Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Depart in 2 weeks, we're the ones with no plans just a hire car! Whats your thoughts on this 'plan'?

Search

Depart in 2 weeks, we're the ones with no plans just a hire car! Whats your thoughts on this 'plan'?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive into LHR midday May 3. I've booked one night with Priceline at the Marriot. Hope to feel like heading into London for dinner and a little look 'around'. (we've been once before)
We pick up a hire car the next day and thats pretty much our plans for the next 28 days. Just drive and stop where we fancy.

I have started to think that perhaps it may be a good idea to have the first two nights booked somewhere? I'm thinking of the Cricket Field B&B at Salisbury (thanks to wonderful advice from a fellow fodorite) for a couple of nights. Spend the days getting body clocks sorted and sight seeing.

Also I think if I've researched correctly, its only about an 1.5hour drive from LHR? Not too taxing for the first 'drive'.

Love your thoughts.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you at least researched some places to stay along your route?

There's certainly nothing wrong with your plan, as long as you realize you may have to spend some extra time each day arranging your lodging for that night (having to pay more than you expected, or backtrack to find availability, or stay in a less nice place than you wanted, are the kinds of things that obviously may come up).
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Suze, (I just presume everyone knows what I'm doing ;-) )sorry should've explained better. Lots and Lots of research done. Have a AAA B&B guide with choices highlighted, plus some recommended from this site. Planning to book ahead by at least one day.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:09 PM

It looks like a sensitive thing to do to book your two first days.
Maybe if jet lag attacks you you won't be in the mood of going looking for a place to stay and maybe driving more than expected.
One never knows how one's body reacts after such a long flight!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Given the time of year that you are going this idea should be ok. I would suggest that you book your last night or two so you will be in a good position to return your car and get to the airport for the flight home.

Just be prepared to look around a little bit for your hotel or bed and breakfast.

I think I would pick out a few hotels to check out at major destinations.

If you were going in mid July, I would say that you would be taking a chance. Given that you will be there until late May improves your chances of finding vacancies.

I would not just assume a vacancy in London, however. Traffic is too messy in the inner city to figure on cruising around from hotel to hotel hunting for a room.

Do some risk assessment. What are your chances of being shut out in a given location and what are the consequences if you are?

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You really do need to book the nights May 4-5 and May 23-26 as far ahead as possible. Both are Bank Holiday weekends.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 07:11 PM

We drove in the UK in May 2007 and found it was a bit harder getting places to stay that had a safe parking space for our hire car than we had thought. The local Tourist Info Center were a great help with bookings. Stayed in many geat places, mainly in Cornwall and Devon and around the coast to Dover. Also we ran in to Half Term Holidays and found lots of places were booked out. Check when the school holidays were.
The distances to drive were not long but with VERY NARROW roads it takes a bit longer than you think. Have a great time.

Sandra (another aussie)
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks one and all. I will book the Cricket Feild b&b for Sunday May 4 & Monday May 5.

bob_brown...We were thinking that in major city's where we may spend a few days we will probably use larger hotels. But will make a point of booking ahead.

There is only the two of us and we are fairly seasoned travelers so not too stressed about not being able to find 'somewhere' to stay. Reminds me of the time we were in Hannover for a trade show and the hotel we had booked was filthy and horrible. We didn't check in, thought we could just find something. NOT. I really thought we were going to hire the car an extra night and sleep in it. We ended up staying in 3 seperate hotels each night.........funny in hindsight.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 08:39 PM

you do need to plan <u>as far ahead as possible</u> for your last weekend as well. The end of May bank holiday is much busier holiday than the first weekend in May. If you are in a scenic area at that time, it is very likely everything will be totally booked up.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:32 PM

