Did your parents take you to Europe??

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 12:43 PM
katrina

Did your parents take you to Europe??

I'm thinking of taking my children, ages 14 and 10 on a trip to Europe, probably Italy, Switz and France (summer 2001). I, myself did not make it to Europe until I was 28 (never had the means to do so), and went on my honeymoon to Spain and Portugal (only countries I could afford then . I have since been there a few times, to England, Italy and France-(Paris, only), some business, and some personal. I love Europe, and want to expose my children- we've been on many 'beach' and Disney world vacations already. My only hesitation is this one image I have---. When in Paris, on a business trip, I passed by some backpacker college students, eating baguettes, looking disheveled, but also looking like they were having the time of their lives. I, after having slept in a top notch hotel, and ate in an incredible restaurant, looked at THEM rather jealously, wishing I could trade places. (although, at 40, I guess their youth had something to do with it!!) My thought is--would you rather your parents had taken you to experience Europe, (and stay in somewhat nice places, go the semi-deluxe route), or have your first taste be as a wide eyed kid on your own, on a Eurail pass, eating cheese, sleeping in hostels, etc. I'll probably still take my kids, because honestly, I want to go, and we do have fun travelling together as a family, but I'm just interested in some points of view. Thanks!!!!

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 12:58 PM
Melinda

My parents took me to Italy at ages 12, 14, and 16. I went again on my own at 18. I am taking my kids (16, 18, 20) this summer. My younger siblings were 10, 8 and 4 on our first trip. We had the best time when I was 16 because we had a car and drove around the south and then took the train to Rome. We loved it every time though. Pompeii was our favorite tourist site. Shopping in Rome was a favorite for my sister and me. Overall, as a family, we most enjoyed the drives from tiny town to town, eating in local places we passed at mealtimes without pre-planning, and sometimes just picnicing on cheese, sausage and bread from local groceries. We stayed at pensiones in Rome, with continental breakfast and dinner included, and ate lunches out (cheaper). Overall, I would say Italy is the best place in Europe to take kids. (I've been to quite a few places.) Spain would be my other best spot with kids. It was a great experience for my family and I am really looking forward to sharing it with my kids.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 01:00 PM
Howard

I would think that if you take your children now, they can enjoy the trip, AND go on their own later, to whatever benefits tehy get out of that. I don't think a trip now will at all spoil it for wwhatever happens later. <BR> <BR>Howard

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 01:03 PM
Caitlin

Maybe you could split the difference. I didn't go to Europe as a kid, and in fact even now, my dad's been once (to Hungary, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic, where he and my stepmom visited relatived of hers as an offshoot of a conference she had in Budapest), and my mom took her first o/s trip this summer, to South Africa and Zimbabwe. They can afford to travel places now more than when I was a kid, but aren't obsessed by it... <BR> <BR>I'm always jealous of my boyfriend, though, who did a lot of European traveling with his family while growing up. His parents' MO wasn't luxury or semi-luxury, though; instead, they'd take three-week trips, rent a car, and stay in pensiones, etc. In this way, he traveled through wide swaths of Italy, Spain, Austria, and Greece. <BR> <BR>But here's the thing: even if you take your kids now, which I think you should if you can, they'll get to do it again on their own--either rediscovering places from a different perspective or forging into new territory (after all, you won't be able to take them everywhere). <BR> <BR>I want to get to all the dozen or so countries my boyfriend's been to, but we also really like the dea of exploring together the places he didn't go as a child or young adult (these include some biggies, like France, the Low Counties...)

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 01:06 PM
Jill

You are very fortunate (and so are your kids) that you can even think about taking them to Europe. The farthest I got from home as a kid (in NY) was Cape Cod! But I made up for it later. I think travel is great for kids if they can appreciate it, if they whine and complain that they'd rather be home with friends then no. With many things (car, education, etc.) you appreciate it a lot more if you pay for it yourself. Just a thought.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 01:13 PM
Angelique

I was a military brat, and lived in Italy for two years between the ages of 5 and 7. My best friend, to this day, lives in Italy (we're 30 now), and all I can say is that you are never too young to travel, and experience new cultures and sights. <BR> <BR>I returned to Europe during both my early teens, and my late teens, sometimes with my parents and a few times with college/grad school students. Trust me, students will find new experiences anyplace they go - some of which parents are better off not knowing about! <BR> <BR>I've since returned as a "grown-up", and spent the time in the "nice" hotels my parents could not afford, or I could not afford as a student. There is something different and special about every trip. However, there was nothing like the memories I have of travelling with my parents as a child. For example, one of my clearest (and fondest memories) as a child is visiting a Venice glass-blowing factory where the craftsman gave me the horse he had fashioned during the demonstration. <BR> <BR>Travel in itself is an education. Your children will develop more poise and confidence as a result of new experiences. Take the kids; they will remember the trip, and thank you for it one day.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 01:15 PM
Rex

