dining late in London?

Feb 8th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

dining late in London?

I work in theatre so i frequently don't eat dinner until fairly late--after the show, about 10:30 or 11..

is it possible to eat late in London? are restaurants around the theatre district open late? Do pubs typically serve food until closing time?
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Middle Eastern and Asian restaurants tend to stay open very late, and London's Chinatown is surrounded by the theater (oops, theatre in Britain) district.
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Ah, Miss Ziegfeld, you sound like me.
We rent a flat in Covent Garden and do theatre almost every night. We ALWAYS eat after the show. The possibilities are endless in the area. Soho, Chinatown, Covent Garden are all filled with late serving places. Few pubs, however, will still serve food at that hour.

Depending on where you stay however, be aware that the last underground trains are usually just after midnight. Another reason we love staying in Covent Garden -- no worries that way.
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:56 AM

There are quite a few late night and all-night restaurants in soho - especially in Old Compton St (which is the heart of the gay district of london, but most of these establishments are happily "mixed").

Feb 9th, 2004, 04:59 AM

All the suggestions so far are good. You will find lots of places open in those areas and near the theatres.

But when I'm going to be really late I often take the tube back to near my flat or hotel and eat at an Indian, Chinese or Tapa place (all of these usually serve til 11PM or midnight). Then I don't have to worry about running to catch the last tube or bus. There are Night buses that run all night long but they don't serve a lot of areas. If I eat closer to "home" I can just walk back to the flat even if it is 1AM.

So when you get to London ask the hotel front desk and check out the immediate neighborhood around your hotel - see if there are any late night or ethnic places. Just another option . . . .
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:12 AM

Also; I notice you say you work in the Theatre - if so you should ask your fellow workers about late night clubs that are aimed at the theatrical folk (and no this isn't a euphemism).

There are a fair few of these in London.
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:16 AM

david has reminded me of Joe Allen's in London, much like the New York counterpart, but actually a little bigger. It is on tiny Exeter Street, directly opposite the stage door to Lion King. It is often filled with West End performers and backstage people. They serve into the wee hours.
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

excellent suggestions! actually, it's funny you should mention Joe Allen, i hadn't even realized there WAS a Joe Allen's in London until a co-worker mentioned it--i'll definitely be stopping by there! someone else reccomended a place, I think it's called the Ivy? Not sure if they're connected to the restaurant in LA..

luckily i really, really like "ethnic" food, so i should do fine! (living in NYC, that's the number one thing to eat when you want a great inexpensive meal, as it seems to be in london, too..)

i'd love to stop in all the "theatre" spots. make me feel at home!!
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:22 PM

There's no connection between the Ivy in London and the Ivy in LA. The one in London is extremely popular. Book now if you can if you are going in the next 10 months. I only went once and didn't quite get the hype. It was OK food, nothing great, and was mainly a lot of people stretching their necks to see if they could spot a celebrity. Our service was very poor and I found it probably the most overpriced for what it was restaurant we've been to in London. Just my opinion of course, which obviously doesn't agree with the crowds.
Do you like mussels? Don't miss Belgo Centraal right in the heart of Covent Garden, near Neal's Yard. (Right next door to the Donmar Warehouse, where I hope you'll catch a play).

Oh, by the way, there's also an Orso, around the corner from Joe Allen's (they actually back up to each other, not unlike in New York).
Feb 9th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

wow, there's an Orso, too? i'm going to feel like i'm back at home!

i'm really looking forward to seeing a play at the Donmar--so much terrific work has come out of there. thanks for the tip at Belgo Central--love mussels, i will head over there.
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Miss Ziegfeld, when are you going to be in London?
We saw the world premier of Take Me Out two summers ago at the Donmar, and have seen two other plays there. Yes, an outstanding operation.
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

i'll be there from the 13th through the 22nd (though i'll be in Paris from the 16-18..). Take Me Out was wonderful; (saw it over here) and for a show with no big names attached (well, names that aren't big outside of the theatre community..)they had a healthy run, i think, though i was sad to see them close.
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:28 PM

I saw it in New York also. The play was much better developed by then. I remember all four of us scratching our heads when we came out of the London production because we never understood the guy's reason for "coming out". And we just thought he was angry at the other guy, but never really knew why, or why he was so upset that he got killed. That was all made so much clearer by the time it got to New York. And although it was mostly the same cast -- my, how they had grown in that 15 months between the two productions we saw. (grown as actors I mean, not literally -- hee hee).