Devaluation of U.S. dollar/planning

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devaluation of U.S. dollar/planning

We planning a short trip to Europe--the specific country will be decided by the expense. We'd like to stay fairly traditional touristy--London, Paris, Rome, etc

Is it poor planning to be doing this now considering how badly the dollar--and the U.S.'s reputation--is doing there?

Is there a way to plan for an inexpensive to moderate experience?
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:14 PM

I would use Priceline, at least for London hotels, because you will prepay now for travel that will cost more later, if the devaluation continues. You can at least lock in some of your costs that way.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:58 PM

Countryside!!!

If you have a car, stay outside of the big towns and either drive or train ride back in for the day!
Usuallly much cheaper and nicer digs!
JOHN
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:16 PM

Decide what you're going to spend, and then see if you can work out a trip that meets that budget. It's hard for anyone else to know what will work for you and your finances.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:18 PM

If you stay "fairly traditional touristy" than you can expect to pay more as the cities you mentioned London, Rome, Paris are far more expensive than other lesser known destinations in Eastern Europe.

In terms of planning for a moderate to inexpensive vacation, there are plenty of ways to do that. Don't book expensive hotels and find restaurants that offer good value. This site and others like Lonely Planet have message boards for budget travel. I'm sure you'll be able to find ways to get reasonable rates.

BTW, the dollar hasn't been devalued. Without getting too far into it, it is more accurate to say the dollar has declined in value versus the Euro versus the historically low rates of the recent past. A devaluation is a technical term meaning something vastly different.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:23 PM

Hi
If it's one of the capitals that you really want to see, then plan it that way, and find inexpensive hotels, travel off-season, don't plan on shopping, eat modestly--there are ways to save. If you are a New York (City) girl, then you already know about the high cost of restaurants and hotels in a big city--but you also know that there are neighborhood cafes, and small hotels, that are very moderately priced.

Get your air fare figured out first--in high season that can be your biggest nut to crack. And pick a city, a time frame, and a trip length, so people can make specific suggestions about hotels and eating.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:06 PM

If you are on a tight budget, stay away from London. You can do Paris and Rome relatively inexpensively if you look hard enough, but London is very, very expensive. Agree with the others that smaller towns are your best bet.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:10 PM

And stop worrying about the dollar. A dinner out in the U.S. with a good bottle of wine is still more expensive than most dinners in Europe especially in small towns. Also Spain and Italy still are bargains compared to England & France.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd skip London if you're trying to economize.

Don't focus on the exchange rate, rather figure out what is a reasonable budget for you, then start planning.

I don't think there's an <inexpensive> way to do major European cities, but certainly moderate. Start with 3-star hotels, if they are too expensive for you drop down to 2-stars, B&B, pensiones, convents, etc. Don't eat in fancy restaurants. Don't pay for expensive tours rather organize your days yourself.

I don't spend a penny more in Europe than I would if I were eating out a couple meals and having to get a hotel room in my own home city (Seattle).
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:56 PM

NYgirl

Consider Paris. If you are flying from NYC, London or Paris will be less expensive to fly to than Rome. However, London will cost more for eating and sleeping. SO, I say go to Paris.

We have had a few trips to Paris that we took because there were airfare sales. We have found that hotels in Paris provide more for the money than the other cities mentioned.

In Paris, it is easy to eat reasonably. Public transportation is fairly inexpensive. I suggest Paris.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:13 PM

NYgirl, I've found Paris to offer more for the money in comparison to London and I don't think it is entirely a matter of simply knowing Paris more intimately. London is just plain expensive and that fact is borne out in cost surveys year after year.

It is NOT poor planning to be doing this now. Visiting many popular U.S. destinations and particularly major cities can easily cost more than what you will encounter with a trip to Paris. (If the airlines ever get their supply aligned with demand, you could easily "lose" more on the airfare side by waiting than you will with a less than optimum exchange rate right now -- and this is assuming that it will improve.)

Go and enjoy yourself, because none of us knows what tomorrow will bring to us either individually or in the form of general conditions that can change for better or worse.

