Dining in Lucca

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 02:30 PM
steve

Dining in Lucca

The guide books I've looked at seem to be of limited scope on this particular topic. Could anyone guide me on a couple of nice/excellent restaurants in this charming walled city? Thanks very much for your responses.

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 07:22 PM
Barbara

Steve,

Lucca is my favorite small town in Italy and there are excellent places to eat. My husband and I happened to meet a restauranteur from Lucca who has a fine trattoria in Sonoma, CA. We were enjoying his tiny (11 tables) restaurant and started a conversation with him. When I found out he was origjinally from Lucca, I told him we were going to be there in a few months (1997). He wrote the names of three restaurants on the back of his business card and said, "These are my friends -- show them my card and you will have wonderful meals). We thoroughly enjoyed all three -- Buca di Sant'Antonio, in business since 1782, Da Giulio, a festive and very casual place, and Il Giglio, right next to the Universo Hotel in Piazza del Giglio where they have the best Gran Farro soup ever. Also treat yourself to coffee and pastry at Caffe de Simo along the Via Fillunga -- it is Puccini's old hangout, as elegant a coffee bar as you'll find anywhere. For the best restaurant advice for all of Italy, consult Italy for the Gourmet Traveler, by Fred Plotkin. It is knowledgeable, informative, and a very enjoyable book to read.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 06:27 AM
Denise

Hi, we had Easter dinner in Lucca at the restaurant Buca Saint'Antonio. I can't praise it enough. The food was excellent-gourmet quality and the staff was so helpful. Definitely go, but you might need a reservation. Lucca is beautiful. Climb the tower to get a breathtaking view of the city. If you have time visit Montecatini Terme, and take the funicular up to Montecatini Alto. (30 minutes east of Lucca by train). We stayed there and it was a refreshing and relaxing change from Florence. Beautiful parks and countryside. You really feel like you are in a spa. Have a great trip, I envy you.
Denise

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 01:53 PM
Marija

If you're willing to venture outside the walls of Lucca, consider La Mora and Solferino, both about a 15 minute drive from the center of Lucca. We had great meals at both.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 04:14 PM
Joanna

Found some great cafes in Piazza Amfiteatro and enjoyed a fabulous grilled seafood dinner at a restaurant called, I think, Puccini.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 03:51 AM
Jef Maes

Trattoria da Giulio
Via delle Conce
tel. 0583 55948
highly recommended