Search

Dijon & the Jura: driving or train?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dijon & the Jura: driving or train?

Hello!

My husband and I are heading to France and Italy in a few weeks (Oct.14-November 4). We've got a loose itinerary so far, but there are still a lot of holes and questions that need answering! We're primarily interested in visiting some wineries and fromageries (Fruitieres) while in France and just generally interesting scenery!

We are buying a France/Italy railpass, as it seems the best deal, but not sure how many days yet, as we're still debating on renting a car as well.

Itinerary:

Paris--2 nights (I know we need at least a week to see Paris, but that's not the focus of our trip this time)

Here's where my questions begin: We'll leave Paris October 16th and need to be in Dijon for the 18th as we're going to a concert then, and then leave Dijon for Florence on the evening of the 21st or 22nd (night train).

Should we stop somewhere else between the 16th and 18th, or would it make more sense to head straight to Dijon and stay there the entire time, using it as a base for day trips?

We would really like to go to the Franche-Comte region. I've read that Poligny and Baume des Messieurs are lovely (and Baumes has some caves?). Are these accessible by train? Are they do-able as day trips from Dijon?

What is the driving like in this region? We've only ever driven in North America and our french is passable, but not great.

I've looked at Europcar, which seems to have reasonable rates ($280CAD for 5 days)?

Any help at all about this region would be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks,
Meagan

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Hi Meagan, I'm glad Trudaine made you change your mind about Burgundy! ;-)
Who are you going to see in concert? (Ben Harper is on the 19th )
If you have a railpass you can stick to the train, it takes 1h30 from Dijon to Poligny. Otherwise the roads are good if you drive, no problem at all.

Welcome and happy travels!
coco
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Coco,

Oops! Got my dates wrong, we are indeed going to see Ben Harper. Thanks for the quick post!
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM

That's great!
You can take a bus to go to the concert(and back)
http://www.divia.fr/sortir/zenith.asp (in french).
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM

Dear Meags,

Regarding Dijon, there is excellent train service between Paris and Dijon so that is an easy connection. And, I can recommend a day trip from Dijon to Beaune for great wine-tasting (my personal favorite is Patriarche Pere and Fils) and to visit the lovely Hotel Dieu.

The Franche Comte region is one of our favorite places in France. However, you will need a car since trains in the area are quite limited. The little town of Arbois is a perfect base for visits to Baumes les Messieurs and other sights in the area. We love the Hotel des Messageries in Arbois. Don't miss the tiny wine village of Pupillin (and the winery Desiree Petite).

You should have no problems driving in France. Traffic in these areas is generally light. Just be sure to get a good map (Michelin is excellent). Have a fabulous time!!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for everyone's replies! Any suggestions for wineries/cheesemakers/fruitieres are greatly appreciated!!