Reload this Page >

Digestive Problems when visiting...???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:37 AM
David

just wondering how many of you that have already visited Italy had any issues with the change in the cuisine and water. not that italy is anything like mexico, but i am aware that different parts of the world have their own types of bacteria and such unique to their region, and that visitors often have to go through a period of "adjustment". any one out there have their own take on this?

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:51 AM
Patrick

I'm lucky and never had a problem. But the best advice is to eat local yoghurt as soon as you arrive. Something about the local bacteria being present in it as a safe form, but forms an "immunity" to other sources of the local bacteria.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:58 AM
Carol

Never had any gastric problems through years of travel in Europe, other than indigestion because I couldn't refrain from "too much of a good thing". Important to look for signs at outside water sources. In France it is "eau non-potable"=NON drinking water. I can't remember what it is in Italia, but something similar. If you're prone to problems get a small Rx from your doctor prior to leaving.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:00 AM
Alice Twain

Sorry to say so, but yogurt hano no "local" bacteria at all. All bacteria in yogurt belongs to a very little number of families (Lactobacillus acidophilus, bulgaricus and a couple more). In the whole world the same bacteria are responsible for turning milk into yogurt, and no other bacteria can be found in well-preserved yougurt. Also, a good of the yougrt you can find in Italy is not an Italian product, since it is imported from other EU countries. As for the water, no bacteria in Italian water, which is usually heavily chlorated. Our laws are rather slack on the chemicals but very strict on biologic pollution.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:11 AM
discreet

Well, my husband & I had issue's but he has IBS (irratable bowel syndrome) and I'm prone to colitis. The issue was not like montazuma's revenge (SP?), I've experienced that!!!! It was just problematic in terms of it's inconvenience. We brought Immodium AD, which helped. I think part of it was the time difference and our bodies not knowing what the heck to do.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:20 AM
Alice Twain

Discreet:<BR><BR>Problems can arise also, without any need of bacterial infections or the such, from different foods and drinks and temeperatures, but these problems are usually easy to overcome with abit. I mean, just keep yourself in check during the first few days, eating easy to digest foods and not allowing yourself to be allured by more exotic stuff (this will come later). In any case, Imodium is for sale in Italy too.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:29 AM
YumYumYum

My major &quot;adjustment&quot; was letting my belt out.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
jj

I always take one shot of Pepto-Bismol each morning on any foreign trip, starting the day before I leave. Specific to Italy, I find the coffee can mess up my stomach. I drink brewed decaf at home, which is almost impossible to find in Italy, but I pay the price there because I want a cup of coffee in the morning. If you add enough warm milk to their tar-like coffee, it becomes a tolerable drink (Italy or France).

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:25 PM
claire

Luckily, I never had any of these digestion/intestinal problems while travelling in Europe (aside from one incident in Blois with a/some bad mussels. But, I have friends who claim they had &quot;issues&quot; initially with the higher natural mineral content in the water in Italy. So now they take it (water consumption) slowly until they feel they've &quot;adjusted&quot; to the water. Since it never bothered me, I have no idea if this is really something to look out for or not.