My parents SENT me to europe, not took me when I was 15, on a six-week long study trip of Ancient Civilization. The whole six weeks cost $900, I think. That was 1969. <BR> <BR>They first went in the 1980's, I think, to Scotland and Ireland, and then let me take them for their fortieth anniversary in 1992. <BR> <BR>We first sent our daughters to France, for three weeks, when each of them was in the fifth grade(age 10-11) with AFAC (the Association of French-American Classes - - see www.afac.org for more details). Since then, we have taken all three of them once at ages 14, 15.5 and 17.5 - - and the younger two at ages 16 and 17.5, for spring break (of the senior year of our middle daughter). Our youngest daughter is planning that "HER" senior trip will be the biggest yet - - she is planning even now for a trip in 2002 on which she vows she will have a whole gaggle of friends who want to come along. If they (the friends)have the money, we will figure out how to do it. <BR> <BR>As for your question, Katrina, I think that you can take them traveling in whatever style actually suits your family (I think that the Park Lane and the Ritz sorta misses a lot of the fun of Europe). If they want to go back, sometime between the ages of 15 and 35, traveling on a shoe string - - back them up as best you can - - with moral support, financial assistance, planning help or whatever. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 01:18 PM
Richard

From a parent, I took my kids to Europe twice, once when my daughter graduated from HS and again when my son graduated HS. We were fortunate, the 2nd trip, in 1965, we still had "East Germany" and we drove the Autobahn from Munich to Berlin, experiencing the check point at the border and again going on the 'S'Bahn from West to East Berlin. We did the typical, London, Paris, etc. My sole reason for the trip was to instill in my children that travel to Europe is rewarding and fun (in Paris, our waiter brought my son's Coke, calling it "American Beaujoulais"). Since, they've all gone back on their own.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 02:51 PM
Steve

I also was sent on a study tour of Europe when I was 15. It was a turning point for me. I had always lived in a rather sheltered enviroment and although we had travelled quite a bit in the U.S. I was very aware of other cultures. I believe our course was called "Comparative Cultures and Humanities". Anyway-I think it would great to take your kids in whatever style you feel comfortable.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 03:09 PM
Diane

Nope, but we had wonderful family vacations all over the US. It was just too expensive to take us to Europe, however my younger sister studied German in Germany the summer between her Junior and Senior year of high school. As we left home for college, my parents started traveling to Mexico and Europe. I got to go to England and Ireland after I married someone who came to the US as a child. My parents DID instill a love of travel in us, a lot of common sense along with "good manners," and a great deal of confidence. My husband and I didn't take our kids to Europe, but we did take them to visit their grandparents in Texas and Florida, to Mexico and to Quebec City and Montreal. We also sent our daughter to Germany at age 11 with her gymnastics team, and our son to Wyoming with his 8th grade class (hey, Wyoming is pretty exotic for a suburban kid!). They've since travelled on their own to the Caribbean, Cancun, and my daughter's in the midst of a 3 month trip to Costa Rica (her college graduation present.) Family travel -- whatever the destination -- can build great bonds. I sort of like that it doesn't matter where we go. The real prize is that we all have such a good time together. Last Christmas we went dogsledding in 17 below zero (farenheit) weather in the Charlevoix region of Quebec. This Christmas we're all meeting at my Mom's house in Florida. Maybe next year we'll all get to go to Barcelona, if everyone's schedules permit it.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 04:09 PM
Marsha

Katrina: I first went to Europe (and the Mideast) as a "wide-eyed" 20 year old, staying at hostels and "picnicing." (Ok, I also attended school and stayed in a private home, so I didn't "rough it" all the time.) When I travel now, I don't have to stay at fancy hotels or eat at elegant restaurants. I am content with a clean room with a bathroom and a meal from a street vendor or a family cafe. I prefer to see real people and observe their lives, and spend my money visiting the sights and lesser-known attractions. In this respect, I am glad I did not go with affluent parents. <BR>My daughter (at age 8) went on her first trip abroad this year and loved it! If you want to instill a love of traveling in your children, start early in their lives. You do fun things when you travel with kids that you might never do when you travel with adults. (Like spending the morning digging in the sand box and playing on the playground equipment at Luxembourg Gardens - you never know who you will meet.)

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 04:32 PM
SharonM

Katrina, <BR>Aside from growing up all over (Texas, South Dakota, Idaho, Michigan, Mexico City, Louisiana, etc...) we spent every summer, somewhere, traveling. My dad, a geology professor, would take his grad students every summer to work on their doctorates and we would tag along... from living in a tent in the black hills for 2 months with just a pump and river for running water, to living in a tent on a New Mexican ranch next to the Chiricahua mountains, to climbing up and sliding down the craters of volcanos in Mexico... <BR>In the third grade my parents took my brother and I out of school for a month to live in Guatemala City. We took the train from Michigan to New Orleans, almost missed our Aviateca flight due to Mardi Gras parades, and flew into an entirely NEW WORLD to an impressionable kid (or anyone!) <BR>I have grown up seeing so many wonderful sights, have had the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people(s), experience so many cultures, languages... I feel so fortunate that my parents gave me these awesome experiences and memories. I feel truly blessed. (although I didn't always feel that at the time...) <BR> <BR>...ALWAYS wanted to go to Europe!!!!! (It just wasn't my parent's thing.) <BR>I was in Europe for the first time TWICE w/in the year I graduated from college! <BR> <BR> <BR>Teach your children well. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 05:04 PM
Judy

Katrina, Does Niagara Falls count as Europe? I thought not. I was lucky I went to the Jersey Shore! I was a true "baby boomer", Levittown anyone? No backpacking for me(even though I wish I would have done it!) Differant times, I suppose....If you can afford it, then go for it!

