Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Difference bets. mini-cab/car, taxi and hired car service?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Barbara

Have read numerous references to different types of car services: mini-cab/car, taxi, and hired car services. I understand taxi, if it is like the US, pay per minute of use. I do not understand the difference between this mini-cab/car and hired car service? Please explain. I am guessing a hired car is similar to what we call "limo" service in the US. Paying a fixed rate to be taken from Point A to Point B at a scheduled time. Like being taken from Heathrow directly to your hotel for a fixed fee. What is a mini-cab/car?

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Barbara

Sorry for the typo. I meant difference "betw." as in between the services, not "bets."

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:00 AM
ron

There is no difference between mini-cab and car service. They are both unmetered taxis not licensed to pick up on the street. The term car service is used for mini-cabs that specialize in airport services - it sounds classier.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 10:42 AM
barbara

Thank you Ron! I am working with a serviced apartment in London who tells me they can arrange a mini-car pick up for me at the airport. I have asked them to send me the prices. What is the normal price range for a hired car from Heathrow into the Mayfair district?

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Patrick

Swiss Cottage Cars charges me 25 pounds. London Transfers I believe charges 34 pounds. So I'd hesitate if it is more than that.