Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dilemma : Nice one to have...3 nights Florence or 3 nights Torino?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am in the very fortunate position to be planning our 7th trip to Italy.

I had already booked our flights in out of Rome - Oct. 2 -15 when friends of ours just realized that they will be in Italy at the same time and we are now trying to coordinate an itinerary.
My good friend is a wine importer and has some obligations in Piemonte.
When originally booking this trip, I had not planned on being as far north as Torino, but now an trying to plan a trip where we can spend a good amount of time together.

As of now, we are flying into Rome Oct. 3, arriving 10:00 AM and am planning to train to FLorence on the same day.(Have done this in the past)

Would like to spend the first, possibly 2nd and 3rd night in FLorence.
We are meeting our friends in Torino on Saturday, Oct. 6, leaving the 8th for 3 nights in Rapallo. (driving). Can't decide 3 nights in FLorence (have been to Florence almost every trip to Italy) , or leave on Friday, spending 3 nights in Torino. Our friends will join us on Saturday in Torino and our current plan is to leave on Monday, after a lunch at her vineyard, drive to Rapallo for 3 nights, drive to Modena for lunch at Osteria Gisuti, drive to Bologna , where we will spend 2 nights, and train to rome , 2 nights.

I absolutely LOVE Florence, but have never been to Torino. Biggest decision ( I know, tough decsiond )is Florence for 3 nights or Torino for 3 nights?
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM

I would not want to miss that lunch at her vineyard. Enjoy Torino--it is a new experience you will not regret.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm totally confused after you train from Rome to Florence.

Have you been to the Reggio Emilia? If yes, I would make this a new-places trip and spend more time in Torino and a few nights in the Piemonte (esp. in the area of Alba and Asti) before heading to Rapallo. If Modena and Bologna are non-negotiable and the dates in Rapallo cannot be changed, then I would make the tough choice to give Torino one of your Florence nights. And I love Florence more than anyone in Fodorville!
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 04:57 PM

It wouldn't be a dilemma for me. After 7 trips to Italy, I would return to Florence for as much time as possible. We have been to Florence 7 times and to Torino twice, once for 2 days and once for a day. Florence is my favorite city in Italy and, except for Paris, my favorite in Europe. After what I believe are 28 days in Florence, I still have so much I want to see.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 12:28 AM

I also don't understand your post as you have laid it out. However, I'm not sure why you are driving everywhere once you leave Piemonte unless you really like to drive. Trains go everywhere you are going.

It really doesn't matter what "our" favorite cities are, nor you should you let that influence you. (This isn't an election!!) Torino and Firenze are radically cities with radically different architecture, histories and intellectual outlook. (Torino also has radically different chocolate.) Torino is like going to another country compared with Florence.

You might consider dropping Rapallo at that time of year, and then you wouldn't have to choose.

Has your friend spent considerable time in both Florence and Torino? She knows you (and we don't) so she might be able to help you out best with a recommendation.

By the way, the restaurant in Modena is Hosteria Giunti.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM

I returned to Florence last Oct. for 5th time and Turino for first. I vote for Turino because you haven't been there before and it is an interesting and lovely city. The arcades and architecture remind me of Paris. While no city compares to Paris, Turin has its own charm. As importantly, it will be he beginning of truffle season!
I love Florence but can say with confidence that you will enjoy Turino and find much to do. They have a very fine Eqyptian Museum and an interesting film museum. I recently referred a frIend, who spent three days there and said that she will return.
Enjoy your trip, wherever you decide to visit!
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 06:09 PM

Since you have been so many times Florence, I would vote for Torino. Otherwise you won't be seeing much of this city since you would be going for lunch at your friend's vineyard. 2 nights is only one full day. Plus, in my opinion, you already have enough stops during this holiday .

There is the automobile museum in Turin, if you are a lover of vehicles, and Juventus club, a famous football team in Italy - maybe you can go for a visit to their stadium, or might be even be lucky enough to watch a match if you like football, besides visiting city centre. You might even tour the lovely surrounding countryside of this region maybe with your friend, if you have time to spare - even to the mountains of the Alps, just an hour's drive away there is a ski resort - really breathtaking scenary..