Reload this Page >

Dining at Jules Verne in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Anne

I am trying to decide on whether to dine at Jules Verne for lunch or dinner. I would like to dine when the view is the most beautiful. Also, what is the difference in price between lunch and dinner? <BR><BR>I also have 2 general questions regarding dining in France:<BR><BR>1) My husband and I do not drink wine at every meal. Will this be a problem while dining in France? I know that even in the states, many waitstaff become annoyed when our drink order is only water.<BR><BR>2) At what time do the French generally eat dinner? I would like to make reservations as soon as possible, but I am not familiar with French dining customs. I know that while visiting Spain, we often dined at 10:00 PM since dining late is the custom there.<BR><BR>Thanks to all who can help!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Eye Spy

You don't have to order wine for dinner in France if you don't want to. Order mineral water instead. If you like bubbles, try Badoit. If you want flat water, ask for Volvic or Vittel.<BR><BR>The French don't eat dinner until at least 7pm. Some restaurants don't even open until then although you'll always find restaurants open. If you want to be in a typical Parisian atmosphere, make reservations for 8 or so. You won't have your entree until at least 9pm because the French are unhurried at meals.<BR><BR>I think evening would be great in order to see all the lights. During the day you can always go up the Eiffel Tower or Notre-Dame or Tour Maine-Montparnasse or even go to Sacre-Coeur or the Arc de Triomphe.<BR><BR>Just a thought. All in all, if you don't want wine, it's not considered rude to decline.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:05 AM
elaine

There was a thread on this yesterday, but lunch at the JV has been reported to be anywhere from 50-100 euro pp without wine--price estimates varied.<BR><BR>Dinner will be at least 200 euro pp, could be well upwards of that depending on wine and other extras.<BR><BR>The JV is very much used to American tourists and in fact visitors are the majority of its clientele. Most restaurants in Paris open for dinner at 7 or 7:30, but most Parisians dine out not much earlier than 8:30.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Eye Spy

I agree with you, Elaine. It does cater very much to American tourists but I didn't want to be the one to mention that. Personally, it's not worth it to me to eat there but if Anne wants to, I'm sure she'll have a great time. For a less expensive, non-meal option, you could have a cocktail at the top of the Hotel Porte-Maillot; it has a great view too and you can dine elsewhere.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Anne

Eye Spy and Elaine, thank you for your comments. I know that dining atJules Verne will be touristy but it seems like it might be worth it to do just once. I thought that it might be nice to do our first or second night in Paris to set the tone for our stay.<BR><BR>Other restaurants I am considering are La Tour D'Argent, Le Grand Vefour, and Taillevent. If you can advise me rgarding these restaurants, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, please mention your feelings regarding lunch vs. dinner at these restaurants. Your help will be most welcome and appreciated.<BR><BR>I know that these are very expensive and possibly touristy restaurants so, if you have other suggestions for good food, service, and wonderful romantic ambiance, please feel free to share them.<BR><BR>Again, thank you for your input.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Eye Spy

Anne, I love Tour d'Argent but would definitely go there for dinner. That is an experience in itself.<BR><BR>I also very much like Le Grand Vefour in the Palais Royal arcade by rue du Beaujolais. It is wonderful. Lunch or dinner but here again dinner would be a fantastic experience. Just the restaurant itself is gorgeous. Very French and inpeccable service.<BR><BR>Have you thought of Laserre by the Grand Palais?<BR><BR>I wouldn't know which to decide on personally but I think any of these are great choices.<BR><BR>For tea, go to Le Train Bleu at the Gare de Lyon (a scene from La Femme Nikita by Luc Besson was shot there). It's very opulent and you can relax and enjoy the atmosphere and even watch the trains from the large glass windows.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Gretchen

You may continue the JV bashing as &quot;mostly tourists&quot; but I think you will find as many or more French folk there. The difference in the price between lunch and dinner is about double. We had a memorable lunch there and loved the daytime view. It was about $140 including a kir and a bottle of wine. On our trip last month we also noticed that several restaurants where we arrived at 8 were already full--with French speakers. I wonder if things are subtly changing.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Grasshopper

