Reload this Page >

Delphi and Meteora OR Napflio and Mycenae

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fellow Fodorites,
We're still formulating our trip to Greece, and are wondering about how best to spend a 2 or 3-day period. If we are based in Athens, would you suggest a combined trip to Delphi and Meteora? Or a trip to Napflio, Epidaurus and Mycenae? If we were to use public transport, rather than renting a car or joining a group tour - which of these two itineraries is more do-able? We would stay over in either Napflio or Kalambaka(Meteora)for a night. I realize that these are very different trips, require different transit times, and much depends on personal preference of course. Still, I would appreciate any and all thoughts or suggestions.
(I understand that the guided Delphi/Meteora trips spend about an hour or two at Delphi, and visit two monasteries the following morning. It seems that the vast majority of such a two-day trip is therefore spent on the bus.)
By the way, our trip will also include Santorini and Rhodes.
Thanks.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Tough question. Have been to all but Meteora. I think the Delphi/Meteora trip would be the most dramatic.
We drove to all places so I can't comment on other modes of transportation.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM

It all depends on what you want...and only YOU can decide that. One of these involves a LOT of driving and an ancient site on a high place, and monassteries on REALLY high places.

The 2-day Peloponnese tour takes about 2 hrs driving time each way. It guides you to 2 ancient sites (the first morning is mycenae the second afternoon is Epidaurus). In between, you have a free afternoon, evening AND next morning to explore the delights of Nafplio, a gem of a town (a World Heritage site) with THREE fortresses, stair-step streets festooned with flowering vines, marvy chic shops, and a STUNNING waterside sunset. I guess you can tell which I favor. I've not taken the tour, but I was tipped off regarding Nafplio back in 1999... and since then have been to the area 4 times and have many discoveries still on my to-do list!
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 06:32 PM

I,myself prefer the Napflio/Mycenae option. I LOVE Napflio and the wonderful town that it is-great eating,shopping,sighseeing,etc. I used it as a base when driving that area for daytrips(to Mycenae,Epidaurus,etc.) and it was perfect. Delphi and Meteora are beautiful so it will be a hard choice I am sure. Have fun!
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM

I vote for Delphi and Meteora. Mycenae was interesting too but can't beat Delphi and Meteora for flat out amazing.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:34 AM

Another vote for Delphi and Meteora. I thought Meteora was amazing.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM

Well, I have seen both of these regions by public transport...both are do-able, but Napflio, Epidaurus and Mycenae would probably be easiest (and closer).

There are frequent buses from Athens to Delphi (3hrsish) or Athens to Kalambaka (or neighbouring Trikala -where you can then bus or taxi to Kalambaka). Kalambaka is quite a long distance from Athens however....at least 5 hrs if memory serves. Then I believe (you'll have to double check) that there are 2 direct buses from Delphi to Kalambaka which take about 4hrs.

You can get a general sense of greek long distance bus schedules at

www.athensinfoguide.com/busTT.htm

Once at the monasteries you can taxi up to the Grand Monastery and walk down to a few others - then taxi back to town (6Eish). It is a lot of walking, but doable (very pretty).

Delphi and Meteora are lovely, but with your short time frame in the area I would head south to Nafplio. From there you can also do a long day trip by bus to Mesta near Sparta - which I count as one of the best historical sites in Greece (I prefered it to Mycenae in fact).

Nafplio is great - good gelato, fantastic and massive fortress, little island fortress is nice too. Tonnes to do in the area.

Have fun!

Naxos

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM

traveljean said it best--YOU have to choose. A tough choice with such a short time span. They all are wonderful.

Personally, Delphi is my top must-see in Greece after the Parthenon. But if you actually have 3 days, you could drive through Delphi--see it, cross the Corinth Canal and see a bit of ancient Corinth, then go on to Nauplia. Mycenae gets mixed reviews, but I found it very interesting. And I agree with the fans of Nauplia--lovely place.

I would think driving is more efficient than taking a bus, since you have to wait around for the bus schedule.

Don't forget you see alot of Greece along the road, an that counts for something, too.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback. Looks like the votes are just about a 50-50 split! The fact that Nafplio is much closer, and provides a good base for touring Mycenae and Epidaurus is certainly appealing. How much time would we need to tour each of the ruins? Are they different enough to warrant seeing both? Has anyone done the 2-day CHAT tour?
Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Mycenae and Epidaurus are very different. Epidaurus has a large theater, well preserved, very impressive. There are other ruins on the site, but I didn't explore them.

Mycenae is the remains of a hilltop city which figures prominently in Greek mythology as the home of Agamemnon, who left home to lead the Greeks in the Trojan War and returned after ten years to be murdered by his wife Clytemnestra, the sister of Helen of Troy. Over the centuries, this site has been the subject of intense study by generations of archeologists and adventurers, yielding vast treausures of gold (now located at the museum in Athens) and wave after wave of explanations differing according to the times in which they were undertaken. A fascinating account is found in the book, "The Tomb of Agamemnon" by Cathy Gere. Worth reading before visiting.

Also at Mycenae is an amazing monumental tomb shaped like a beehive, something quite spectacular.

I visited both these sites on a four day classical tour with GO Tours, and Mycenae was the only site on the tour where I felt I did not have enough time.

Also on this tour I visited Delphi and Meteora. Delphi is one of the most spectacular sites I have seen, resonating with myth and history. The Meteora was very worth seeing, but if I had to cut out one site, that would be my choice.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:26 PM

Hey Larz - tough call, but you can't make a wrong decision either way - all are amazing and worth seeing Delphi was personally one of my favorite sites and I have to agree with veramarie. But your choice, and again, you can't go wrong. I would consider using a private tour - lots of local cab companies in Athens provide this service...it's a little more pricey, but you get personal attention, avoid the crouds, get to stop where ever you want along the way, and travel time is generally shorter. Good luck and have fun!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM

anyone can recommend on a good english speaking tourist guide for the peloponese?