Search

difficulty walking

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
difficulty walking

Hi all,
I have some difficulty walking long distances - need to stop now and then to rest and heat exacerbates the problem.
I love Italy and I know a lot of European trips include much walking.
Are there any cities in Italy specifically or Europe in general that you suggest are better than others?
We've been to Sienna; Florence; Lucca.
We're thinking of going in April and I probably can check annual temps on websites. I don't mind going in the Winter if that's a recommendation since the cold is kinder to my body but then some things aren't open for tourism - eg: some of the cathedral/Art Museums in Florence.
Thanks for your help - I always get great responses from fellow Fodorites
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 06:24 PM

Torino is an Italian city that has much to offer the visitor, wonderful museums and food, good public transport, and it is flat.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 08:01 PM

ditto Padova.
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 01:05 AM

I am not sure why you are under the impression that sites aren't open in winter in Italy, unless you are specifically talking about public or religious holidays.

However, winter in Italy north of Rome can be snowy and stormy enough to make any kind of walking hazardous at times, so if you can go in April, that would be better.

And here is an underappreciated fact: Most towns and cities in Italy are flat. There are plenty of taxis most everywhere in Italy and bus service. There are also car rentals. You can also carry with you an "umbrella" chair, so you will have your own portable sit for sitting down if need be.

So the better to way to go about this, I think, is to think about what kind of experience of Italy you would enjoy most (sunny with palm trees, or art-rich cities, small towns that are sophisticated or farms and wine country. Do you like modern or medieval or Renaissance or ancient? There may be a few places you need to eliminate because there are too many hills or too many stairs. But in truth, the list of Italian destinations that are flat and have transportation options to assist you covers most of Italy.

Rome, Florence, Milan, Bologna, Torino, Verona, Sorrento, Bellagio, Padova, Ferrara, Lago di Garda, Modena, Parma, Alba, Asti, Aosta, Palermo, Agrigento, Siracusa, Ravenna, Arezzo, Bevagna, Udine, Aquiliea, Trieste, Treviso, Trento, Taranto and 90 percent of Puglia .... and quite a few more.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

thank you all- my last experience was sienna, lucca and florence in sept 2013. when doing research for that trip i thought i noticed that some of the cathedrals were closed during nov and/or dec as were some of the museums. but it's good to know that i was wrong.
sept was unusually hot so walking was tough esp in sienna.
i will research some more now that i have you input. special thanks to sandralist for your thorough reply
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 11:19 AM

Paris has benches every half a block. Great opportunities to people watch as well. And of course, there are all those lovely cafes.

Venice can be tricky but there are lots of churches to pop into for a sit. And riding the Vaparetto along the canal is a comfortable way to see the sights. Again, lots of cafes.

I think dealing with mobility issues are modifying your expectations and planning well for what you can and can't do. Yes to buses and taxis. No to underground and metros.

Don't give up on your plans.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 11:56 AM

If you want to see Cinque Terre, Monterosso is relatively flat and they have shuttle service that will get you from parking to the central piazza area (bypassing a lot of the long, hot beach front). You'd have to research that more, though, because we normally stay in Riomaggiore.

Just down the coast, Forte dei Marmi is particularly enjoyable OFF SEASON. Has a long pier, once used to transport marble (marmi) but now pretty much just used for strolls and fishing by locals. Has fine restuarants open in the winter and designer shops.

I love the Val d'Orcia area. If you want a historic spa location, Bagno Vignoni would be very nice Oct-May. Parking is literally 100 meters from the centro storico and it is all flat. But there's not much there except soaking, eating fine food and relaxing.

Nearby San Gimignano is smaller than Siena, but an equal nightmare for someone who has trouble with steep inclines. I would suggest either Pienza or San Quirico d'Orcia. They are pretty flat to walk, with lots of benches and cafes along the way, and the view is spectacular of the valley below.

As someone already suggested, Torino is a great big city option. While there is some cobblestone, I don't remember being bothered by it (like in Lucca).
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 12:44 PM

Going west from Padova, Vicenza is flat.

Verona is basically flat inside the loop of the river. You might miss the Roman Theater (the Roman Arena is on the flat) and a Famous Garden ( the name of which I can't remember) which is all but vertical. Both are across the river from the Centro. But everything else I remember is either on the flat or like San Zeno, a must see, is easily accessible by taxi, as sandralist suggests.

In Tuscany, Pienza is at the top of a steep hill, but dead flat in town including the parking, though the church is far from level inside since it is in the process of [slowly] sliding down the hill. Orvieto is on a mountain or large hill but dead flat on top once you take the funicular up.

Any place with "monte" in the name is likely to be steep. I think Assisi is particularly so, but I haven't been there.

Greve in Chianti is surrounded by hill but flat, Bologna and Ravenna are flat.

So go for it.

But I think late April or early May would be a good time to go. September is too hot, and many places turn off the A/C on a specific date in October whatever the temperature.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 01:37 PM

The famous Renaissance garden in Verona is Giardino Giusti, and most of it is flat. If one wants to, one can ascend to a lookout overview area, but it is possible to appreciate the view without it. However, for most people touriing the major sights of Verona, visiting the garden would be a long walk from other sights. It would be better to take a taxi.

Again, I am concerened that by singling out only a few Italian towns that are flat, it creates a misimpression. Italians are no different that the rest of the world in greatly preferring to build their towns and cities in flat areas, especially on banks of rivers (Rome, Firenze, Pisa, Verona, Torino, Parma, Ferrara, etc etc.) Where they felt it necessary to build on hilltops, for defensive or malarial reasons, they by and large did indeed create level walkways and piazza.

It may also be true that even today, when Italians go sightseeing in their own country, they prefer to visit flat towns rather than go hiking all the time. It is surely a novelty for Americans to visit vertiginous medieval hill towns, and they seem to think hiking is some kind of holy activity. Not so much Italians. They are quite happy strolling around the beautiful flat places whose historic centers are filled with gorgeous art and architecture. And every region of Italy has them, including Tuscany and Umbria, the Riviera and even coastal areas south of Rome.