Anne<BR><BR>I went to the Jules Verne for lunch last December. It was a great experience. For the record, it was full of French patrons. I think that people from all over France are tourists in Paris as well as Americans. I had two glasses of wine, my daughter had water. It was about $150 and we had a GREAT meal. The food just kept coming until we thought we would pop. And the view was fabulous.<BR><BR>I've never particularly felt that anyone was annoyed in the US when I just ordered water, which I do a lot.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 10:09 AM
elaine

yes, I agree, as I mentioned the JV is used to Americans, but visitors from everywhere (including France) are the majority of their patrons, including Parisians entertaining out-of-town guests I suppose.<BR><BR>Much the same ( in terms of out-of-towners)as Tavern on the Green here in NYC, but the JV has much much better food, service, and view.<BR><BR>I also agree with Eye Spy's suggestions, including the magnificent looking Le Grand Vefour and Lassere. Haven't been to Lassere in a number of years, but it was heavenly. LGF was perfect, more recently.<BR><BR>Lunch vs dinner is hard to compare, they're just different. A formal lunch in one of these places pretty much kills the afternoon, by the time you get changed, go there, wine and dine, etc, it will be 3 or 3:30 pm at least, you will be full and dressed up and if like me, not much in the mood for sightseeing that day. On the other hand, when and where else but on vacation in Paris would you be willing to spend the whole afternoon having lunch?<BR>Daytime view from the JV, but it's an aerial view of rooftops, not so much my cup of tea. Daytime view from the Tour d'Argent is a beautiful,fairly close sight of the side and rear of Notre Dame, with those famous flying buttresses.<BR><BR>Dinners in any of these seem slightly more formal because people that much more dressed up, lights are low, and the views when you have them are all beautiful bright lights with a dark background. But the prices are 2-3 times that of lunch.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Anne

Thank you again for your wonderfully detailed replies. I think I will stick with going to Jules Verne for dinner just to experience it one time. <BR><BR>Now, I just have to decide between La Tour D'Argent and Le Grand Vefour, and whether we should go for lunch or dinner. I can only afford to visit one of these restaurants after also dining at JV.<BR><BR>The daytime view of Tour D'Argent looks wonderful, but the dining room of Grand Vefour has a wonderful ambience, as well. It is very difficult to choose. And I would definitely go to either one for lunch, as opposed to dinner, except that the point is well taken that I will be spending almost a whole afternoon in the restaurant. I love to dine at very special establishments but I am not sure if I am willing to give up a whole afternoon to do so. Is it worth it to give up the afternoon to save the money?<BR><BR>I just have one last question, if I may. I will be going to a ballet performance at Palais Garnier. The performance begins at 7:30. Can you recommend a restaurant to dine at before the ballet? This does not have to be a particularly expensive or elaborate meal. I'm looking for a restaurant with good food, service and ambience and/or Parisian charm.<BR><BR>Again, I can't thank you enough for your help!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Eye Spy

Many good restaurants around Palais Garnier. For a real Alsacian experience, I like to eat at the Taverne Kronenbourg on Avenue de l'Opera, five minutes from Palais Garnier for its very authentic Alsacian Choucroute (Sauerkraut) and sausages all the while in Parisian ambiance and great views of the passersby.<BR><BR>Have dinner at Grand Vefour. Why spend half the afternoon at table when you could be out and about strolling and visiting places and shopping?

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Wendy

topping for Steve

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 12:11 PM
mjs

I just have a few thoughts. Jules Verne for lunch was quite nice last November. View is nice for lunch but the night time view is in my opinion better. Cost however comes into play as lunch with the fixed price menu for two adults and a child, including a extra cheese serving, bottle of relatively inepensive wine and coffee was $280. It would be about 15% more this year due to the dollar devaluation. Ala carte lunch would increase this about 30% and I would imagine dinner would probably double it or more. Interior is battle ship like and the food consistent with it's one star rating.<BR>I have not eaten at the Tour Argent for 15 years but it was a wonderful experience than, especially if you like duck. The lunch time view here I think is probably better than the night time. They do have a good fixed price menu if I recall the Michelin.<BR>A few weeks ago lunch at Le Cinq, George V hotel was quite excellent and cost was about $300 for three including a white burgundy, Tokay dessert wine and coffee for three.<BR>Lunch last year at the Lucas Carton was about $200 for two fixd price. It was absolutely superb. Dinner menus had entrees in the $100+ range.<BR>I should further note that I have found really excellent wine at these starred restaurants for about $50. Much better wines I should add than most $50 wines in the USA. Water however I believe would be just fine.<BR>We prefer lunch instead of dinner as it tends to break up a long day. We tour around 0800 to 1200, lunch 1230 to 1500, than go out touring again. The Jules Verne for lunch worked out nicely as a good rest between morning and afternoon jaunts. Besides, you go up free on a private elevator and miss the crowds to get up the Eiffel. <BR>