Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dingle Peninsula 2 days? Or 1 day each in Dingle and ROK ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be spending some time in Western Ireland. Wanted to know with two days planned in the Dingle/ROK area if we should do ROK 1 day and Dingle Penisula 1 Day?,...or "both days" in Dingle Peninsula?
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 03:10 AM

That depends on whether you want to see things or experience things. You can see both in two days; you need two days to experience either.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 04:41 AM
tod

Having only done the ROK I look forward to Dingle next time in Ireland. It took us an entire day but I would think Dingle is much shorter in distance and could be covered in half a day.
Here are my photos of ROK:http://tinyurl.com/ldf34j
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Dingle may be smaller but, to me, offered more to look at, and I cycled ROK, which I would highly recommend. The quaintness and coziness is definitely it's strength, though. I would do both for the experience, unless you can catch the ferry out to the Blasket Islands, which I was thwarted from doing due to high winds, ugh. Enjoy and the only rule that I follow these days is not to pack too much into each day. Happily, I will be returning next month and am looking forward to seeing the west coast again.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will do both.
Any advice on approximately what time I should begin ROK (from Killarney) and how long I should give my self for the day? I prefer early starts and don't mind long days.
Also,..will be there mid-September,..hopefully longer hours in the days before sun sets.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Any advice on which places of ROK to see in particular-must see?
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM

I would recommend two days in Dingle. Not only will you have more time for exploring, you'll have two evenings to sit in on traditional music sessions at one or more pubs.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 10:22 AM

Dingle is magical !
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 10:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I would think Dingle is much shorter in distance and could be covered in half a day.</i>"

Oh - so wrong IMO.

Both are wonderful (beyond wonderful) -- but of the two I MUCH prefer Dingle and to me it requires a very full day, and TimS' suggestion for 2 days is even better.

If time is limited - I'd do Dingle and not try to rush through both.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 07:37 AM

We stayed at a B&B in Killarney and took a day long trip on Dingle which was great. You need time to explore the bee hive structures and Slea Head and town of Dingle for a snack. You'll be tired but of course want to be at O'Donaghues for lively Irish music.

Ozarksbill [email protected]
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM

janisj is right. We did just what you are thinking about- 1 day each. It was a mistake. I thought Dingle was much better, personally. If you only have 2 days, choose one or the other.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 08:42 AM

We have stayed twice in Killorglin which is a bit closer to both Dingle and the Ring of Kerry than Killarney. I found both drives (to ROK and Dingle) from Killorglin to be long days though i can see the attraction of visiting both if you are not going back soon. But like the others I would pick Dingle ahead of the ROK.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Things I liked in the Ring of Kerry (in no particular order):
Valentia Island, Killarney National Park (includes Muckross House, Torc Waterfall, Ladies' View, Gap of Dunloe), Moll's Gap, Staigue Fort, St. Finian's Bay

Things I liked in Dingle (again, no particular order): Slea Head, beehive huts, Blasket Island, Gallerus Oratory, Dingle Town (great Chinese food at Tir na Ri), Conor's Pass (a must!).

We spent a long day on each, but we spent another day around Killarney National Park. Good thing, too - we were stuck behind hundreds of bicyclers through most of the ROK trip! One or two are fine, but when they take over the whole road - it was some huge charity run, and very nerve-wracking to drive.