Reload this Page >

Designer knockoffs Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Anon

I am going to Italy in a month and will be in Milan, Venice, Florence and Rome. Where can I buy designer knockoffs, in particular, handbags? I promised my sister I would buy her a knockoff Fendi or Prada bag.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 05:57 AM
lovemytods

Your kidding??? you are going to Italy, the mecca of quality leather goods and you want to buy a fake, crappy bag? go figure!!! try your local Wal-Mart for made in Taiwan crap...and leave the good stuff for those of us who appreciate fine leather goods. FYI, I bought a beautiful Tods bag in Milan last Oct and paid less than 500.00 for it. It retails for 1,100 at Neimans...now if I could just find a reduced price Hermes bag, life would be perfect.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Ira

Dear Anon<BR>You can by famous name knockoffs at home for less than they will cost in Italy.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:15 AM
xxx

The knockoffs are from Asia, so perhaps you should try Shanghai or Hong Kong. Or vendors along Canal Street in NYC.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:40 AM
m

I did see people selling 'knock-offs' in Venice all over the place. But beware, they will try to rip you off. If you have any inclination to buy a knock-off, bargain with the seller. Make an offer at a much lower price then walk away. out of curiosity i asked the price of a 'fendi' tote. as i walked away showing no interest the price dropped about 75%. i didn't buy it.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Andrea

If that's really what your sister wants, and you don't find one in Italy (I noticed some in Venice but can't specifically remember seeing them anywhere else), send me an e-mail at the above address with the kind that she wants and I'll mail you one. I live in Shanghai and they're less than $5 here, with all the latest styles of every brand you can imagine. <BR><BR>A fellow Fodorite was recently kind enough to mail me the Williams Sonoma Paris issue when I posted a wish that I could get such things in China, so I'd be happy to pass the favor along and send something to you!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:52 AM
sally

I agree with your sister and think it is a good idea to buy a fake if you are buying a trendy bag. The fake leather bags are crappy but if she just wants a fendi, prada or LV bag in the logo fabric (which isn't leather in the real bags either), you'll find what you want from the street vendors. You will see very well dressed women buying these fakes which makes you think a lot of the bags in Italy must be fake. <BR>In rome you will find pretty good vendors around the campo di fiori. The more touristy areas have worse looking bags. Also only agree to pay less than half of what they ask for and count your change (they tried to rip me off). I didn't see as many vendors in Florence.<BR>I bought a cute small fake fendi bag for about $30. Everyone seems to think it is real. You can only tell by looking inside (crummy lining) that it is a knock off. Given that the bag now looks unstylish, just 6 mos. later, I am glad I didn't pay $300 for it.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:27 AM
chi

Perhaps Anon's husband would like to buy my imitation Ferrari. It looks a little like a Nissan Maxima, but it will surely impress his buds back home.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Ana

lovemytods-<BR>There is a difference between apprciating fine goods and BEING ABLE TO AFFORD THEM.<BR><BR>Why would you assume that Anon can afford to spend $500 on a bag? I appreciate name brand goods, but after blowing $380 on a Gucci bag (not leather) in Venice recently I am wondering if it was worth it.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:05 AM
mine's not F or P

What's all the hullabaloo about designers bags? Good grief, there's excellent shops in Italy where you can buy lovely leather goods that aren't "NAME BRAND" designers and are an excellent quality & stylish handbag. I still get compliments on a purse I bought in Lucca several years ago. <BR><BR>Anon, it's really easy to buy knock-offs from the street vendors. When I was in Italy last year, I noticed in Venice & Florence the "handbag" men usually laid out their merchandise during the afternoon. Most of them have similar stuff, so, be casual, ask price & haggle about the price. Start to walk away and then you'll get your lowest price. If one's not willing to dicker, there will be another around the corner who will.<BR>

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Anon

Good grief! I asked how to buy a designer knockoff for my sister and I get insults about my level of taste and social class. FYI I am an investment banking professional (hence the stop in Milan and my visit to Italy), my sister is a 20 year old college student. She loves wearing the latest trends. While I can afford the "real stuff", she can't. She wants a couple of those small knockoff designer bags, I just wanted to know which is the best city to buy them in. It sounds like they are pretty much all over. Thanks for the advice!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Ira

Hi Anon,<BR>Some folks can't send a message without being insulting.<BR><BR>I do think that you will be able to do just as well from a sidewalk vendor in NY.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Ilovemytods

I am the woman who posted about my Tods bag. I apologize !!! a 20 year old is very in to fashion. And these bags go out of style quickly, so a fake would be a good idea. I would never spend 300 on a plastic Gucci bag. I only buy leather and then I buy one purse every few years. This way I can buy the very best I can afford. The original poster provided more info when she had to defend herself, it would have been easier to just state that in original post. Once again, I apologize for being rude...

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Anon

Lovemytods, apology accepted. Perhaps I should have stated that my sister couldn't buy the real thing in my original post. I just didn't think it was a big deal and I knew many on this forum would no where to get them. Personally, I am with you. I only buy good quality bags every year or two. I prefer Coach and Dooney & Bourke. (I'm preppy what can I say, lol). I was actually thinking that if I can find her a reasonably priced real bag I may buy it for her as a Christmas/Birthday gift. She only wants the very tiny bags anyway, maybe I can get something in the $300 range. The real question is what do these girls fit in these tiny bags? I can't see how they hold more than lipstick and keys.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:12 PM
nicki

I was just in Rome, and found many street vendors (especially near piazza navona) selling imitation designer handbags. They are very well done! I shop on canal street in NYC and the Handbags in Rome are better.