Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Different tours in Paris..maybe a ghost tour?

Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son is taking his wife to Paris for the first time in October. They'd like to do a fun, quirky maybe scary tour of Paris. Anyone had such a tour? Please share.
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 08:01 AM

What are their interests and what do they consider to be quirky?

I have not done a ghost tour in Paris but have in other cities. I have to level with you, all they are is going from site to site hearing about some supposed "ghost" stories. They are really hokey and corny and not scary. Maybe Paris might be different, but.... probably not.

Maybe they would be interested in the Catacombs? https://www.catacombes.paris.fr/en#

Take a look on Viator or Get Your Guide for other options. You do not have to book through these sites as they are resellers. But they do list several different types of tours and if they see something they are interested in, they can usually find the name of the operator and book directly through them (often winds up being cheaper).
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 08:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Maybe Paris might be different, but.... probably not."

^^^ this

Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 08:33 AM
P_M

I have done ghost tours and they do include some history. For that reason I enjoyed them, but it makes more sense just to do a historical tour.

As for the ghost stories, if you do enough ghost tours, you will hear the same stories in different parts of the world. For example, I took a ghost tour in London, and another a few years later in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Evidently the ghosts of London took a group tour to Santa Fe, or vice versa. Some of the stories were the same, word for word.

But, it is good to know we can still travel in the afterlife. 👻
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 09:41 AM

We did the Paris sewer tour which was not scary but was not your typical tour. We did learn a lot and found it quite interesting.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 04:35 AM

I dont know why anyone wants to be scared but ghosts do not exist and that is not really a French concept, ghosts. That is more common in the UK. There is no tour that is going to scare any grown adult. You can find an occasional tour about mysteries/crime if you want. Google walkative tours paris, they have one.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by P_M
As for the ghost stories, if you do enough ghost tours, you will hear the same stories in different parts of the world. For example, I took a ghost tour in London, and another a few years later in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Evidently the ghosts of London took a group tour to Santa Fe, or vice versa. Some of the stories were the same, word for word.

But, it is good to know we can still travel in the afterlife. 👻
I wonder if they needed to carry their passports at all times.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 01:24 PM

I think the Catacombs would be great! They do only offer tickets one week out and they do sell out so you have to be on top of it.
I think Pere Lachaise Cemetery is beautiful and fascinating. I noticed Viator offers a haunted tour of it. I don't know how much of a haunted aspect there is but having a guide would be good because it is huge.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a less ghoulish tack, how about a cheese tasting?
https://www.davidlebovitz.com/cheese...ours-in-paris/
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 02:23 PM
P_M

Originally Posted by AJPeabody
On a less ghoulish tack, how about a cheese tasting?
https://www.davidlebovitz.com/cheese...ours-in-paris/
That would be less cheesey than the ghost tour.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 03:54 PM

Another idea for a different kind of tour you might want to consider is an electric bike night tour from Paris Charms & Secrets, which does daytime and night tours, but according to their website "the night tour is more about the city itself; its secret stories, its illuminated monuments, and the particular "Paris by night's atmosphere". My husband and I signed up for this for our trip in September and I'm really looking forward to it! https://www.parischarmssecrets.com/
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 08:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There have never been many ghosts on the continent since it is a British thing. And I read recently that even the ghosts in England are dying out now because younger generations are not as foolish as their elders. However, the catacombs in Paris are suitably creepy if that is the desire.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 01:01 AM

Hazel1 great idea. I was going to suggest to the OP a bike ride as well. My husband and I are going to sign up to a bike ride of the Marais area and the Latin Quarter.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 04:27 AM

There is a French Revolution walking tour that seems to be well received ... https://www.contexttravel.com/cities...n-history-tour your son could contact them in advance to see if there are any ghostly connections in places along the tour.

I have done two ghost tours, one in London and one in Charleston, SC. The London one was the standard hokey tour with plenty of low humor. The Charleston one was an adults-only tour with just a handful of people joining. The leader was a history professor and his tour was quite interesting, he related the ghost stories to historic events, local culture, slavery, the Civil War etc. It was not corny in the least and we learned quite a bit.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Well fortunately you don't have to take the tour. She's not looking to be scared out of her mind. Just looking for recommendations, not condemnation.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 06:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Christina
I dont know why anyone wants to be scared but ghosts do not exist
Tell that to Ebenezer Scrooge!

To para(normal)phrase Peter and Gordon:

"I don't care what they say
I won't stay in a world without ghosts."

Old Jun 5th, 2024, 06:41 AM

They might enjoy going to the Paris Vampire museum (le musee des vampires) - you need to contact the owner and make a private booking. I haven't been yet, but have heard it's deliciously spooky, with "real" artifacts.

They also might enjoy visiting Le Musee des arts Forains, which is a park full of old antique carnival rides, some of which are super creepy. It's a neat experience!

In October, Le Manoir de Paris opens, which is like an interactive haunted house show. I've never been when it's open, but I hear it's great (while a bit kitschy.)

I love spooky stuff, so I got you
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 09:48 AM

The Dark Dreams Paris could be a cool spot for your son and his wife. It's got this unique horror show vibe where they can walk through a maze and get spooked by actors. It's like a live-action escape room but with a creepy twist. Definitely not your typical tour, but it could be a fun. Just a heads up, it's a bit intense, so it's not for the faint-hearted.