15 minutes early for the next tour. Yes, just talk to the Swiss guard about 10-15 minutes before the tour starts.

It is hot down there (even when I was there in late September) so be forewarned.

Yes, you end up right inside the Basilica when the tour is done.

The tour was amazing. Just think of the millions of people who pass through the Vatican each day, but you are one of the select few that actually gets to see the alter that was erected on the top of St. Peter and the glass (or plastic) box that holds some of his bones. People really have no clue of how close they actually are to the real grave. It was awesome!!

Have fun there and enjoy every second in the Necropolis.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:11 PM
BRR

So, at the end of the tour, you end up in St. Peter's? What is our next move if we want to see the Vatican Museums and the Sistene Chapel? Do we need to completely exit and get into another line? Should we book a tour that begins roughly 90 minutes or so from our Scavi tour? Thanks harrowgirl, I have the same questions as you!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Last month, we ended in exactly the place we started... outside the Scavi Office. Our tour was 90 minutes, but we could have stayed longer in the last area where several popes are buried. The tour length can also be impacted by the number of other tours underway at the same time. We had to doe-si-doe in the tight quarters a couple of times with a tour in German.

I wouldn't book Museum/Sistine Chapel tour with too tight a connection. The Museum entrance is on the opposite side of the Vatican.

After the Scavi tour, you can go into St. Peter's, but you'll have to join the line like everyone else. It runs from the right side door and down the right side colonnade. The Scavi Office is on the left side of St. Peter's.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM
BRR

Thanks Jean,
Do you think if we have a 10:30 Scavi Tour, we would be able to meet up with a 1:30 tour, with time to grab a quick bite in between? I'm thinking of booking with the Context Rome Arte Vatican tour.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
BRR, I'd say it was possible but very tight and would require everything going as planned, including that "quick bite" which isn't always easy to find.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 07:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The museum will be a 10-15 minute walk from St. Peter's. There's a cafeteria in the museum with decent food.