Reload this Page >

Dingle Peninsula - Inch Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:49 AM
Henry

Just back from Inch Beach on the Dingle Peninsula in Ireland. If anyone has questions, please ask.

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:57 AM
Judy

Hi Henry, what is "inch" beach? We are going in August and I love the beach. Thanks, Judy

Old May 8th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Henry

Judy - Inch Beach is a very long and wide beach about a third of the way out on the South side of the Dingle Peninsula. It makes for a good stopping point and a nice walking location if driving further out towards Dingle town and the other sights near the end of the peninsula.

Old May 10th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Linda

Judy, I just thought I would mention that the beaches might not be exactly what you would expect. If you are familiar with the Jersey Shore or such the beaches on Dingle Peninsula are a bit different. We stopped at Ventry and had a picnic lunch on the beach...like Inch it is a broad expanse of sand that faces onto Dingle Bay. The water is cold and we mostly saw youngsters playing in the water. Further toward Slea Head there is another beach that you go down to that is more like a cove cut out of the hillside. Again, pleasant for walking about along the shore, but not any surf like on our east coast beaches. It is a terrific area and the scenery is terrific. Enjoy your trip.

Old May 10th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Aislin

I understand the berries on Dingle Peninsula are delicious.

Old May 10th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Judy

Linda, I love any and all beaches,,, I am a true water baby. I can sit for hours just gazing at the water....It is so soothing ... <BR> Henry: Inch beach sounds like an area that I would like. Thanks for info. <BR>Judy <BR>ps. Aislin.... cute &lt;g&gt;

Old May 17th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Jude Keys

Just got back from Ireland & spent a couple of days in Dingle - - if you're looking for a really lovely B&B overlooking Dingle Bay, with a warm & charming hostess, I strongly recommend CILL BHREAC, Mrs. Angela McCarthy, prop. She can be emailed for reservations at: [email protected] Tell her Jude Keys sent ya. <BR> <BR>Re DINGLE BERRIES One of our group (Chris Schnepf) composed a song in honor of our search for the elusive Dingleberry - to be sung to the tune of "Phil the Fluther's Ball": <BR>We're descendin' into Dingle <BR>And we're lookin' for the berries <BR>We've found rain and thorny hedgerows <BR>Cows and sheep and trees of cherry <BR>We've inquired at pubs and tearooms <BR>Even searched the foggy shore <BR>If there ever was a berry here <BR>It can be found no more! <BR> <BR>Oh, ring-a-ling the Dingle <BR>For a dingeberry treat <BR>Oh we love to heap the dingleberries <BR>On our shredded wheat <BR>Oh we bake 'em in our biscuits <BR>And we heap them in our pie <BR>But not a single berry <BR>Here in Dingle did we spy! <BR> <BR>On a more serious note, Dingle is a lovely town; check out the Craft Village for great pottery, woven goods, etc. And as you are driving the Dingle Peninsula, stop for a while in Ballyferriter and check out the pottery shop and have a luscious lunch or dinner at Tigh An Tobair (The House of the Well)- - yep, it really has a well right in the middle of the dining room! And really awsome food. Also check out the hand-thrown pottery dishware and (I'm NOT kidding) the hand thrown potter sinks in the rest rooms. These folks take their pottery VERY seriously. Also check out the beautiful church and its lovely stained glass windows as long as you're in Ballyferriter - it's just across the street from the potter & restaurant. Have fun - Dingle is beautiful.