The general unpopularity of U.S. foreign policy isn't likely to have any impact on you individually. Your presence and interest will make a far greater statement about you than any label of nationality ever could.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:13 PM

NYgirl, we stayed in nice hotels in London for as little as $75 USD. You can eat lower on the restaurant food chain, and museums are free. I would not skip London for anything!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:00 PM

I agree with the countryside proposition. Sometimes one big city for a couple days, followed by either renting a small car or taking trains in the countryside is not only cheaper (hotels are sometimes half) but restaurants are usually amazing AND cheaper. Do something fun, kitschy, and different. I know you can stay, in a much nicer hotel, I may add, for the price of a scummy hotel in the city. Also, Europe can be a big stress if your elbowing Nebraskans in the Louvre the entire time. I saw an amazing article recently about Basque Country, which looked absolutely amazing...if your up to a little more eclectic of a vacation. Maybe an island destination, too? Anybody know how rates run in Corsica? (But then again Corsica may be my own Napoleon obsession speaking out! haha)

whatever you do...enjoy your trip! If you're really worried about the dollar stay out of Britain...oh and avoid scandinavia like the plague! $20 open faced danish sandwiches are the last thing you need.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. I'm probably overthinking this--as New Yorkers we've certainly had to deal with high prices, so it may not shock me as much as I think.

Thus far, Paris seems like the best bet from what I've seen. And go-today.com seems to have a good rep and reasonable packages from where we're flying.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:13 AM
QC

May I suggest Amsterdam? (I agree with Paris being a good bargain, but I just want to throw another idea in there)

Lodging in Amsterdam is very expensive...if you go on a weekend. Midweek hotel prices are comparable to what you'd spend in Paris (maybe a little bit more), but I found food and shopping to be much cheaper (it was easy to compare, both use the Euro).

It was a lot of fun, very low-key, and EVERYONE speaks fluent English. You can also see pretty much everything in 3 or 4 days. NS (Dutch Rail) goes to every town in the Netherlands and 2nd class tickets rarely cost more than a few Euros, so daytrips are really really easy.

Airfares from NYC are very reasonable, especially if you are willing to fly out of Newark.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:41 AM

I don’t want to sound like a dweeb here, but I do wonder sometimes about the rationale driving those questions of the “how expensive is Europe” variety.

Last summer my partner and I spent a month in Europe, and spent about $10k to do it. We’re not wealthy, so that $10k was a meaningful chunk to us. We also spent a total of about 6 days of that time in London, and couldn’t help but notice that prices for everything were, as indicated here, quite a bit more than we’d expected.

Were we annoyed? Did we regret it? Not at all, because all during our trip we kept in mind what we were actually getting for the outlay. One incident comes to mind. We had queued up to visit Westminster Abbey, and my partner saw the signboard posting the entrance price. “Wow, that’s steep,” he remarked. My response: “Yes, it is. However, this *is* the only Westminster Abbey on the planet, so we’re not going to see it elsewhere cheaper.” Once inside, he quickly agreed that the opportunity to experience that particular bit of English history was well worth the price. He actually wanted to return a second time, so we did!

So there is, as the MBA’s I’m forced to interact with remind me almost every day, the ‘value proposition’ to consider. What is the reward for the outlay? If one goes to London and eats at McDonald’s and sleeps in Hyatt motels – I’d say the value proposition is absolutely lousy and represents a complete waste of money. However, if one eats dinner (as we did) in a 300-year old pub in the Midlands, and stays in a musty, cozy, and friendly old London B&B – I’d say the value proposition is pretty rich, and was worth every penny spent on it.

So, I guess it is fair to say Europe is expensive in absolute terms, if you’re buying Kentucky Fried Chicken in Paris with your steadily-weakening dollar. If you’re purchasing unique experiences, and once-in-a-lifetime memories that will last forever – I don’t think it’s expensive at all.

Fritzrl
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:52 AM

We're going to the U.K. in May and a friend sent along the following web site which shows the dollar/pound exchange rate to be best in March ($1.59/£1), although I'm obviously not sure how accurate these figures will turn out to be. http://www.neatideas.com/pound.htm
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:00 PM
ira

>I'm obviously not sure how accurate these figures will turn out to be. <

I can tell you. They forecast $1.83 for Jan and $1.79 for Feb.

Today's rate is $1.88.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:06 PM

Another option is Spain, which I love, and getting a 5 day Parador card--check out parador.com (I think it is--or google it), also bancotel.com or petrabax.com have hotel deals that are less expensive.

We're going to Amsterdam, Italy, & Spain in May and I'm finding Italy very high, but am still searching, and am trying to get rooms in Amsterdam on priceline.

Agree with those that suggest avoiding London now--we were there last year and it was really high.

Greece is supposedly less expensive and although I've never been, I hear so is Portugal.

You're lucky you're flying from NY--you (unlike me in Seattle) can get very reasonable flights.

Good luck!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I know I've chimed in once already, but to reiterate, I would never let an exchange rate determine whether I take a trip or stay home. I do not even think about it (pounds in London, euro in Amsterdam, franc in Switzerland... whatever).

If you have the time and money GO, once you are there simply spend economically stay within your budget, choosing from the options available (hotel, food, entertainment, etc.).