Dijon Gives a Hoot!

Search

Dijon Gives a Hoot!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dijon Gives a Hoot!

The latest copy of Travelweekly highlights various aspects of Dijon (the article is actually more about Besancon and how it's a terribly undiscovered gem by Americans). Mais retourn a Dijon, la ville du moutard (sp? Coco?)
It says that the ancient capital of Burgundy is known for its mustard, regional wines, architecture and OWLS!
The Owl Trail winds thru Dijon's medieval core and you follow bronze owl placques set into sidewalks...on the trail is
...Notre Dame Church,(I wonder if Dijon has a Hooters on the Owl Trail!) is known for housing the world's oldest known wooden carving of the Madonna...tradition here now has folks stopping outside the church to rub a small stone owl statue set into a crevice on an exterior wall. Superstition says that the owl must be touched with the left hand whilst the wish is being made.
...other Dijonnaise highlights mentioned included the Musee des Beaux Arts, known for its 14th century sculptures and European paintings.
...the article's author lunched at Les Moulins Bleus brasserie at Place des Ducs and said "the offered 30 types of crepes, regional wines by the glass or bottle and penache, a beer and lemonade combo that tasted better than it sounded."
So that's the HOOT about Dijon!
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Fantastic PalQ. Now about that beer mixed with lemonade drink tasting good..you think? Sounds ah, strange!
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Beer or ale and lemonade...isn't a similar drink popular in England? Is it a shandy?
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Penache has long been a popular drink in France and i think is the same as British Shandy. In either case to me it's not to my taste a'tall.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Thats is GREAT! Thanks Pal.
Dijon (la ville de la moutarde) is like Besançon, a (less) terribly undiscovered gem.
I often talk about the owl's trail on forums (no hooters!) You can see some of my guests (ozgirl for ex) touching the owl at Notre Dame church on my website guestbook.

Travelweekly made a mistake with the address of Les moulins bleus, the restaurant is actually located 4 rue Musette, a pedestrian street right in front of Notre Dame entrance. I don't remember seeing a restaurant place des Ducs.
You can find (french) reviews about it on cityvox.com
http://www.eng.cityvox.fr/restaurant...opinions-Place
I think I'm going to taste it soon!

We say un panaché. I don't like beer but I can drink it because the limonade makes the beer sweeter.

Can we read the article on line?
Thanks again Pal, you're a real one ;-)
I added a few pictures to my Dijon album today...
http://tinyurl.com/okerl
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Universite de Dijon students touch that little stone owl for good luck before taking exams.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Aah, the owl trail. I walked it so many times last spring in that rainy day. I agree that Besançon is the lesser known town. I enjoyed my day trip there. Thanks to Indy's suggestion.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Dijonnaise Coco:
Le site internet est: www.travelweekly.com - July 24, 2006 issue - not sure what is online
I basically copied all that pertained to Dijon - the article was mainly on Besancon with another little blurb about Ornans, which they call the Venice of the French-Comte region.
What about Ornans - is it a gem?
Passez un bon journee!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM

I didn't find anything on TW on line and don't want to sign up, never mind.

Ornans is in the Loue river valley. As a teenager I used to stay near Arc et Senans ans spend almost a month biking around in that valley. Unfortunately I don't know Ornans but you made me want to discover it.
There is a Gustave Courbet museum. His paintings are being shown in the USA for a few months (En 2006, de prestigieux musées américains proposent une exposition itinérante nommée "Courbet et le paysage moderne".Présentée au Getty Museum de Los Angeles du 21 février au 14 mai dernier, elle sera l'hôte du Museum of Fine Arts de Houston du 18 juin au 10 septembre 2006 puis du Walters Arts Museum de Baltimore du 15 octobre 2006 au 7 janvier 2007.)
With my family we went to Dole today, first to go to the aqua park (isis) and then have a nice walk in the town center. Very nice!
Remember Georgiegirl? We went there so fast I said I would go back there. It is definitely worth a visit!

J'ai passé une bonne journée Pal
coco

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Zut alors! Jamais jamais jamais - mon francaise jamais est totalement correct! C-
Merci et passez une bonne journee et un bon week-end - c'est parfait j'espere!
Pourquoi les francaise one dit <week-end> et pas <la fin de la semaine>?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

La chouette - il sait tous! C'est que autrefois j'ai dit mon fils quand il etait jeune et je l'ai dit les fables chaque soir dans son lit - "Un jour, dans la foret, il etait une chouette, et les chouettes sait tous les choses!
Professeur Coco: A, B, C ou D or E?
Merci - a tout a l'heure!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Don't worry, "zut alors" is a good start.
Mon français n'est jamais totalement correct (now it is in the right sense ;-))

We've been saying "week end" for a long time now and wouldn't like to change even when one of our ministers didn't want any english words in the french vocabulary anymore!

" Merci et passez une bonne journee et un bon week-end - c'est parfait j'espere!" ouiiii!!! toi aussi!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:08 AM

what do you want me to answer by A B C D or E???
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

that's our system in schools, A for excellent, B above average C average
D for dumb and E for complete failure. I'd grade moi-meme un C (j'espere!)
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Of course silly me!
I would put a C because I understand what you mean but... do you want the correction or you don't mind?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Non, pas rien, je vieux apprendre ecrire meilleure le francais! merci Professeur Coco! Je doit avoir mon fils, qui habite dans la meme ville que moi maintenant, parler francais avec moi, mais il ne veut pas! Dommage.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:49 AM

ok let's go!
La chouette- elle sait tout! C'est ce que je disais à mon fils quand il était jeune et je lui lisais des fables chaque soir dans son lit. "Un jour dans la forêt, il était une chouette, et les chouettes savent toutes les choses!"
Je veux ("vieux" is "old&quot apprendre à mieux écrire le français!
you're welcome!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

merci Coco, vraiment et passez un bonne la fin de la semaine!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:57 AM

UnE bonne fin de semaine! oh Pal! #-o ;-)
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

definitely a D- on this one!
One more silly question then i'll let you alone for the fin de la semaine - when i was babysitting my son in France his maman would always say "La Haut" when it was time to go to fait dodo - often say it quite sternly if the first saying didn't have its effect - is this a common saying in France - to tell the kids <La Haut> - <upstairs> when it's time for bed or was it just something unique to her? Is it common?
Merci.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -