Dessert only in Paris restaurants

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Dessert only in Paris restaurants

Is it possible to have dessert only in a museum restaurant? I'm thinking of doing this at the Muse Branly, but thought I'd better ask here first.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:41 PM
ira

Hi E,

Instead of dinner?

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:54 PM

I'm thinking the more 'high end' restaurants and the tinier bistros will not serve dessert only.

This is easily done in a more casual establishment, corner cafe/brasserie places...
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 02:04 PM

In a museum restaurant, I really can't say, but we experienced a real douzy seveal years ago trying to do just that at Pizza Pino on the Champs d'Elysee.

We tried to order a couple of cognacs and some ice ream and the waiter said this was impossible. After a great deal of going back and forth as to why it was impossible and the reply was always that one had to order a meal, my husband in the great style of Jack Nicholson said " Bring me the ice cream, the cognacs and a pizza and you can keep the pizza". End of story.

Bon Chance! You might give the Branly a call when you arrive in Paris and verify.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 02:16 PM

The garden cafe - fine - it is quite casual for museum goers.

But for the main restaurant, I would think probably not (though I haven't yet eaten there)
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Ira, yes- dessert without a meal. I had a hunch that it's not done, but had to ask here where most any question will find an answer.

Thanks everyone. Good story, Historytraveler;-) It reminds me of my college days when coeds weren't allowed in the dining room in bermuda shorts. One brave woman, just ate her breakfast in front of the cashier. We had some crazy rules in the 60s...
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 03:16 PM

In general I don't think it is done in Paris. However, DH and I love the crepes suzette at La Petit Zinc. One evening we were not very hungry but that sounded wonderful. We asked the hostess if it would be okay to sit and have just coffee and crepes suzette. Since they were not overly busy that night she allowed us to do so. We were very careful to make sure we did not mess the tablecloth so it would not have to be changed for this small repast, were very grateful and enjoyed it enormously. One of the best "meals" we have ever had anywhere and we will always remember how gracious they were when we asked politely.

I think the key might be to ask politely prior to sitting at a table and make sure they are not overly busy. They will appreciate the courtesy from you and may respond in kind. I don't think I would ever sit down at a nice restaurant in Paris and just order dessert without asking prior to sitting.