Dining in Lausanne

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dining in Lausanne

I have a client who is looking to dine in a very special restaurant in Lausanne. Wondering if anyone can provide recommendations. Upscale, wonderful food, great service and not filled with tourists seem to be the main requirements. Thanks for your recommendations.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:06 AM

Snyder,
'Romeo' is the place to go!

Pretty new and absolutely hip and, sorry, pretty expensive, too! I'd say at least CHF 100.- plus/person, depending on the menu, but above all, on the wine you choose.

Most wonderful (South) Italian food. The place is located on 28, Rue du Petit-Chene in the heart of Lausanne. A couple of minutes away from the train station.

I happened to have dinner a couple of weeks ago on a superb warm evening on its roof top restaurant with a splendid view over the lake.

No tourists at all, just locals. But that may change, I'd say, once the place becomes wellknown.

Not sure, I'd like to be seated inside though. Very modern, hip place, kind of a lounge.
Reservation a must!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:20 AM

Don't really konw the sort of restaurants you are looking for myself (upscale, ..)but the followings are ideas a friend of mine living near Lausanne gave me.

- Auberge de Raisin in Cully just outside Lausanne city. French, 2 macarons by Michelin, expensive, menus from CHF 150.00 or so but much easier to reserve than Restaurant Hotel de Ville (Philippe Rochat), 3 macarons in Crissier near Lausanne.
- Buffet de la Gare de Cully. Cuisine local and French. Situated in the same village of Cully. Don't be put off by the name "buffet of the railway station". My friend who ate there a few times said he was impressed by the quality of the food for the price which was less than half of Auberge de Raisin and the decor was also of an upscale restaurant.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:46 AM

Hi Snyder,

Though not in Lausanne, the best restaurant in the area is, I *think,* the Restaurant Le Pont de Brent, in Brent outside Montreux. It has three Michelin stars and 19/20 Gault-Millau points. Menus from 135 - 195 chf (I'm copying this from the entry at www.montreux.ch, "restaurants," then "gastronomic").

Sorry, haven't been there (yet).

s
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:06 PM

OK, Hike and s, that'a a whole different category you're hitting here!
Anyway, I've been to all the three you mention and all were outstanding, exceptional experiences.
However, all are also touristy at least very wellknown amoung fine food lovers!
Reservations, especially for dinner, weeks ahead, are a must with all of them.

I don't know about Philippe Rochat's place. His wife died this winter (if I recall that correctly) in a skiing accident. They went off the marked track.
Since then, I haven't read a lot about Crissier.
Anyway, Le Pont de Brent (quite a drive from Lausanne though) is famous for its duck. I am sure, you'd like that place, s!
In Lausanne itself, I'd go for the Beau-Rivage Palace in Ouchy, if your client wants a high-range place as the ones mentioned before.
The Romeo I mentioned before, however, is wonderful too, especially its roof top.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

A big thank you to all for these recommendations! I sincerely appreciate the help!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:06 PM

Ursula, you are correct about the ski accident. Wasn't she a marathon runner?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:11 PM

Ingo, halloo
Absolutely. She was indeed a marathon runner, but died in the snow.
I'll try to find some more info (tomorrow).
I think, it was this past winter though and she was together with some instructors and friends when an avalanche caught her.

Anyway, I need a shower now.
Ugh... it's unbearable and not a single drop of rain...
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:15 PM

Ingo,
Check this site. It was in March 2002.
http://www.20min.ch/news/schweiz/story/938116
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:40 PM

Ate at Rochat's in 2001 - it was one of the best meals of my life (at least as good as when Freddy Girardet was at the helm). The service was quite simply superb, very professional but not stuffy at all.

Went to Pont de Brent and Cafe du Raisin many years ago and wasn't overly impressed by either of them (yes, I'm a spoiled brat ).

Ursula, thanks for the Romeo recommendation - will have to check that one out. Have been unsuccessful finding a nice upscale restaurant right in Lausanne. A great casual italian place there is Da Carlo.

BTW, I'm not a big fan of the food at the Beau-Rivage Palace in Ouchy (unless the chef has changed quite recently), but the setting is indeed opulent.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:47 PM

Hi Snyder, sorry this is off topic.

It was Franziska Rochat Moser. Many people got to know her name (including me) when she won 1997 New York City Marathon. She might still have been Franziska Moser without Rocha.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:53 PM

Hi Andre, I meant Auberge de Raisin Cully. Where is Cafe de Raisin you mentioned located ? I wonder because I once saw a "Cafe de Rasin"in St.Saphorin so I suppose there are at least a few with similar names.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:05 PM

Hi Hike,

My bad - I also meant the AUBERGE du Raisin in Cully. Time for bed...

Andre