take a digital camera to Italy?

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

take a digital camera to Italy?

I take pictures to paint oils from, so usually shoot 15 or so rolls of film in a two week trip. This time I am thinking of taking a digital instead, but am wondering about how they are affected by the x-ray machines, and how expensive AA batteries are in Italy. Anybody know?
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:34 PM

x-rays have no effect--it is digital not chemical. I assume you will use rechargable NIMH batteries--just rotate 2 sets of those.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:52 PM

We used digital for the first time this past fall and are just thrilled with the results. Xrays are no problem.

If you don't have a dual voltage recharger, they can be purchased over there. We actually liked that better because we then didn't need a plug converter.

Have fun!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 03:42 AM

A converter for your charger will take care of your battery needs; I always bring 3 batteries and rotate. I took tons of pictures in
Tuscany and would edit the pictures from the day before while I was having coffee the next morning; that way I could edit the so so ones as I went along and keep the potentially good ones only.....
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 03:59 AM

If you want multiple shots of the same scenes you will be delighted with digital. It is so easy to just keep shooting - slightly different angles, different exposures, etc - and that is what makes for great shots. If you haven't got your camera yet do some research and find one with the type of batteries you want. Most take NIMH rechargable but some take AA shape and some take something specific to the camera. Battery chargers either come with the camera or you can get them at places like radio shack and the vast majority are dual voltage so all you need is the plug adapter for whatever country you are in. Get a backup battery (or set if the camera takes more than one battery) so you'll always have one charged. There are many good web sites for researching (and buying) digital cameras. My favorite is dpreview.com. You will love digital.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 04:26 AM
LJ

AA batteries are not appreciably higher here in Italy if you purchase them in bulk packs and from department (Oasis/UPIM)or hardware or electronics stores(Euronics). If you insist on purchasing from "Foto" stores, they are pricey.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:12 AM
ira

Hi md,

One more Yes for the digital. I took 1059 shots in 3 weeks, of which I saved 850.

I suggest that you pay more attention to the lens optics than the number of megapixels. Unless you are planning blowups larger than 8x10, 3 mpx is more than adequate.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 07:32 AM
JonJon

Forget the "a converter for your charger" recommendation above. LOOK on your battery charger...if it says it will accept voltages between 110/120 and up to 240+ then you do NOT need a converter..only the plug adaptor, in your case a two round pin "continental" plug.
I do not understand why folks tell people to take converters for equipment that obviously was designed not to need one.
Enjoy your digital pics. And, you might look into a progarm such as PhotoShop to enhance them once you return.

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 07:54 AM

JonJon is right. Most of the electronics we get these days (computer, digital camera, portable dvd player, cell phone charger, etc.) all have the dual voltage where you don't even have to flip a switch -- just have the plug adapter and find an outlet in your hotel room. Check the leaflet you get with the digital camera -- it will provide you with the information.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:41 AM

I love digital. Since you are not using film, you can take as many shots as you want, and more. I recharged by battery in the hotels overnight, and never had to use my backup battery. I would suggest you put a lot of thought into how you will store your pictures. If you have a laptop or similar device, you can load your pictures into it each night and start out the day with complete capacity on your camera. I have an mp3 player I use to entertain myself on the flights, and also to store pictures. Other people just carry extra memory cards, or larger memory cards, while some take their cameras into a local shop and have the pictures put onto a cd. Since I had a lot of memory capacity I was able to set the camera for higher resolutions, and the pictures are excellent.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Good morning, I too have used the
digital for the firt time last November and was supprized with the
quality of pictures. I have a chip
tht stores the maxiumum of the camera
and did have to change batteries about
halfway thru. Would take an extra set
of batteries, easier to carry than to
anything else. Between the camera and the compurter together was impressed that I could get any size print of those taken. Richard of LaGrange Park,Il..
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:55 AM

If carrying extra memory cards, would it be preferable to have several smaller memory ones or one large one?

What size would any of you recommend?
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:57 AM
ira

Hi nancy,

I brought 3 128 MB flash cards and brought home 850 shots.

I brought 3 smaller ones, so that if something happened to the flash card I wouldn't lose everything.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 09:54 AM

Nancy, I would agree with Ira on taking more cards rather than one with more storage space. My digital camera takes the new xD card, which is very small. I would be distraught to lose one, but at least it wouldn't have all my pics on it since I have other cards.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 09:55 AM

I would agree with Ira on taking more cards rather than one with more storage space. My digital camera takes the new xD card, which is very small. I would be distraught to lose one, but at least it wouldn't have all my pics on it since I have other cards.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good advice. You have convinced me to take a digital. I have an old one (Kodak DC 290) that takes pretty good pics. I am planning to buy a new one for taking pics of finished paintings, but will probably take the old one to Italy.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:39 AM

My problem would be that if you take a digital camera, you will stick out like a sore thumb and maybe even become a more appealing target for theft. Did anyone have any related problems, or is this just excessive worry?
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:42 AM
ira

Whereas, if she took an SLR she would blend in with the crowd?
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 11:28 AM

Even though my digital camera looks like an SLR, I agree with Ira. Any camera=tourist.

If you are planning on framing your photos you wil probably want to take your photos on an "extra fine" setting. That type of setting uses more memory and needs to be considered when you are estimating the number of cards you will need.

One other option is to have the images on your cards transfered to a CD (it's easy to find places that wlll do this in Italy.)
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 11:56 AM

True, but a cheap disposable camera is not an attractive theft target.

I guess there probably is no way of avoiding looking like a tourist - sort of funny to read all the posts about how to dress to blend in, when the effect will be ruined as soon as the poster pulls out his or her camera!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO