Difference between TGV and SNCF

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:10 AM
lol
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between TGV and SNCF

hi
I would like to take a day trip from Paris to Dijon and I was checked both sites (sncf.com amd raileurope.com) and noticed that the latter is much more complicated and expensive.
Can any one advise on which is better.
I am travelling with my parents so I would prefer a confirmed reservation yet it seems that doing so on TGV is gonna cost more, is it worth the difference?
I am considering a second class ticket, are both comfortable?
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:29 AM
Intrepid

Raileurope is run by a consortium of european railroads, principally SNCF, as a way of marketing and promoting european rail travel to (in this case) American customers.
Raileurope charges a premium for their services and it is usually cheaper to buy directly from the individual railroad involved. That said, the SNCF site is specific to the French National Railways.
The main difference between taking a TGV and other types of train would be speed, with the TGV being the faster mode. I think the biggest difference between 1st and 2nd would be space...2nd will probably have more people because it is cheaper to use and the seating configuration in 2nd is 2 and 2 across the aisle vs. 2 and 1 in 1st. Some train sets may have a different configuration.
I suspect most folks will tell you that the differences between 1st and 2nd aren't worth the additional price.
I'll try to give you time differences for the journey in a subsequent post.
Hope this helps.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Intrepid

It looks as if most of the trains, if not all of them, from Paris to Dijon are TGVs...but check on the SNCF site to be sure.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:46 AM

TGV is a high-speed rail network (it stands for train à grande vitesse) and on their dedicated tracks these trains go about 300 kph (185 mph). There are also a lot fewer stops along the way. For the trip to Dijon, this results in a travelling time of 1 hour, 35 minutes compared to 3 hours, 15 minutes. Is it worth it? It depends on if you want to spend your day trip in Dijon or on a train.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:48 AM
lol
Original Poster

hi
thanx Intrepid.
I have checked the sncf site and they have trains to Dijon daily. I was just asking about the quality of the trains in 2nd class. I think if the trains are ok, I will go with the sncf one. I am not that interested in speed if that is the only difference.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Intrepid

Glad to be of help...do what you feel is best and don't ever let yourself be intimidated by any answers you get on this board...it's YOUR trip to do with as you please.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:39 AM

Hi lol,

> I will go with the sncf one. I am not that interested in speed ..

Just a clarification on your understanding of SNCF and TGV as I got a bit confused by the title of this thread. I see by SNCF you mean to say ordinary trains are slower and often cover shorter distance than TGV. TGV trains are part of SNCF which is the French National Railways. Just for your futur reference.

Also even if you are not interested in speed, wouldn't it be nicer to have 3 more hours in Dijon than on the train since you are making only a day trip ;-)
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:42 AM

There is 2nd class on TGV also which is perfectly fine. The point made is that tickets on the TGV can be bought on the SCNF site also. RailEurope is basically a travel agent and charges more for whatever reservations they make. Go to the SCNF site or call them (they have an English speaking operator) and make your choice based on time and expense. It is only an hour to Dijon on the TGV.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:50 AM
ira

Hi lol,

You can make your reservations as early as 60 days in advance direct from the SNCF website.

You might get a discount fare that way.

Choose the option that allows you to print out the reservation. Bring that with you, along with the credit card to which it was charged, to get your ticket.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:54 AM

> wouldn't it be nicer to have 3 more hours in Dijon than on the train ..

Oops, Cluny already mentioned it.

Gretchen, it seems more like 1,5 hrs as Cluny said. But I agree. It would make more sense to take a TGV.