Settlement Chart

The Railway Labor Act

Site Map & Search

Site Help

Home Delta Pilot Negotiations Update

Delta Pilot Contract Negotiations Update
Updated April 12, 2001, 4:00pm
Delta Says Presidential Emergency Board May be Needed

Delta's operations are continuing as scheduled. Our customers can be confident that Delta will continue to meet their travel needs.

Negotiators representing Delta and the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) are scheduled to resume talks in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, April 18 with the assistance of federal mediators. Delta’s offer would make its pilots the highest paid in the industry, adding approximately $2 billion in costs to the airline over the next four years. ALPA’s current proposal would add approximately $3.7 billion above current costs for the same period. Pilot pay and other contract sections remain unresolved.

In the absence of a willingness by ALPA to work toward a solution that is economically realistic, there is little reason to believe an agreement can be reached within the NMB-established cooling off period. However, Delta remains confident a settlement can be reached with no disruption of service.

President George W. Bush has already stated his intention to "take the necessary steps to prevent major airline strikes from happening this year." Under federal law, he can appoint a Presidential Emergency Board to avert strikes that would deprive any section of the country of essential transportation service.

On Monday, April 9, Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta reaffirmed President Bush’s stated intention to use his authority to prevent major airline strikes this year: "The president has forcefully indicated that he does not want any strikes and I'm fully supportive of that decision." Mineta expounded on that statement, as reported by Bloomberg News service April 10: "We are going to be using all the authority given to the executive branch to resolve these labor disputes and not disrupt the public or the economy."

Delta remains committed to the bargaining process and is hopeful a negotiated settlement can be reached.

Does this mean that the pilots can strike?
No. Delta's operations are continuing as scheduled. The union cannot call a strike during the cooling off period established by the NMB. In addition, President Bush has said he would take appropriate steps to protect the economy and the traveling public from interruptions in airline service. Finally, Delta’s contract offer would provide industry-leading pay rates and other contract improvements to Delta pilots.

Should I make reservations on Delta?
Yes. Our customers can book with confidence.

Why are you confident that Delta will be able to provide customers with uninterrupted service?
Scheduled service will continue. In addition, President Bush has said he would take appropriate steps to protect the economy and the traveling public from interruptions in airline service. Finally, Delta’s contract offer would provide industry-leading pay rates and other contract improvements to Delta pilots.

For additional information, please select Customer Questions, Proffer of Arbitration, 30-Day Cooling-Off Period, Tentative Agreement, Recent News Releases, Settlement Chart or The Railway Labor Act at top left.

©2001 Delta Air Lines
News Releases | Privacy Policy | Security | Legal Notices | Customer Commitment | Web Compatibility

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 09:58 AM
joe g

-

Who knows exactly when Delta's "cooling off" period ends? For some reason April 30th sticks in my mind, but not sure about it.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 06:56 PM
j

Joe, there is to be another meeting 18th April, I am going to keep an eye on the Delta site. I have called Delta, however they do not seem to be any more informed than the general public at this point. j

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Strike date is April 29, but that will very likely be pushed off by 2 months by President Bush.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 04:58 PM
j

Congratulations to Fodors, only place I have been able to find current news on this potential strike.(home page)