Search

Digital Camera

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Wendy

Digital Camera

We are travelling to Italy this summer and we have a digital camera that we love. I have enough memory for about 60 pictures. Batteries are rechargable (work in Italy though? Need converter?). I would like to find internet cafes where I can upload my pictures to my web account and delete them from my camera to start over. Is this readily available? We will be in Rome and Venice. Thank you.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Randy

Wendy, this has been discussed in this forum before. You might try doing a search. I think you might also be able to have the pictures transfered to a CD. I don't know what kind of camera you have, but I would recommend purchasing more memory for your camera before leaving and taking extra batteries with you. I have an Olymmpus D-460 Zoom and with one 128MB Smart Card I can hold almost 600 pictures. If you use AA batteries I would suggest that you get the CRV3 batteries (2 AA batteries put together --- Lithium), I get amost 6 months out of these batteries compared to a couple weeks out of the typical AA batteries. Hope I have been of some help.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Randy

Wendy: I did a search for "digital Camera" and there is a lot of stuff out there and I am sure your questions will be answered.<BR><BR>I would also recommend that you do not use your LCD monitor to compose pictures, the LCD really eats up the batteries. I use the normal viewer on my digital camera.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Maurice

We took the digital camera, laptop and external CDwriter to Italy last year.<BR>If your adaptor says 100-250V (or 120-240, or anything close to 220V) then it will work with just an plug adapter. All our items did. I took a tiny plug adaptor, an N.American octopus plug, and ran laptop and CDRW while charging the camera. Having lugged that, I can see why you would not want to.<BR>Buy extra cards before you leave. A 64Mb Smartmedia is about $40US and held about 77 pictures on my camera (a Fuji 4900Z).<BR>There is an internet cafe "EasyEverything" (orange logo) near the Via Vento(?) in Rome. Hundreds of computers, cheap rates. <BR>The default config on the computers may not recognize the camera (I assume it's USB) but default win98/Me/2K will usually recognize the generic USB card readers (Smartmedia or CompactFlash) without drivers; so maybe carry one of those around.<BR>If you're that web-savvy, you can post the drivers for your camera on your personal web site and download them wherever you end up, or take a CD with you (a copy!) with the drivers... But easy-everything had the computer behind a wood board with just the audio and usb plugs exposed. (neat - when you logoff, it reimages the whole machine so it's pristine for the next user).<BR>Hope this helps...

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:12 PM
ghataks

If you don't want to lug around a laptop or upload every day, you could try<BR><BR>a. Nixvue's Digital Album (5 GB hardrive) which is a small device that will read your CF/Smart Card and save to its mini Hard Drive, or<BR><BR>b. Iomega's Photoshow. This has slots for CF/SM and can transfer to 250 MB Zip disks. <BR><BR>I will be carrying an Iomega (about the size of a largish portable CD Player) for my Italy trip in July. <BR><BR>Have fun.<BR><BR>Regds

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 02:35 AM
Gretchen

I second the idea of buying more memory. Our battery charger worked in the shaver plugs in the bathroom. I have read some horror stories of using a recharger with adapter plugs--for whatever reason they were vaporized. I also have a Photoshow but had enough memory cards for my pictures by lowering the resolution one step--still very acceptable resolution. I think the other problem with uploading pictures particularly if very high resolution is the time it takes if I am understanding what others have posted.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Maurice

Electricity 101:<BR>Adaptor- converts round metal plugs to flat; no electronics. Smaller than one of those zippo cigarette lighters. Your device must handle 240Volts. Most modern computer/camera/walkman bricks will - read the fine print on the adaptor.<BR><BR>Converter - Electronics will change 240 volts to 120 (and have round plugs on one side and flat-plug receptacle on the other, too). Typically these are good for simple electronics; they don't handle the 500W to 1500W that heater elements need.<BR><BR>Stories about converters frying are from plugging high-watt items into low-power converters. Items that DONT handle 240V will give interesting results if plugged into an adaptor. You WILL learn to recognize the smell of burning insulation.<BR><BR>Check your electrical items before you go.