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 05:20 PM
Katrina

Wow!! I love reading all your responses. <BR>Thanks!!

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 05:36 PM
gaardenbabe

Had 2 European trips "Europe on $5/d when I was 12 & 18 with my family of 6 in the 60's. I will never forget them!!! Places we stayed were the true Europe flavor! The gardens, museums, history, beauty & sense of adventure & travel will ever be a part of me! <BR> <BR>The funny things including getting locked out of a shared bathroom in nothing but a towel, having our chatty Cathy dolls & Barbies gawked at, & meeting & accidently getting engaged to (by only smiling & nodding to!) boys of all nationalities was intoxicating! I paid much more attention to boring high school subjects like history & art appreciation after that. My e-mail name says what effect Hampton court & Versailles had on me as a teen! Do it! you'll never be sorry & neither will they---good, bad or indifferent---Europe as a child or teen makes it's indellible mark!

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 06:11 PM
KATHY

Hi all, <BR>I live in the U.S. and have taken the kids to Disneyworld several times when they weere younger. As they have gotten older we have taken them on several vacations in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. They loved them all, and love going on vacation in general. They are now 11 and 16 and we will be going to Europe for the first time in June. They are as excited as I am. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 07:17 PM
Susan

Katrina: Take them! I was fortunate enough to go to Europe (8 countries in a month) at age 8 on a concert tour with a private chorus which my brother and I belonged to. My mother went as a chaperone, which is why I was able to go so young. As young as I was, I still remember certain things from that trip (being at the top of the Eiffel Tower, the boat across the English Channel, everything so green in Heidelberg, the bridge in Lucern, etc. etc.) I also went back in college on a ski trip to Montreaux, Switzerland ($295 for 7 nights, flight, breakfast & dinner, even then it was a fantastic deal). Your kids will remember it forever. I finally convinced my husband that Europe is great and we're going next year. <BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 01:40 AM
Paulo

My parents first took my brother and me abroad when we were 9/10 years old. Except for my father, who stayed for a week on arrival and two weeks on return, we stayed almost 5 months. My mother took us once again when we were 15/16 for almost 3 months. My first solo trip was at age 21, with my uni mates. <BR> <BR>We took our daughters the first time when they were 5/6. At age 11 each in turn went on their own on summer camps educational programs and at age 13 each travelled once again with the same program, now for foreign family stays. They finally went completely on their own at age 17. At age 15/16 they came along with us and, in turn in between, each had the opportunity to come with us while the other was involved with the educational program. <BR> <BR>My daughters have a bunch of friends that have gone solo the first time up, at age 18-20. Though their friends have had a very good time, my daughters are firm in stating that most of them missed a lot because in a way they weren't really prepared for their solo trip regarding history/culture/art. I felt the same with respect to my class mates in my first solo trip. <BR> <BR>To make the most out of it, involve your kids in your trip planning. Choose some smaller cities you'll be visiting and tell them they'll be completely in charge in those cities. We used this approach with our daughters and the result was unbelievable. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 05:34 AM
hamlet

My parents took me to Asia when I was 5 and to Europe when I was 8. I have memories of both trips, although none have to do with great works of art I saw or the historical importance of some of the sights. It was more of an eye opener to other cultures even though I grew up going to New York City frequently so I was not a stranger to cities or seeing people from all parts of the world. At times during these trips we stayed with friends or family member and at hotels so that added to the perspective too. Between the ages of 8 and 20something I never went to Europe but in my 20s I finaly made it back with little trouble deciding to do it on my own (but not the backpacking way). At your kids' age I am sure they would enjoy and get a lot out of a trip to Europe. At that age I am sure they can begin appreciate art and history of it all when they are there, and moreso down the road. There have been lots of threads on the forum about how to get kids excited/prepared/interested. (Just don't go overboard on castles and cathedrals!) <BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 08:18 AM
joel dionne

Last november we spent almost 3 weeks travelingin Europe with our 4 and a half year old. It was her 3rd trip to <BR>Europe. We did France,Italy,and Switz- <BR>erland. My wife and I are both 47 years <BR>young. We stayed in Youth hostels in Switzerland and in low cost hotels else- <BR>where. It was great. We were the oldest <BR>onces at the youth hostels, everyone was very nice to our daughter. When we mentions a trip to Europe, she gets excited. We are thinking of Prague next spring. The language doesn`t both us... <BR>till now. We speak both english and french fluently and have always managed <BR>to get anything and everything that we <BR>needed just fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -