Degaulle airport and the Chunnel

Mar 23rd, 2000, 07:03 PM
Phyllis

Degaulle airport and the Chunnel

We will be staying at the Holiday in Express in Paris. It is near the Place de Italie in area 1A. Does anyone know what the least expensive mode of transportation would be to DeGaulle airport? Is there a public bus or another company we can use? If so what is the name o f it and the cost? If you don't know if it's available near our hotel, is there transportation from Paris center? We will leave London and go to Paris on the chunnel and only need a one-way ticket. Is it cheaper to buy it in the U.S. or in London? We will be going mid-week, so is one time of the day less expensive than others? Are there websites which will connect us to info about airport transportation in Paris or the chunnel? Thanks

Mar 23rd, 2000, 11:05 PM
joelle

The least expensive solution to get to Roissy airport is to take the metro from Place d'Italie + suburban train (via Gare du Nord).
Eurostar tickets one way are vey expensive even in second class. Maybe you better buy a discounted return ticket. This would be cheaper than a single way ticket. You can check the Eurotunnel.com site for more information. Buying your ticket in London, should you travel in the middle of the week should be OK in terms of seats available.

Mar 24th, 2000, 03:36 AM
Rex

Even when there are NOT sales in effect for the low-cost startup airlines, the "emperoro's clothes" high prices of the Eurostar (channel tunnel train) never seem to hold up against flying.

A check on www.travelocity.com this morning shows a typical price for LHR-CDG roundtrip of $132.40 on Air France, $139.40 on British Midland, $140.60 on BA. Similar cheap fares seem to be ubiquitously available for LON-BRU and LON-AMS.

Mar 24th, 2000, 09:26 AM
elvira

Cheapest way to get to CDG is the metro/RER as noted (it's the RER B line; you can take the metro from Place d'Italie to Denfert-Rochereau and get the RER there).
There ares the AirFrance Bus and the RoissyBus, both stop well away from the 13th; not practical.
If there are 3 or more of you, a taxi or car/driver hire may be better (cost split three ways is about the cost of the train, no dealing with baggage, door-to-door service.
I like the RER but only with minimal luggage...and with only 2 or 3 people (trying to make sure 6 people all get on and off together can be nerve-wracking).

Mar 24th, 2000, 10:13 AM
elvira

I hit the post my reply too fast:

re the chunnel eurostar: www.eurostar.com

Rex is right; the fares are as complicated as airfares; weekends are usually cheaper (think "commuter train"), but there are deals for 2 travelling together, special prices for travelling on days with the letter "r" in them during a full moon, you name it. It IS usually cheaper to buy ahead because the super deals disappear quickly.
Rex pointed out alternatives to the Chunnel via airplane, but I tot up convenience plus added costs to see which works, and the Chunnel always wins: You go from downtown to downtown with just subway ticket cost on either end; 3 1/2 hours on the chunnel, with maybe 15 mins travel time on each end for about 4 hours total and just the cost of the Eurostar ticket plus subway fare.
From London to Heathrow/Gatwick is an hour plus $20 (more or less); hour plus on the plane, then another hour from CDG/Orly to Paris, and another $20. Remember, you have to be at the airport at least one hour before departure (vs 20 mins for the Eurostar).
If the plane fare is $100 less than the Eurostar, it might be worth it.
Heck, if they could build a tunnel from Boston to Paris, I'd take the train...

Mar 24th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Rex

Elvira,

For a large proportion of travelers, especially when the question is center city to center city, I agree with Eurostar.

I also hasten to point out that the cheapest way to London could be via Dublin - - on www.ryanair.com - - but this primarily makes sense if you'd like to spend a day in Dublin. Of course, Paris Beauvais (BVA) is NOT convenient to center city.

But in the name of consistency, I often recommend getting OUT of Paris for at least one or two nights - - helps "average down" lodging costs, and "average up" quality (well, maybe charm is the more acccurate word) of the places you stay. And for those travelers who are doing something like going to the Loire, or Normandy, or Epernay or whereever, I like to point out that flying can be cheaper if you are not starting in center city anyhow.