deruta - siena pottery

Old Sep 5th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deruta - siena pottery

will be driving from rome to deruta on a sunday. Does anybody know if the stores would be open on sunday, interested in buying a set of dishes. Also have a set of dishes from Siena - the 12 tribes - the store I bought them from closed down and I was wondering if anybody knew any pottery stores that sell plates with the 12 tribes on them from Siena?
thank you in advance
carol
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Shops in the Deruta town center will be open on Sunday but may close during the lunch period. Be sure to time your visit accordingly.

Sorry, I can't help with the 12 tribes question.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Have you been to Deruta before? My wife and I have visited a dozen times, shopping, buying and visiting with friends made in town. No criticism, but I'm always uncertain what people are describing as the "town center". There are many, many artisans in small shops as well as large majolica fattorias in Deruta. Both exist in the "lower" section of the town and there are many worthwhile places to inspect. The lower section is quite spread out and extends several kilometers north and south from the center crossroads. The upper "alto centro" is much smaller and confined to the older, tight section of the town and contains mostly small artisanal shops with craftsmen and women painting and working in situ. Some of these shops also have showrooms and support down below. My advice is to definitely not miss the upper village.

Zoecat is spot on with the Sunday advice and the mid-day break will be especially in effect on a Sunday.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the information. are there any shops you might recommend or streets i should be
walking on? I like the geometric designs.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 09:18 AM

I too like geometric designs and have spent many hours window shopping for them all over Italy and in particular, Deruta. My wife likes a variety of styles which can incorporate those features as well as others--she has even designed some with artisits in the area. I'm afraid I can't direct you to a specific shop or artist for geometrics although they are present.

I don't want to be a shill but since you asked--Geribi has always been a favorite. Assunta paints/works in the small upper town shop while Gerardo works the lower town showroom. The quality of their work is exceptional and covers a variety of styles. The upper town has many skilled artisans which display geometric designs as well as other unique styles. Spend some time exploring and you will be rewarded--fantastic skill and artistry. I recall going down into the bowells of a shopin the upper centro where a 900 yr old fornace was still being used and on our last visit met an exceptional "master" with fabulous reproductions of Michelangelo masterpieces (in the lower village center). With any luck, this won't be your last visit!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

thank you very much, i can't wait to go exploring.