Ireland-reserve B&B's in advance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling in Ireland from May 25-June 6. We had planned on reserving our first and last nights stay in advance and booking the rest as we go. If we do this, are we in danger of placed being full? Do you recommend that we book every location in advance?<BR>Thank you for your thoughts.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:34 AM

This is a very hotly debated topic. <BR>I am a person who likes having things planned out. Others like the freedom to 'go as you please' <BR><BR>Definitely book your first and last nights. Book any nights in Dublin as well. <BR><BR>Since you are going at the start of the high season - If you are planning on being in any of the more popular places over a weekend (fri/sat) - Kinsale, Killarney, Galway, Doolin, Kilkenny - You probably want to book them too. <BR><BR>One thing that has me booking in advance is that , I don't want to spend time running from place to place searching for a place to sleep that night. I like checking out the prices / rooms / reviews ahead of time, so that I am confident in my choice. I usually have a pretty limited budget,(about 35 pps a night) so I do my work ahead of time to get the most for my dollar. <BR>I would worry that I would get to a town and end up spending way more for a night than my budget calls for, if there is limited availablity.<BR><BR>If you are a free and easy sort, then , chance-ing it night to night might be more your style. <BR><BR>Debbie
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:41 AM

This is always the subject of great debate. At that time of year, you are usually OK, but you probably won't get your first choices. You will just be missing the bank holiday, so you should be able to get by.<BR><BR>If you are traveling with a group and using multiple rooms, you would be better off booking in advance. If you know what town you will be staying every night, and can get good recommendations for B&amp;Bs, go ahead and book in advance. I usually use a combination of some of my favorites booked and just taking chances in others. It has worked well for me and I usually travel just a bit earlier than you.<BR><BR>I won't cover all of the arguments for and against for you as I'm sure others will drop by and do that. <BR><BR>The good news is that Ireland is loaded with B&amp;B's and you will be able to find a room. You may not get that special place with a view of the ocean though. Take your pick at what you are comfortable with.<BR><BR>Bill
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 09:40 AM

the irish tourist board can give you a listing of their offices-some of which are only open seasonally. after booking first night lodgings in advance, we usually stop midday at one of those offices and check out availability. the staff is usually very knowledgable about all the places<BR>available for that night. failing an office, we usually go for the best looking garden--hasn't failed us yet. have a great trip and enjoy the long days.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Good recommendations (as usual) from both Debbie and Bill and I agree with them 100% for the pros in booking ahead. <BR><BR>If you are traveling with four or more people then I suggest you book in advance just so you can be sure of all of you staying in the same B&amp;B. <BR>Also if you or anyone you are traveling with has allergies (many homes have dogs or cats that live there, too).<BR>Or if you must have a non-smoking room as these fill up fast. <BR>And if you have children. <BR><BR>I like to book in advance so that I can get in, find my B&amp;B, often chat with the owners who are the best source for where to visit locally and then still have time to go out and explore -- or if I'm running late I can call ahead and let them know I'm still coming so they don't give my room away and then have to knock on people's doors late in the evening.<BR><BR>Only once has prebooking let me down. On advice from a travel guide I booked 2 double en suite rooms at a B&amp;B. We had called ahead to let them know we were coming but got lost along the way and so came in a bit late. The place was not even close to clean and they had given our rooms away eventhough I had prepaid for them IN FULL 2 months previously - to be fair they did offer us 2 non ensuite rooms but these were as insufficient as the rest of the house. We mulled it over and decided not to stay so were stuck looking for a place after 8pm. We ended up in a very nice hotel - which I found from the same book - but it just goes to show you that the best laid plans still don't always work out.<BR><BR>At the very least I would have 2 or 3 places that would be OK for you in each major area you visit. <BR><BR>wendy