Janis is quite correct - the May Bank Holidays are very busy. I would be astounded if you get to Salisbury in an hour and a half as well. The Bank Holiday traffic can be horrendous, and is always worse if the sun shines!
Thelast week in May (w/c 26th) starts off with a Bank Holiday on the Monday and then the schoolchildren have the rest of the week off for half term (known as Whit week). Everything is MUCH busier this week - often in England it is the first decent spell of weather that we get so it is a tradition that we all go off on holiday during this period!
If you are heading for tourist hotspots such as the Lake District then do think of booking somewhere nice in advance rather than taking pot luck. I always think the nice places book up quickly for a good reason! Many places in the Lakes won't accept a booking for less than 2 days.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:41 AM

Well aussiedreamer will be driving on the Sunday to Salisbury, so I don't imagine the traffic will be too bad at all (unless there is some special event happening somewhere along on the route, or there is an accident). The busy driving periods around a bank holiday are generally Friday evening and Monday afternoon. Also the first bank holiday in May is not too busy at all - at least it is the least busy bank holiday of the year. We often go away on this bank holiday because crowds are less but we still get an extra day!

However the second bank holiday in May is another matter though. That weekend and the following week are always very busy because it is also school half-term holidays - and as Morgana said often our first spell of good summer-like weather. I totally agree that for this week you should definitely plan ahead.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

We depart LHR Saturday 31 May for Dubai.

We had been thinking of spending the last 'few' days in London. May see a show and stay somewhere nice before leaving. And catching up with a friend in Northhampton (I think)

are London Hotels equally as busy on bank holidays?
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:53 AM

On a much more mundane note..how are you planning to get from the airport terminal over to the Marriott and from the Marriott into London for that dinner, etc.?

And which car rental agency are you using. You could, with a long walk, get to at least hertz from the Marriott.

Just some thoughts..not trying to be an SOB about it...I've been through this whole drill before and from that particular hotel, too.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:45 AM

TTT
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:33 AM

I think your &quot;no plans&quot; plan, especially for the amount of time you have available, is absolutely wonderful. I am very envious. The ability to stay an extra few days when you find an area that interests you, or to move on when you are not getting much out of your current location, is just fantastic.

Have a great time.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:42 AM

You can get to the Marriott on the Bath Road using the Hoppa bus, local bus, or a short taxi ride. You can get from the Marriott into London by taking any of the above back to LHR and then taking the tube or Heathrow Express.

And it would be a short taxi ride from the Marriott to any of the car hire depots. No big problems transport-wise . . . .
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Woh thanks everyone.

I didn't want to bog you all down with specific arrangements, but.... I should have been more specific. We have a 'plan' as such, but we can be very flexible. As for how to get to the Marriot, as we are flying B/Class (yahooo) with Emirates, they actually supply a driver. So that wont be an issue. As for how to get into London for &quot;that&quot; dinner..........don't know yet I was thinking of the train/tube? But as we have no idea how we will be feeling I'm not too concerned. We may end up having room service dinner and going to bed early.

We have long hauled a few times but never B/Class, I'm hoping that although the body clock maybe all turned around, we shouldn't be quite so 'wrecked'.

The car is booked with Hertz.

I have just heard back from the Cricket Feild House Hotel in Salisbury, sounds a 'little' expensive, but I think to secure our first two nights 'on the road' I will go ahead and book it. 95GBP per room c/w b/fast. Thoughts????

And thanks sevendown, I was starting to doubt our flexible itiniary.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi aussie,

as others have said, apart from the bank hols, you shouldn't have any problems finding somewhere, though not necessarily your first choice.

don't bank on being able to get in in big towns though - last Monday I needed to stay overnight in Exeter unexpectedly, and the cheapest room I could find was &pound;145!!!

I never did find out what was happening in Exeter that night -
smaller places like tavistock and okehampton would probably have been a better bet.

my only negative thought about your trip is that the ad hoc approach may lead to you spreading yourselves a bit thin - a few stays of 3 days or longer will enable you to draw breath and relax [and perhaps do some washing!] before you set off again.

have a great trip,

regards, ann