Desperate for help with Lausanne

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 08:44 AM
mks

Desperate for help with Lausanne

Has anyone been there? Looking for a luxury hotel to stay in. We really want to splurge as we will only be there 1nt/2days, or maybe 2 nights. Is this enough time? I am having trouble finding information. Is Lausanne even worth visitng? Also, does anyone know of a good website about lake tours and transportation around Lake Geneva? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 09:54 AM
s

mks:
You should have no trouble finding luxury lodging in Lausanne; the "grande dame" of deluxe Swiss hotels is the Beau-Rivage Palace in Lausanne (quoting from Fodor's). You can get more information at www.concierge.com or www.lausanne.ch or www.myswitzerland.com. For information on tours, etc, on the lake, check out www.lake-geneva-region.ch.

Although it's a good base to explore the surrounding vineyards, I've never really been drawn to Lausanne. I prefer the smaller resort cities of Montreux (www.montreux.ch) and Vevey (www.vevey.ch). Montreux's best hotel is the five-star Montreux Palace (a member of the Leading Hotels of the World), while Vevey offers Des Trois Couronnes and Le Mirador spa above the city.

s

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 02:19 AM
Tracy

Hi MKS --

IMHO, Lausanne is boring. Have you checked the French side of Lac Leman?

This might be the kind of thing you have in mind:
http://www.royal-evian.com/

From Geneva you can take the CGN steamer boats up to Evian (they don't have their complete timetable posted, but you can buy a one way Geneve --> Evian):
http://www.keytours.ch/CGNcrois.htm

Hope this helps -- the exchange rate is better with the French franc compared to the Swiss franc, too.

Have f

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 07:14 AM
mks

any other tips?

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 09:52 AM
mks

Help! To the top.